Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Danetree

Danetree Report 20 Oct 2019 11:42

What happened to my update of Hot Matches, nothing for 6 months, very disappointed. Not good. Can someone sort it.

MAZZAT54

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Oct 2019 11:54

To contact anyone with any power to do anything, you need to email:

[email protected]

They don't monitor these boards, so will not see your post here.

Personally, I've never found Hot Matches to be of any use - they're not matches, they're just people who happen to have the same names as people in my tree.
It's years since I received notification of any .

There's this message on the GR site - but goodness knows how long it's been there:

"Why Haven't I Received Any Hot Matches?

We have had to stop running Hot Matches for a while as we had performance issues with the site.
Our development team have just started to run them again but they won't be run every 14 days. 50 names will be randomly selected from your tree and matches will be sent out with these names. They will match place of birth and you'll also get some super hot matches. The names Smith and Jones won't be included. It's a rolling program so it might take some time before you receive any."

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=456

Danetree

Danetree Report 20 Oct 2019 12:08

Hi
Thank you for your reply, will try what you suggest.
Mazzat54

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Oct 2019 13:55

All of the so-called ‘hot matches’ I’ve ever had have been decidedly lukewarm

Much better just to look in search trees yourself

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Oct 2019 15:39

Haven’t had any hot matches for months if not years

Don’t think they run it anymore

Just checked and the last one was June 2016 :-(

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 20 Oct 2019 19:43

Like Shirley, my last so-called hot matches were in June 2016 and I thought GR had stopped doing it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Oct 2019 20:02

As said above, Hot Matches do not seem to have been around for at least the last couple of years.

I also found them worse than useless ........... this was one of the last ones GR sent to me. I've saved it because it was so incredibly laughable .........

Mary Smith
Y.O.B: 1779
Place: Launton, Oxfordshire
Children: 4

with

Elizabeth Powell
Y.O.B: 1685
Place: Towcester, Northamptonshire

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Oct 2019 22:10

Can't beat that, Sylvia!

There used to be an option under "Account details" to say whether or not one wanted to be contacted about new hot matches.
That seems to have gone - presumably because they're not looking for hot matches now.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Oct 2019 22:21

We do have to remember that GR is hardly supported these days ............. almost everything and everyoneseems to have moved over to FMP, and GR is left to its own devices.

I still think GR is the best site for building your tree for free, and for taking out the lowest sub to get the help from the members on theses boards.

But not for anything else.

Danetree

Danetree Report 21 Oct 2019 19:18

I've had response from GR and hot matches have been withdrawn, but you can still access your matches by clicking the purple stars within your tree so I'm told.
I'll give it a try later
Regards
MAZZAT54

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Oct 2019 20:04

You can also access them by clicking on the "flame" symbol in the top right of any of your family tree pages (beside the printer symbol) , then clicking on "View (x) more Hot Matches" They will then show in a new screen.

It's a pity GR haven't updated the website - they're still advertising Hot Matches:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=243