Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone got any Mysteries I could help with?? Threa

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 06:01

see below

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 06:02

Hi If you have any mysteries in England & Wales and would like a different pair of eyes looking at it.. Please post your info here will do all I can to help or will advise you what to do. Look forward to seeing your mysteries Zoe

Emma

Emma Report 16 Apr 2006 08:08

Hi Zoe, here's my mystery: My great great grandmother was Hannah Ann Lusher, born Attleborough, Norfolk, 1834. In the 1841 census she is living with John Lusher & Mary Everitt in Attleborough, and listed as their daughter. In the 1851 census she is a servant in a different household. I came across a website listing baptisms in Norfolk, and found a result for a Hannah Ann Lusher, baptised in New Buckenham in 1834. This village is right next to Attleborough, so I think it's her. But here's the interesting bit: her parents are listed as William & Esther Harriet Lusher. This same couple also had another daughter baptised: Rebecca in 1837. The children of the same John & Mary Lusher from the 1841 census are listed on this same baptism site as well, but there's sign that they had a daughter called Hannah. Their children are: James, Sarah, George & Rebecca. On the LDS site, I found that this couple had another son: William in 1811. I had someone look them up in the 1851 census, and they had two Rebecca's living with them - both listed as daughters. One born 1830, the other 1837 (which corresponds with the baptism dates). So form all this, I have concluded (but am not sure) that Hannah and the younger Rebecca were actually the daughters of John & Mary's son William. I found a marriage between a William Lusher and a Harriet Briggs in January 1834, but there's no sign of them in the 1841 or 51 census. What happened to them? Cheers, Emma.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 16 Apr 2006 09:06

Hi Zoe, Could you have a bash at trying to find my HEWITT lot please. Ann HEWITT born 1844. Brith 8 Nov 1844, Cawthorne, near Barnsley, Yorkshire. This is an LDS submission and according to Ann's marriage certificate in 1866 she was age 20. I thave the 1841 which shows the family (minus Ann) in Barugh, Barnsley. I think they were in Barugh, Darton area of Barnsley in 1851 but apparently the records for that area no longer exist. I have been unable to find any of the family on the 1861. Ann's father was Daley (or Dally, or Dalliah, or anything similar) but he died abt 1846. Her mother was called Elizabeth and was born abt 1816. Siblings I know of were: Mark born abt 1836 Martha abt 1838 Joseph 1840 Thomas 1841 Ann married George CARR and I can find her and family in Barnsley 1871, 1881, and so on. In 1881 living with the family as a boarder is Joe HEWITT age 41. He is unmarried. I have assumed this is Ann's brother. I can't find any trace of him before 1881. I have tried all the combinations I can think of so I think it needs a fresh approach. Many thanks Jenny

David

David Report 16 Apr 2006 10:40

Hi Zoe!! Thanks for the offer!!! Have been trying to work out a problem for months regarding a ROBERT ELLIS. Who is his mother??? The 1851 Census is where he first appears living with his grandfather, John Howell. It states he was born in 1844. In 1861 he is living with George and Elizabeth Nicholas ( nee Howell) and is described as a Relative. There is no register of a birth certificate or no mention of his birth in the parish records. However his marriage cert states his father as a ROBERT ELLIS - Schoolteacher. I researched the 1841 Census and found his father working as a Private Tutor in Jeffreston - where the Robert 1844 was born. Here it says his father was not born in county an 30 years old. So if John Howell is his Grandfather then i am assuming that one of his daughters is Robert's mother. This is the problem!!!!! John Howell's eldest daughter was Elizabeth born in 1828 so only 16 when Robert was born. Do you think that the Private tutor got her pregnant????? He has left the area by the 1851 Census!!! Robert is then living with Elizabeth(Nicholas) in 1861!!! Could this be a clue?? Do you have any ideas how I can go forward??? Or do you think that this will remain a Mystery?????

GinaS

GinaS Report 16 Apr 2006 11:57

Hi Zoe, I have a Lillian May Walker and Adele Willems. On their childrens birth certs, they are down as the wife of Joseph Henry Beverton, and the children carry his name. Their is no marriage registered to either ladies. The time period 1917 to 1921. My question, did the father or mother register the children, would proof be needed at the time to show a marriage had taken place. As one child was born in Oct.1920 and to the other lady a child born in June, 1921. It does look like one them was not married to him. He married lst in 1913 to a different lady, have that cert and then married in 1924 to Daisy, have that cert.. a busy chappie!!

