Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re Registered birth?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 16:53

have a query- why was my cousins birth , registered Blackpool 1928
re-registered again in Blackpool 20 years later in 1948 ??

Notes for Pauline Goodliffe:
Birth - 1928 Blackpool, Lancashire, England
Source - GRO 1928 JAS Blackpool See M48
Source - GRO 1948 JFM Blackpool 10B 660
Note - Re-Registered in JFM of 1948 in Blackpool

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 20 Mar 2018 17:49

She may have been born before her parents married and therefore her birth was re registered as allowed by the Legitimacy Act 1926.

The Legitimacy Act 1926 enabled a child to be classed as ‘legitimate’ as long as their parents married after their birth (provided that they had not been married to someone else at the time of conception) and provided the parents re-registered the child’s birth after marriage.

Chris

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Mar 2018 17:52

By the surface looks of it its a mistake by the General Register Office ans its been indexed under 1928 instead of the correct year of 1948.?

This happend often when the indexes were put onto fiche.

Its under both surnames so was registered under the surname which was used/taken/known as/.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 20 Mar 2018 17:55

Well spotted Kay

I didn't look that deeply :-( :-D

Robert....Were you expecting her to be born around 1928 or was 1948 more likely?

Chris

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 20:18

The birth year is factually correct, there were five children by the same father (Goodliffe) but no marriage, however the mother, my aunt by the way, did in fact marry
in 1948, to another man, (Crystal) how that would have a bearing on this I dont know,
the other four siblings were born after her, post 1928, and theres no re registering
with them ? all five bear their fathers name (Goodliffe) confused .com , thats me ?.

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 20:21

Chris thanks for that info, must remember that :-)

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 20:27

another conundrum am I correct with the following info, ? read it somewhere or other

Henry then married ( or we think he did) Louisa younger sister Ann Mary Hirst, around the time of Louisa death, 1873, unable as yet to find details of this marriage record----- for the record it was illegal to marry ones wife's sister (see forbidden marriage laws implemented by the C of E in 1560 until the 1907 marriage act revoked this)--problem resolved, never married..

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Mar 2018 20:33

Robert which birth year is correct?if 1928

perhaps in 1948 a birth certificate was needed for some reason and things came to light.or corrected.

The other births are also under both surnames indicating the birth parties at that time there was no marriage.

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 20:38

sorry for any confusion should have added:-

this extracted from another forebear of mine, took up with the younger sister of his
wife after her death

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 20:39

Hi Kay yes the birth year is correct 1928

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 20:45

Kay
You have put

"The other births are also under both surnames indicating the birth parties at that time there was no marriage."

The other or subsequent births are under the name Goodliffe not both!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Mar 2018 20:48

Un-wed parents was just as common then as its always been.

Yes, unitl the marriage act change it was unlawful to marry a deceased wifes sister.

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 21:27

Kay

your explanation is spot on, I have found four entry's for Pauline 2 under Goodliffe
& 2 under Huby

Thanks for steering me in the right, appreciated your help

robert

robert Report 20 Mar 2018 21:33

Kay

thanks for confirming "marriage act" lots of hidden potholes to look for isn't there
another chestnut put to bed

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2018 23:57

Robert

it might have been unlawful to marry your deceased wife's sister ................. but that does NOT mean that it did not happen!

I think we have all found examples where wife died, her sister moved in to look after the widower and the children, and then a marriage took place some time later. The other alternative of course is that the sister and widower lived together as if married (common law), and had children.

I certainly have found several examples of one or other of those events happening over the almost 15 years that I have been helping others on GR.

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Mar 2018 04:46

The birth was initially rego'ed as:

Births Sep 1928 (>99%)
Huby Pauline G Huby Fylde 8e 818

The birth was rego'ed in the Blackpool North subdistrict of Fylde.
I'm not sure of dates of these changes, but initially I think both unwed parents of a child had to jointly appear before the registrar for the fathers name to appear on the b.cert.Later this was relaxed so the father could appear at any rego office, then later still, could send in a notarized statement. Both these latter changes still required the mother's agreement.

When our kids left home, we gave them their b.certs. Maybe this is what happened here, and it was then noticed her dad wasn't on the b,cert, so it was reregoed to include him.
By this time, Blackpool RD had been created (in 1936q4) and Blackpool RD got the old Blackpool North subdistrict rego's from Fylde. The birth was re-rego'ed in Blackpool North and the GRO index was amended for 1928 to point to this re-rego. Of course, someone looking for this child's b.cert won't be looking at 1948, so this amendment appears in the 1928q3 index.

robert

robert Report 21 Mar 2018 14:37

Sylviain,
Thanks for that info, but it still leaves the door open, so to speak , but as you say
it happens .

mgnv,
Hi, confusing somewhat :-( but def sure of dates (1928) which is the important bit, and I am 110% on the "no marriage" stakes, only wish I could move my birth date on 20 years, live my life over again :-D GREAT

Any way thank you for "OO" looking, more eyes the better.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2018 15:18

The 1948 records referred to against the 1928 birth, which, as you will see on freebmd, has no Vol & Page details

Births Mar 1948 (>99%)

Goodliffe Pauline Huby Blackpool 10b 660 Scan available - click to viewAssociated System Entry related to this entry - click for more information
Huby Pauline Goodliffe Blackpool 10b 660 Scan available - click to viewAdditional information available - click to view
Huby Pauline Huby Blackpool 10b 660

#COMMENT Entry reads Goodliffe or Huby for mother's maiden surname

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 21 Mar 2018 16:27

on the 1928 index the entry 'see M48' is handwritten indicating it was added at a later date.

Presumably she needed a birth certificate before she married

I assume you know that the G in Pauline G Huby stands for Goodliffe - full name shown on lancashirebmd

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Mar 2018 16:38

She wouldn't have needed a birth certificate to get married!

But may be they were going "abroad" for a honeymoon.