Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deleting old threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maryann

maryann Report 7 Aug 2020 18:09

Can anyone tell me how to delete old threads of mine, I press delete but they still remain. Thanks

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Aug 2020 18:56

A good idea to leave in place - they may help other people in the future and if you came back to the same family at any time, what has been researched before will still be available for helpers. If you do come back to a previous request you should resurrect the old thread and continue there.

maryann

maryann Report 7 Aug 2020 19:04

I understand that but, I have very old threads going back to 2004 which aren't relevant to my searches anymore.
Thank you though.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Aug 2020 19:12

When you click on ‘delete’ you’ll get a message. Read it carefully, then click on the appropriate button

BUT - think carefully about deleting, as you have recently added requests which relate to old posts

maryann

maryann Report 7 Aug 2020 20:04

I understand, perhaps I will keep some of them, most of them, as I said before aren't relevant.
Thank you.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2020 20:53

I for one like to read old threads even if they are nothing to do with me. It's amazing how much you learn from the answers people put on threads and as they don't take up any room on your computer I don't really see the point in deleting them.

Personally, when I click on "my threads" I have 799 pages of them.

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Aug 2020 08:54

I would suggest that you keep them all. However, I would also suggest that you "Watch" the ones you might refer to - you can always go back and watch a thread that you later might find interesting, or stop watching one you've done with.

Like "My threads", the link to "My watched threads" is also found under the "Tools" heading in the left margin. (I wouldn't normally tuck the box that gets GR to notify me of posts on the thread - threads with posts made since I last looked at the thread will be flagged by a piece of paper sticking out of the folder icon,, just as in my threads.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%.

I hadalways known my dad used to visit his Canadian relatives - an uncle and some cousins, when he sailed to Quebec in the 1930s- I found an unvisited cousin in the WW1 deaths on CWGC, and was able to confirm his cousinship via his attestation papers and the Scotish censuses. He had a battlefield burial, and the CWGC gave its ts location using trench map coordinates..
" Serre Road Cemetery No.1 was begun in May 1917 and these graves can now be found in Plot I, Rows A to G. The rest of the cemetery was added after the Armistice, when graves were brought in from the nearby battlefields and from the following smaller cemeteries"
I spent a couple of days getting familiar with trench map coordinates (my cousin died on 9/1916 on the advance to Courcelette). I answered a post from someone faced with my problem (with slightly difft info), so I answered it - it was a non-trivial explanation, and I answered a similar post later on - I realized I didn't want to rewrite it, so I just referred the new poster to my (slightly editted) original post:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1343383

I realized this problem would recur, so I "watched" my original post, and I've referred to it abt once a year over the last 6 years.

maryann

maryann Report 8 Aug 2020 16:44

Ok, thank you to everyone, sensible advice.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 10 Aug 2020 22:33

However if you delete your posts from other peoples threads, it can make the thread read very strangely.