Right said Fred

Right said Fred Report 16 Apr 2006 12:53

Hi Zoe, thanks for the offer! I have in my tree Alexander Sellars who was born in scotland in c.1830. I know that he married a Jane - and their first child was born in 1859/1858. From the census I know that Jane was born 1838/9 in Blyth, Norhumberland. I have found a marriage in 1857 between a ALexander Sellers and one of the other people on the page is Jane Elliot. looking back to the 1851 census there are two possibles - but when you trace the families forwards to the 1861 census Jane is still living at home so cannot be my Jane. Any ideas?

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 15:02

Emma Do you have Hannah's marriage cert? It's very strange to have two daughters of the same name so it is possible some of the children could be their grandchildren and they just passed them off as theirs, maybe the mother died. Do you have Williams birthyear by any chance and have you looked through deaths for Esther Harriett & William? Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 15:27

Christopher So this is her in 1851 Eliza Pritchard abt 1846 Puddlestone, Herefordshire, England Daughter Puddlestone Herefordshire Ellen Pritchard abt 1808 Pencomb, Herefordshire, England Wife Puddlestone Herefordshire **Fanny Pritchard abt 1838 Puddlestone, Herefordshire, England Daughter Puddlestone Herefordshire John Pritchard abt 1806 Stoke Prior, Herefordshire, England Head Puddlestone Herefordshire Joseph Pritchard abt 1844 Puddlestone, Herefordshire, England Son Puddlestone Herefordshire Louisa Ellen Pritchard abt 1848 Puddlestone, Herefordshire, England Daughter Puddlestone Herefordshire Mary Pritchard abt 1835 Puddlestone, Herefordshire, England Daughter Puddlestone Herefordshire Susan Pritchard abt 1840 Puddlestone, Herefordshire, England Daughter Puddlestone Herefordshire Could you please post the details you have for 1881/1841. Now I know there are some parts of the 1861 census missing maybe that's where your family have gone. There maybe missing census pieces from that area. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Found these on the IGI www.familysearch.org All to parents John & Eleanor 1. LOUISA ELLEN PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 04 JUN 1848 Puddlestone, Hereford, England 2. SUSANNA PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: FEB 1832 Puddlestone, Hereford, England *this one may have passed away* 3. SUSAN PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 12 APR 1840 Puddlestone, Hereford, England 4. GEORGE PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 25 OCT 1827 Puddlestone, Hereford, England 5. JOSEPH PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 07 JAN 1844 Puddlestone, Hereford, England 6. ELIZA PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 22 FEB 1846 Puddlestone, Hereford, England 7. JOHN PRITCHARD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 02 JAN 1830 Puddlestone, Hereford, England Get back to me with the info and I will look again. Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 15:30

Valerie Do you have any info ie fathers names who they married.. Do you have them in any censuses? Zoe

Lisa

Lisa Report 16 Apr 2006 15:33

Marriage Look up FOOT & CLEMENTS I have a mystery, would appreciate any advice or info. Frederick William FOOT (c1868), married Kate CLEMENTS nee HEAD (1869) around 1901 - 1903. I can find these names in those years, but not on the same page!? If you can view marriage cert. here is their parents names as I think they would appear on the seperate marriage cert? Frederick 's(c1868) father was also Frederick William FOOT Kate's (1869) father was Charles Samuel HEAD. thanks for your help Lisa in Australia

Trudi

Trudi Report 16 Apr 2006 15:36

Hi Zoe, I have one!!! I am looking for an Elizabeth who was born in 1790 in Kings Cliffe Northamptonshire. She married Thomas Haines in Queniborough , Leicestershirein 1819. I have this from census records and a cousin who says the info at the records center is not complete. I have trawlled through the usual sites and can only find 3 names born in Northamptonshire for 1790. None of them has a marraige record for them.If anyone has the probate records for this area it would be a great help. Trudi

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 15:43

Just Jenny Have you found any of the family in 1861 I keep getting probs with 1861 as there are quite a few pieces missing! Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 15:44

Pamela Could you please post the details here as not sure where you want me to look Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 16:02

