Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 19:43

Is it possible, to order a Birth Certificate, if you don't have the number from looking up the birth?
Reason being is, i just carn't find it. I have baptism date, and also birth date. Father and Mother are uncomfirmed, but i do have names!

Kind regards Sally

kath23

kath23 Report 7 Aug 2011 19:46

Do you know the county the birth was registered ?

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 19:51

Hi Kmh

Yes he was born Liverpool, so the county was Lancashire

Sally

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2011 19:52

Yes, you can order a birth certificate with just the name, district and year (as long as it is a birth that was more than 50 years ago) but I think it may cost you more (but not sure about that).

Kath. x

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 19:56

Hi Kath

Thankyou for that info

Sally

kath23

kath23 Report 7 Aug 2011 20:02

As you know the place of birth take a look on www.lancashirebmd.uk.org

If the birth is on their you can order through them without the reference details
I think they charge £9.50
Depending on the year of the birth,sometimes it will give you mothers maiden name before ordering
Worth looking !
kath

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Aug 2011 20:02

Do you want to give some details of the person you are looking for the birth reg to order the cert.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2011 20:05

You would have to be 100% certain that you give the correct father's name or you may not get the certificate. For instance if you gave the father's name as, say, John James but it was actually James John, they would not issue the certificate, so it is better just or order with the facts that you know are 100% right.

If you want to give the name and year I'll have a look for the birth for you. If it is a recent birth you could send the details by private message.

Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Aug 2011 20:05

When asked if you have the GRO Reference reply No.

For the year of birth, enter 01/01/yyyy. That is the first of January for the year that you think is trhe correct one.

Enter ONLY the information that you are absolutely sure is correct. Do not enter info that you are not certain about.

The GRO will then search for the year you have quoted and one either side, using the info you have provided.

If they find a match to the info you have provided then they will issue the cert. If no match is found then you get a full refund.

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 20:11

Hi All

I have looked on free bmd, couldnt find him. Then i requested a lookup, Somebody told me they had found him, but the county was Warrington. I ordered Cert anyway. It was the only one. When it arrived it was the wrong one.

Sally

kath23

kath23 Report 7 Aug 2011 20:12

If you post the details I will take a look for you
Kath

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 20:37

Thankyou all for your info

James Mainwaring
From baptism records i have........ Birth 7th Dec 1858
Baptised..... 16th Jan 1859
In the Census 1861.....2yrs 1871.....11yrs 1881......21yrs.....1901......41
1911.......52. Carnt find him in 1891 Census
He is living in Liverpool. He married in 1882

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 20:48

Sorry, when i said James's parents names are uncomfirmed, what i ment was his Mothers maiden name. On marriage Cert is father Is Richard. On the census before he marrys his parents are Richard & Mary.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Aug 2011 20:49

Are his parents not shown on the baptism record?

Is he the son of Richard .a chairmaker in 1861?
Not all births were registered at that time, although they should have been.

Gwyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2011 20:50

With a birth that early there is a possibility that the birth wasn't registered at all so there would be no certificate (there weren't any penalties for not registering a birth until 1875 so many did not bother).

However there is this birth (if he had two names and his surname was spelt differently:-

Name: MANNERING, Daniel James
Registration District: West Derby
County: Lancashire
Year of Registration: 1858
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Mother's Maiden Name: Not available before 1911 Q3
Volume No: 8B
Page No: 274

West Derby would cover Liverpool.

Kath. x

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 20:55

Hi Gwyn

Yes he is the son of Richard Chairmaker
It said he was the son of Richard Mainwaring & Mary Doherty.
That is why i would like to get birth cert to comfirm

Sally

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Aug 2011 20:55

What makes you think the Warrington Birth for James Mainwaring is the wrong one as you don't know the parents names..??

sally

sally Report 7 Aug 2011 21:00

West Derby does cover liverpool Kath, but the Quarter is wrong for the birth i have Dec 7th 1858

Sally

Vicki

Vicki Report 7 Aug 2011 21:00

Just a thought - I used to have a boss called Mr Mainwaring, but everyone pronounced it Mannering - so this could well be how the registrar recorded it.

Vicki

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2011 21:03

Have you looked for a birth in the mother's maiden name?

If the baptism record gives his mother's name in full then it is likely that the parents were not married at the time.

However it is still a high possibility that the birth went unregistered.

Kath. x