Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American look up please. Beatrice Mack

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

juma

juma Report 20 Jun 2007 15:33

will post details below for clarity

juma

juma Report 20 Jun 2007 15:43

My sister and I went to our local council office in Hampshire to find my g grandfathers exact burial plot. he died in 1951. To our surprise we found that ashes were interred in his grave in 1957 of a BEATRICE MACK. All it says in the burial register is that she died in The Queens Medical Centre, Borough of Queens New York aged 46 years. No idea of year. Could have been in 1957 or much earlier. Is she on the 1930 census or can anyone find out anything at all as no one knows who she is. No one in the family knew about it at the time so who is this lady? Julie

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 20 Jun 2007 15:53

There are 55 Beatrice Mack' s in the 1930 census. If you go to www.ancestry.*com and type her name for the 1930 census you'll get a free three day trial. Special offer on the com site at the moment.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Jun 2007 16:17

Julie: When I found my ancestor's plot, I wrote to the cemetery office (in Canada) and they told me information about him and everyone else in the plot! Does the UK have separate cemetery offices? If so, they might be able to help you. (Note: my ancestor died in 1912, so perhaps they weren't as guarded about giving out information.) Was reading your posting quickly, and replying as quickly, as I'm on my way to work. Of course they were buried here, in the States (NOT the UK) -- you might try writing to the cemetery. Also, you could try googling the two names.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Jun 2007 16:24

Don't have time to look over all the Beatrice's - but there's one living in Queen's in 1920 and she was only 10 years old. Beatrice could have moved to New York much later than 1920.

juma

juma Report 20 Jun 2007 16:54

Thank you Janet and Lisa for looking. I have tried to get the 3 free days but despite following all the instructions from previous threads its still telling me to upgrade and denying me access. Lisa, there is no separate cemetery office as its only a small village one, an overflow of the old church graveyard and the council hold all the records. All they have in the burial register is what I have posted. Would it be possible to post details of the one born in 1910 to see who she is with on the 1930 census, just in case. Thank you. Julie

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Jun 2007 17:02

I can look around tonight and would be happy to do so (unless someone looks first.) (I QUICKLY looked before I left home and didn't see her in Queens, besides the one census. I will look again later. Back to work I go.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jun 2007 18:06

Which cemetary is this? Beatrice must have been born in that village to be buried there. Look for any births c1911 and see if you can find any Mack marriages 20 or so years later. Rose

Paula in California

Paula in California Report 20 Jun 2007 19:54

Portland Rose, Just a question~ why would you have to be born in a village to be buried there? Is that how they did it back then? In my case they'll have to ship me back off to Australia and I'd rather be put to rest with my hubby over here!!! Paula

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jun 2007 21:47

Paula, If she's not related in some way to Julie's grandfather then she must have a connection to the village to be buried there. Don't you think? Someone brought her all the way back from the US for a reason. I doubt they picked a random cemetary. Rose

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 20 Jun 2007 22:07

May we ask which cemetery and which town, please?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 21 Jun 2007 03:39

Julie: I checked the 1930 census and the family from the 1920 census is actually 'Zack', not Mack. Without further information, there really are too many Beatrice's to narrow it down. Perhaps it might help with the town name and cemetery?

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 21 Jun 2007 08:23

Found this Beatrice living in Queen's! 1910 United States Federal Census about Beatrice Mack Name: Beatrice Mack Age in 1910: 4 Estimated birth year: abt 1906 Birthplace: New York Relation to Head of House: Daughter Father's name: Herward Father's Birth Place: New York Mother's name: Bertha Mother's Birth Place: New York Home in 1910: Queens Ward 4, Queens, New York Marital Status: Single Race: White Gender: Female Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Herward Mack 24 Bertha Mack 24 Beatrice Mack 4 Harry Cross 31

Paula in California

Paula in California Report 22 Jun 2007 06:21

Julie, Please update us when you find out why she was sent from the States to UK to be buried with your relative. I am so curious about this!!! Paula

juma

juma Report 22 Jun 2007 23:20

Thanks everyone for your interest and help.My grandfather, Edward Walter Mondey is buried in Titchfield which is in the Fareham Reg District of Hampshire. He spent all his life in the village marrying my g grandmother Harriett Gregory in 1900. She too was from the village. We are totally stumped as to who Beatrice could be and why she is in Edwards grave. Both myself and sister have searched the complete birth/marriage registers for Fareham trying to cross refernce any Beatrices and Macks but nothing. After G Grandfather died in 1951, in about 1952/3 G Grandmother went to Canada to stay with her daughter Phyllis Garner in Montreal for about two years and returned to England about 1955?/6 as I remember going to meet her when I was a little girl in Southampton Docks and the ship was, according to my father, the Sythia. Not sure if this ship came back from Canada or did gg go to New York and travel back from there bringing the ashes. Maybe, but it was all done without the rest of the family knowing. Why the secrecy and who was Beatrice? I think this is one part of my family history that will be impossible to solve. G grandmother lived until 1982. Thanks again all. Julie

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Jun 2007 00:36

Julie: I'm on break at work and can't look up anything right now, but I do have something to add. I was born in Ontario, Canada. My parents, brother and I came down here years ago. My father passed away 2 years ago, after a six month illness. We all agreed that dad would have wanted to be buried at 'home' and had his remains returned to Ontario. He is buried with his grandparents and aunt. My aunt and cousins (who live in Ontario) are the only ones in Canada who were included in this decision process. Could Beatrice be some sort of relative? Perhaps it wasn't a secret at all, just something that was done (no one thinking of future generations or other family members)? She might have been English and family wanted her back home? Just a thought. I will look at your information again later. Thank you for explaining the situation.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Jun 2007 01:10

Some thoughts: I have one ancestor who died rather young and her husband remarried. The husband, 2nd wife and a few other family members are buried 'together', but the first wife is buried with unknown people. Relatives on my mum's side had 6 plots; 5 graves were family members, one grave is for a gentleman of which we've never heard. My mum thinks they sold the 'extra' grave to someone, as it wasn't needed. Could Beatrice be a daughter? Quite a few of my family members/ancestors were known by their middle names, rather than first names.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 23 Jun 2007 03:44

Julie, Have you seen the grave? Is there a headstone for it? Could it be your great grandparents didn't purchase the plot and the grave could have been reclaimed for use by someone else. Have you tried contacting the hospital where Beatrice died? Rose

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 23 Jun 2007 03:52

I thought it was a well known fact that people living in a village CANNOT be buried there!

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Jun 2007 07:55

I checked Mack's, born in England, living in New York State in 1930 and it doesn't look like Beatrice is included (although I didn't look at each individual record). Also checked Mondey/Monday/Mundy and Gregory's with the same details as above and didn't see any living with Mack.