Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cor, new LMA records on Ancestry

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 18 Sep 2009 16:10

Did I miss them going on? Earliest are images which are going to take some scrutinising, but oh how lovely.

Heather

Heather Report 18 Sep 2009 16:13

Oh, oh oh, just found my GGPx2 marriage entry - wonderful - to see their handwriting :)

Oh oh oh, GGPx3 in Deptford, their marriage - oh this is wonderful.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Sep 2009 22:34

Wot ae LMA records please?

Margaret

Pam

Pam Report 18 Sep 2009 22:46

LMA = London Metropolitan Archives

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Sep 2009 22:48

Thanks Pam, of no interest to me, but glad they are for others.

Margaret

Pam

Pam Report 18 Sep 2009 22:48

The marriage entries are brilliant as you get to look at the actual page of the parish register and as you say, actually see their handwriting.

Pam

Pam Report 18 Sep 2009 22:50

It's not only LMA records that have been added........apparently 18 million parish records were added.. Go to Home page on Ancestry and click on What's New

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Sep 2009 22:57

i have just renewed Ancestry today and decided to upgrade to the Premium package and wow WEEEEE, have found a list of 58 baptisms/marriages for my Emons family in Bethnal Green and Shoreditch including the marriage in 1807 of the parents of all of them !! they had 8 children so thats why there's so many baptisms for all the childrens children.
Found too a child I wasnt aware of who was my maternal grt grans sister b1859 died 1861 pre the census ,she was called Clara Harriet Harvey and grt gran was born in 1862 and named Clara Rosina after her sister i would think .had i not found this baptism this little one would never have been put on my tree with her family.Am going to send for her death cert.
What is good too is that the vicar put the birth dates in the margin for the baptisms in Shoreditch ,which i would never have found for the pre 1837 births

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 19 Sep 2009 00:30

Pam, went to Ancestry, can't see anything that says What's New.

Am I thick?

Margaret

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 19 Sep 2009 03:31

Google
Ancestry whats new and it comes up

Pam

Pam Report 19 Sep 2009 09:06

Home page
Top left hand is section about new London Records
bottom of that section View all new records

Heather

Heather Report 19 Sep 2009 16:45

Im getting punch drunk now - TOO much is coming up in those records, lovely just found a 1765 marriage :)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Sep 2009 17:47

me too Heather,been going through all the Dartnell,s and Ashford,s from Deptford .lovely thing too is that the St Nicholas Deptford records show their birth dates too Invaluable for these early pre 1837 births.

Pam

Pam Report 20 Sep 2009 09:27

Some Baptism records have the date of birth others have not....depends on the Vicar. It's a shame there wasn't a separate column for Birth Date in their Registers.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 20 Sep 2009 10:12

A little bird told me that they are currently scanning wills at the LMA for ancestry. (Actually it's a friend who works there)

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 20 Sep 2009 11:59

AAaaaaggh...........will someone tell me where these records are.......I'm going bananas!! I've found the new database titles, but where do I go now?

Sue

Samantha

Samantha Report 20 Sep 2009 12:49

The fastest way to find these records is to go to the recent databases or what's new section - Baptisms and Burials 1813+ are indexed. Pre 1813 are browse only - indexing to come next year.

Marriages 1754-1921 are indexed.

Otherwise look under the births,marriages, deaths sub-section for England. The records will be marked 'new'.

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 20 Sep 2009 15:23

Thanks Samantha - off to spend another few hours on Ancestry...

I don't know about everyone else, but every time they update or introduce a new database I spend the next umpteen hours typing every name I can think of in my tree to see what comes up. It's amazing what you can find...

Sue

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 20 Sep 2009 15:43

Just skimming through the names...as you do...before spending some serious time tomorrow when I'm on my own, just a thought - now that I can look at marriages and print off the details, isn't this going to cut down their revenue from cert buying just a tad? Not that I'm complaining...

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Sep 2009 15:55

Well they arent connected to the GRO so guess they wont be bothered !
I used to vist the LRO at islington which is just a short walk from the LMA and what I couldnt find at the LRO cos its was pre 1837 i often found at the LMA there was no competion between the two