Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help me please?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 2 Sep 2017 23:08

My nan lost a baby but not sure what year as my nan now is very seriously ill in hospital and wants me to find the resting place, yes difficult with little information. I can not even find a birth or death, have searched from 1950 to 1965.
My nan Evelyn Lowe, mmn Cope named her daughter Catherine, might be spelt differently, said her daughter died at a few weeks old so must be birth certificate, surely?
Once i have the certificate, if i can find one then rest be easy but at moment not getting nowhere and very little time. Can anyone help me please?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Sep 2017 23:47

Any area.?

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 2 Sep 2017 23:59

I think i got the name wrong, not Catherine, its Doreen.

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 2 Sep 2017 23:59

Sorry kay, Enfield middlesex :)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Sep 2017 00:53

I can't find a birth of a Doreen Lowe or a Doreen Cope with mmn Cope at all.

Is it possible that the baby was stillborn and therefore not on the publicly accessible register? Perhaps if your nan was ill at the time of the birth she was told the baby had lived when in fact it hadn't. It would seem strange if the baby died at a few weeks old that your nan did not know where the baby was buried.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Sep 2017 01:06

Like Kath I couldn't find a birth of Doreen Lowe or Cope.
Could this be your gran's marriage?

Marriages Mar 1953 (>99%)
Cope Evelyn R Lowe Edmonton 5e 646
LOWE Bernard J COPE Edmonton 5e 646

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Sep 2017 01:11

Could these be your gran's children?

Births Sep 1953 (>99%)

LOWE Anthony B COPE Edmonton 5e 471 Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1955 (>99%)

LOWE Brenda E A COPE Edmonton 5e 420 Scan available - click to view

Births Jun 1957 (>99%)

LOWE Gillian P COPE Edmonton 5e 519 Scan available - click to view

Births Dec 1958 (>99%)

LOWE Patricia M COPE Edmonton 5e 469 Scan available - click to view

Births Dec 1962 (>99%)

LOWE Ian D COPE Edmonton 5e 505 Scan available - click to view

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Sep 2017 12:23

I don't see any deaths of Lowe infants in Edmonton district, 1953 - 70, apart from one who was the son of different couple.

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 3 Sep 2017 18:17

Hi,,

Your best bet would be to get in touch with the local and surrounding cemetery's authority to do a search of their records giving them as much info as you can i.e your grandparents names, where they were living if you know and year's to cover, as your gran is ill this is the best and possible the fastest way but they may charge a fee. Make sure you tell them you are not sure if the baby was stillborn or a few weeks old.

Wendy

Here's the email address for Enfield Council Cemetery department

[email protected]

Also phone number : 020 8379 3767

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 3 Sep 2017 22:31

Hi every one,

My nan said her baby died at 6 days old from Spina bifida, baby was born at home.
Is a mystery.
The marriage and children are all correct.
I will email Enfield council cemetery, thank you all.

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 3 Sep 2017 22:33

Forgot to add, my nan said her daughter was buried with a lady, in i think a paupers grave maybe as she didnt know the lady.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2017 00:00

Did your nan remember the date of birth of the baby or is she now too ill to ask? If you knew the date of birth you could have more of an idea of when the burial took place.

It was quite common at the time for a baby to be placed in the coffin of someone who was being buried at the same time.

My husband's baby brother who died at 12 hrs old was placed in a coffin with a 2 year old girl. We guessed at which churchyard he would have been buried (there was only one near to where his parents lived at the time) and we found the burial record and date at the county records office and afterwards managed to get in touch with the church who held the churchyard records (the original church at the churchyard had been demolished). The sextant's records told us the grave number and also the name of the child he was buried with.

Perhaps if you know where they were living at the time you could try to go down the same route.

Looking at the dates of birth of the children listed above I would say the best date to start with would be around 1960 as that seems to be the biggest gap in births which seem pretty much every two years up to then.

Kath. x

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 4 Sep 2017 00:48

Kath, no my nan dont remember and i cant ask now :(
I have emailed the cemetery department for Enfield as that is where my nan was living at the time.
I will look again at births but think have covered a 20 year slot.

Thank you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2017 09:06

If the baby was put in with an adult it likely there would be no records of it

At six days old it's possible the birth hadn't been registered but there may be a death record which would be needed for the burial

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2017 21:35

It did happen Joan. It was called tandem burials and parents wouldn't be given the information on what happened to the child

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2017 22:40

i wasn't saying every child was buried like that

I have death certs too of youngsters who died and are in unmarked graves,there are burial records for both municipal and churchyard burials for them

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 5 Sep 2017 02:40

I think this is so confusing.
I sent an email to cemetery department in my borough, they will search but need more information, i have no more information and now feel like a failure as my nan has passed away now :(

Nottsgirl

Nottsgirl Report 5 Sep 2017 07:29

Hi,

So sorry to hear of your Nan's passing my condolences to you and your family.

I'm sure you would still like to find what happened to your Aunt in your Nan's memory,
have you had a look at the Sands Stillbirth Charity website:

https://www.uk-sands.org/

also look at this page of their site with advice on looking for a grave

https://www.uk-sands.org/sites/default/files/SANDS-TRACING-A-BABYS-GRAVE-OR-CREMATION%20RECORD_0.pdf

it may or not help.

Also have you tried the District Register Office to look for a birth and death and if you explain everything to them that it might have been a still birth they may look on the Still birth register, it's worth asking

Wendy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Sep 2017 08:52

So sorry your nan has passed away

Sorry we hadn't been able to find the info in time but maybe you can still in her memory

patchem

patchem Report 5 Sep 2017 09:00

Have any of your aunts or uncles got any information about the baby - if born at home then they would have been aware of her?