Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Essex Ancestors

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jul 2011 15:53

Edited 5 Mar 2012:
The records for Hatfield Broad Oak have recently been deposited with the ERO and are available in Essex Ancestors.

Previous:
Is now live and working well.

Read this thread if you have problems:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1284869 (edited 5th Nov)

Now no launch date showing on the SEAX site (edited 20th October)

Now slipped to 24th October (edited 15th October)

(Updated 8 October 2011)

The following message is included in the June Essex Records Office e-bulletin:

Essex Record Office will be launching Essex Ancestors on 30 August. This newservice will offer unlimited pay-to-browse access to Essex parish registers and many wills, giving customers fuller and wider access to our holdings from the comfort of their homes. Parish register coverage will extend from at least 1538 to 1837 with the period 1837 to the present partly included at go-live date or planned imminently. Marriages within the last 50 years will be excluded, in compliance with government guidelines, however.

Parish register and will images will become available for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months or 1 year according to the user’s need or preference, but we are pleased to say that access to the images will be free in the ERO Searchroom.

NOW CHANGED TO 17th October (edited 30 September 2011).

THE FOLLOWING ADDED 8th October 2011

The go-live date for Essex Ancestors, our new pay-to-browse subscription service for parish registers and wills has been re-scheduled for 17 October. We apologise for any disappointment caused to customers eager to register for this long-awaited upgrade to Seax.

Essex Ancestors will offer all parish registers for the historic county of Essex 1538-1837 and parishes A-F from 1837-date and many of our wills from go-live date. Parishes G-Z and the remainder of our wills will follow in coming months after the recruitment of a second digitiser. Marriages for the last 50 years will be excluded, in conformity with Stationery Office guidelines.

Access will be free in the ERO public searchroom and at Saffron Walden Archive Access Point. Subscriptions are 1 day £5.00, 1 week £15.00, 1 month £25.00, 6 months £50.00 and 1 year £75.00

Maddie

Maddie Report 1 Jul 2011 16:26

Hi KSE
good to hear as Essex parish records are very poor as I know to my cost
Just wonder what areas they will cover

thanks for the info
Maddie

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Jul 2011 16:30

Ooh!, sounds good that KSE, thankyou for that.

Chris :)

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jul 2011 16:37

I presume it is all parishes for which they hold data (the only exception being Hatfield Broad Oak). The list of available records is shown on the seax site
http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/default.asp

Maddie

Maddie Report 1 Jul 2011 16:43

tried that and got nowhere fast
maddie

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 1 Jul 2011 17:37

YIPEE!!!!

That means I can spend my rare time in the ERO actually getting my hands on real documents rather than winding through the register films.

Can't wait.
Thanks for posting KSE

Chris

jax

jax Report 1 Jul 2011 18:41

I have quite a few from Hatfield broad Oak and around that area, so thats not included then? Most of the others are West Ham, even though it says Essex I always think of it as London

jax

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jul 2011 19:03

For some reason the Hatfield Broad Oak parish has not deposited the records with the ERO. There is some discussion about that on Rootsweb.

Ken

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Jul 2011 20:14

Good news, as long as it is at a reasonable cost

Donna17

Donna17 Report 1 Jul 2011 20:41

Good news! Thank you :)

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 2 Jul 2011 12:10

Thank you for the information. When my grandmother got married in the early 1900's Walthamstow was also considered to be part of West Ham. It just goes to show how careful you have to be when looking for ancestors in a particular part of the country where county borders have changed over the years (e.g. London, Essex, Middlesex and Surrey).

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2011 13:36

Hope it covers Maldon/Heybridge Billericay etc as its a day trip for me to get to Chelmsford Record Office and then when i get there I dont really know what I am doing with all those microfiche records.lol :-(

jax

jax Report 2 Jul 2011 14:18

When I was born in Walthamstow it was still considered as part of Essex.

A lot of my ancestors started off in Islington which was fine for London records...then they moved a mile or two and were now in Essex aghhh

jax

Kense

Kense Report 4 Jul 2011 11:10

I wonder if the existing images that are currently available will still be free to view?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 4 Jul 2011 12:50

KSE

I wondered that too.

But it did explain why they had started putting them up and then it all stopped. Someone obviously realised they could make much needed money by making them 'pay to view' and I certainly don't begrudge them doing so :-)....Just have my fingers crossed that the cost is reasonable.

Chris

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 4 Jul 2011 21:24

nugde to save for later

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 4 Jul 2011 22:45

Have been using SEAX for some years now.

The digital images dating back through the century's for varying parishes have been a great resource for peeps like myself that live O/seas.

I to hope that the existing images will still be available for free.
60% of my family history relates to Essex.

Thanks for adding the thread.

Tony ( Australia )

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 5 Jul 2011 03:00

Tony, I agree with your comment as whilst I do not live as far away as you,my home is in Spain, I will use Seax as well, if I go back and have some spare time I may be able to use this resource.

04.08 hrs Spain :-)

Kayak

Kayak Report 5 Jul 2011 12:31

Thanks KSE
Bookmarked for later use

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 15 Jul 2011 06:47

Nudge :-)