Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

found marriage info but no divorce info..

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 20:15

hello, im new to this and need a little help.
i searched the nanes i want and they have come up in the births marriages and deaths,
im trying to find the date these 2 people divorced. i have checked but it says no results. only the marriages.
i also want to find out if there are any children in which they had together...
yr time and help will be so very appriciated.
thank u
serena xxxxx :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Dec 2015 20:19

Welcome to the Boards, Serena

You may be asking the impossible question in wanting to know about divorces

what time period are you looking at??

modern or ancestors (ie, more than 100 years ago)?

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 20:27

aww thank u for replying.
ohhh i thought that the divorce page was like the marriage page, it tells me when they got married but not divorced and dont say weather they had children . they married in 1959 but defo got divorced before 1975.
thank you
serena xxx :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Dec 2015 20:45

Serena,

I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way!

you cannot find divorce information like that ..... it is not registered the same way that births, marriages and deaths are.

To find if they have children, go to this free site ...................

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

click on births

enter father's surname in the first box

enter mother's maiden surname in the box labelled Spouse/Mother Surname

Enter dates in the boxes ....... eg, 1958 in the first box and 1975 in the second box

Click Find

Do not enter a county unless you are absolutely sure that they never moved from that county.

The town names are actually the Registration Districts, which may include several towns, villages, etc, so I rarely bother with that unless I know for a fact that all births have occurred in the Registration District that includes the town I want.

If you are lucky, then the names will be rare enough for any births to belong to your couple ................ if one or both have a common surname then it is much more difficult.

Someone else may be able to tell you where to look for divorces

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2015 20:46

The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937 : less than 0.2%

Decrees absolute (1858 to present)

Consult the GOV.UK website for details of how to request a copy of a decree absolute, legal proof of a divorce in England or Wales. If you don’t know which court ratified the divorce you can ask the Central Family Court to carry out a search (£) by filling in a D440 form.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
http://tinyurl.com/hy4ezey

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 20:50

ohhh thank u so so much. i will give it a go now. yr help is very appriciated.
thank u xxxxxxx <3

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 20:57

hi SylviaInCanada
i looked it up , if these 2 had 2 children but only one showed, can this happen?
serena xxx

+++DetEcTive+++

thank u for yr help im going to look now xxxx
:-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2015 21:03

Its possible that the other child doesn't show on freebmd as the entry hasn't been transcribed yet - it is an ongoing project. Even if you don't have the sub to view the records on GR, it is possible to make a free search which will give you the basics.
You may find additional gro index entries on another free site
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2285338

Re the Divorce
If you can trace them forward from a known date on historical Electoral Roll, you might be able to work out when they finally separated.

ER for your year range can, primarily, only be searched by address. Some are on line on Ancestry & can be searched by name. Not every year within the range is listed
London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965
Midlands, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1955
West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962

To research outside of those areas or years, you need an address to start with, perhaps from an old address book, or the addresses given on any child’s birth certificate. The ER are likely to be held at the closest archive or local studies centre/reference library to the address.

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 21:18

oh even if it was 1976???????/

it is actually me. im not there but my sister is the only one that came up
hmmmmmm
thanks hun for helping im really greatfull xxxx :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2015 21:26

Even it was in 1976 :-D
The breakdown of transcribed records can be found here - they haven't started on 1976 yet

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/progressB.shtml#y1970

If you were born mid to late Dec, your birth might be reg in early 1977. Technically the parents have 6 weeks to reg a birth, but if you were born in a large hospital, the local Registrar could have visited the post-natal ward. That did happen with our eldest when first time Mums expected to stay for a week or so.
Second time mums who had no problems were discharged earlier and may have missed the visit. In that case, either they or the father would have to go to the reg office.

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 21:33

but i put the dates between 1960 to 1984....
i should have been there shouldnt i? xxxx :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2015 21:38

Are we talking about Freebmd? It will be on an image, but not transcribed. Therefore the search on the data base won't pick it up.