Gloryer So 1901 Head does something at a cement works Rosetta is a Dom servant John is a ordinary Ag Lab 5 Castle Street Alfred Pearson abt 1898 Swanscombe, Kent, England Son Swanscombe Kent Eliza Pearson abt 1894 Swanscombe, Kent, England Daughter Swanscombe Kent Elizabeth A Pearson abt 1889 Swanscombe, Kent, England Daughter Swanscombe Kent Ethel Pearson abt 1900 Swanscombe, Kent, England Daughter Swanscombe Kent 3 Months George Pearson abt 1900 Swanscombe, Kent, England Grandson Swanscombe Kent 5 months John Pearson abt 1886 Swanscombe, Kent, England Son Swanscombe Kent Minnie S Pearson abt 1883 Swanscombe, Kent, England Daughter Swanscombe Kent Richard Pearson abt 1854 Stone, Kent, England Head Swanscombe Kent Rosetta Pearson abt 1860 Northfleet, Kent, England Wife Swanscombe Kent Rosetta Pearson abt 1879 Swanscombe, Kent, England Daughter Swanscombe Kent Hmm after going back with the family in the censuses the eldest are Rosetta(22) & Minnie(18) & John (15) George could actually be one of the girls as all the children are down as single I think this maybe the right cert Name: George Pearson Year of Registration: 1900 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Dartford County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 521 Because The 1901 Census for England was taken on the night of 31 March 1901 it states he is 5 months old this would make him born in the Dec quarter of 1900 and DARTFORD REGISTRATION DISTRICT Registration County : Kent. Created : 1.7.1837. Sub-districts : Bexley; Dartford; Erith; Farningham. GRO volumes : V (1837-51); 2a (1852-1930). Parishes in Kent (1837-1930): Ash, Bexley, Crayford, Darenth, Dartford, East Wickham, Erith, Eynsford, Farningham, Fawkham, Hartley, Horton Kirby, Kingsdown, Longfield, Lullingstone, Ridley, Southfleet, Stone by Dartford, Sutton at Hone, **Swanscombe**, Wilmington. and here is Ethels birth they may both have the same address on them you never know. And you can look through the Marriage & Birth GRO index at Ancestry for free at the moment Good hunting Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 16:08

David What you are saying seems logical, maybe they didn't want records about his birth as she was unmarried have you contacted the parish for the area he was born at I know they had things called bastardy bonds, ask on the tips board as others maybe more helpful in explaining if you can get them or not. Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 16:11

Georgina It should tell you on the birth certs who registered them. Ask on the tips board if they had to show evidence at births. Does the fathers address and occupation match on both birth certs. And do the marriage certs give the same occupation and fathers name as details? If you have addresses on the certs it maybe useful to see if you can look at the electoral rolls for those it may shed some light on your situation Zoe

Debbie

Debbie Report 16 Apr 2006 16:20

Hi Zoe i have one for you i have lost my gt gt grand mother Emma Bill she is on the 51 61 + 71 census as living with her husband but after that i cant find her and on the next one he has another wife and children . He remarried in 1875 at Marylebone but i cant find her i have gone through the deaths from 1871 _ 1875 but nothing her name is Emma Bill born about 1826 _ 1830 it seems to change born in Gloucestershire or Hererfordshire that changes as well perhaps you can find her .she would have died in Marylebone . thank you Debbie

Emma

Emma Report 16 Apr 2006 16:24

Thanks for your reply, Zoe, Yes, I have William's birth year: 1811. I have checked for deaths. There is a death for a William Lusher in 1842, but I don't know how old this person was. If this is him, it doesn't explain why he didn't show up in the 1841 census. Could he have been in a poor house or infirmary?? I found a death for a Harriot Lusher in 1856, but again, if this is her, where was she in 41 & 51? Emma

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Apr 2006 16:28

Me Smithy You need to order one of the marriage certs to get his fathers name then you maybe able to go a step further back.You need to order certs to confirm things. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ There are only 2 posiblities for him in 1851 one is a Grandson to a Park family and the other is a son to a Robert. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maybe the 3rd marriage you found was his sons marriage. Name: Thomas Fallows Thompson Year of Registration: 1894 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Hartlepool (1859-1938) County: Co. Durham Volume: 10a Page: 226 Mary Ann Crooks on same page As on the 1901 Mary K Brennen abt 1880 Galway, Ireland Servant West Hartlepool Durham Florence M Crooks abt 1885 Hinderwell, Yorkshire, England Sister-in-law West Hartlepool Durham Mary A Thompson abt 1874 Hinderwell, Yorkshire, England Wife West Hartlepool Durham Thomas F Thompson abt 1872 Darlington, Durham, England Head West Hartlepool Durham Vera Thompson abt 1898 W Hpool, Durham, England Daughter West Hartlepool Durham Zoe