Try
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2285338
They might have transcribed the entry so that the names are in a searchable data base.

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 21:42

looking now xxx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2015 21:42

Try looking at the un-indexed images on Freebmd. You'll have to complete the drop down box at the bottom on the page
http://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 21:44

my dad is deseesed but it just shows the mums name all the time.
i need to see if he fathered my sursopedly half sister xxxx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2015 21:58

You mean like
Smith, Jane, mothers maiden name Smith?
There should be 2 sets of numbers after the name eg 4b 170
If you were to cllick on the 170, it will display all other names listed on the same page and volume.
There might be another entry eg as
Brown, Jane mmn Smith

His surname will only appear if its listed on the BC. If they weren't married, then he would have been expected to attend the registration.

If you know your half-sisters date of birth, you could order a copy to check the info. Only birth certificates for someone born more than 50 years will be issued without additional information
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Were you raised as full siblings? Do you really want to rock-the-boat if you can't prove you share the same father? Please exercise caution

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 30 Dec 2015 22:11

ahhh ok. 1st me and my half sister r really close, im not doing anything she dont know about. xxx
we wasnt raised together no,
my sister (half) was born in 1960 my dad was married to someone else but had also known my mum.
my sister was sadly adopted out as it was out of wedlock and because her dad was indian, same as my dad (hmmm)
and my mum is full english and in that era it was unexceptable...
then my mum and dad married my mum in 1975, they had 1 child in 1972 then me in 1976. but everything my mum has told each of us dont add up at all...
and an old friend of mums who used to work with her in 1957 has just found her. i spoke to her on the phone and was told my mum knew my dad in 1958 and were together. very confusing....my mum will be left out of all this but my sister does know....im helping her.....im also wanting to find my dads 1st wife to shed some light xxxx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 01:12

Right - so as your mum had never been married at the time your half-sister was born, she would likely have been registered under your mother's surname.

Assuming your half-sister has accessed her adoption file, she probably has a copy of her BC. If not, she can order a copy from the GRO on the link provided earlier. From what you've already said, you've already found the details needed.

It possible that her adoption file names her father even if he isn't named on the certificate. Could she go back to Social Services and check?

Would it be right to say that you don't wish to ask your mum if you share the same father? If you both wanted to discover if you are full siblings, without involving her, you may have to consider DNA testing. It's not cheap. A quick search on-line indicates something in the region of £200-£250 although there are cheaper companies

One sites does state
"Sibling analysis is not as conclusive as paternity testing. The results will provide a statistical likelihood of whether two individuals are true biological relatives, but sibling analysis cannot provide a conclusive result."
http://www.cellmark.co.uk/dna_testing/sibling_dna_testing.php
Another site has a fuller explanation
http://www.genetrack.co.uk/tests/dna-sibling-test

FindingMyPast

FindingMyPast Report 31 Dec 2015 12:08

Hi. She does only have my mums name on her bc.
She also has all her adoption papers too.
Mum has said there was another man involved who she claims was my sisters dad....no evidance to this jyst a full name. But name is nowhere on the internet.
Dont really want to get mum involved because she is elderly now. Have asked few questions recently but they r the same answers. Nothing new.
Everything points to her and my dad being together at the time but dad married someone in 1959. Maybe it was an affair.

Yes the dna testing might not be acarate.
Have tried looking for his first wife and shes not on death register but she would be bout 80 now and might be in a home.

Thank u xxxx :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 12:24

Not sure were you can go with this – did your father have children with his first wife? Would it be possible to find them? It’s likely they’d know about you, if not your sister.
Use your father's surname and his first wife's maiden name to look for births on Freebmd.

If your paternal ‘uncle’ did father your sister, then comparison sibling DNA testing is going to be slewed. You might have to get a half-sibling from his first marriage to provide a sample. Awkward!

Try looking for family names on http://www.192.com/?gkw=192+com
if you get a 'hit', you could look them up on the free ER site
https://www.freeelectoralroll.co.uk/Electoral_Roll_Search.asp