Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

memories of liverpool in the 60s add yours.x

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 19 Apr 2007 22:54

i was born in oxford st womans hos in may 1963, i lived until the age of 10 in wendal st smithdown rd, my best memories are of , the peter pan statue in sefton park(i loved that), punch and judy shows also in sefton park, the chippy at the end of our road, st clemends church school, my auntie dots fish shop on lodge lane, lodge lane baths(where i learnt to swim), the rude statue on the top of lewis department store(my mum used to cover my eyes every time we passed), sefton park hos(i was always there for one thing or another) the snow in winter(we would make huge snowmen) my mum scrubbing the step the docks(dad worked there), oh and the beatles, a bit before my time but dad worked for them as a driver during the 60s(got a photo of me as a small baby on john lennons knee.(my claim to fame)would love to hear your memories aswell.xx

Libby

Libby Report 20 Apr 2007 01:15

My Mum wouldn't let me look at the statue at Lewis's either. lol. I left school in 1969 and worked in Victoria Street by the old tunnel entrance. Always remember the starlings gathering and swooping around 5 pm - very spooky and reminiscent of 'The Birds'. The smell from Bibbys used to make me feel sick. lol. C& A's was ther best place to shop - bought a skirt (although my Dad said it was a wide belt !!) for 15/- (75p). The queues (sp?) by the tunnel entrance were enormous before the new one was built. Coopers on Church Street - the smell of fresh coffee beans was something else (now WH Smiths). Would love a deli like that now !! Libby x (now feeling my age. lol).

Julie

Julie Report 20 Apr 2007 01:38

Hi hope you dont mind me adding i grew up in Liverpool but was a 70s child. My memories are: Going down the Peir Head eating donuts (the best ive ever had). Shopping at Blacklers they had the huge rocking horse. When i use to stay at my nans going the chippy and having chips, peas and onion gravy. For some reason chip shops down south dont tend to do gravy. Wearing roller skates, and flying down Everton Valley how i lived to tell the story i dont know. Standing in the kop end on a saturday afternoon I had very happy times growing up in Liverpool, and still go back for a trip down memory lane Julie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Apr 2007 04:24

I was a student at the university from 1959 to 1964 ............ for 2 years I was in Rankin Hall residence near Sefton Park ........... that was a beautiful park!! Then I was in digs and finally a flat in different parts of Liverpool. I certainly got to know the bus system! Fred, the rude statue, was always 'dressed' by students during Panto. They got upto some weird and wonderful antics to get by Lewis' security who were determined that 'Fred' would not be decorated 'this year'! The students always prevailed! There was also the poor police lady directing traffic who was always locked into her 'enclosure' by the time the Panto parade had passed. I remember walking down Brownlow Hill to get to Lewis' ...... past that housing. Even the male studnets would not wlak down there alone, especially at night! it was a fun time to be in Liverpool!

Fresh as a Daisy

Fresh as a Daisy Report 20 Apr 2007 09:42

I can remember going to the Grafton to see the Beatles and The Lowlands in Haymans Green [I think ] to see the Searchers ,great times ,I also remember the horse in Blacklers and I worked in Church St so used to shop in C&A's all the time back in those days it was the only shop I could get clothes small enough to fit me .As for chip shops I remember ours in Derby Lane used to sell scollops,don't seem to be able to get them now.I used to go to the Ice Rink in Prescot Road,practically lived there at one point and Traynors Dance School in Oakfield Road where I met my husband when I was fifteen. Daisy Forgot to say Coopers in Church St has to be my favourite shop ever,the smell of the coffee-fantastic

Elsie

Elsie Report 20 Apr 2007 10:23

grew up in aigburth, just by sefton park, our playground. went to sudley rd school annexe, which was just across the rd from the swings, just by greens cottages, which sadly were demolished late 60's. huge bonfires on nov. 5th on the field opposite sefton park, they came from all over liverpool on bonfire night. sefton park lake when they had rowing boats to hire, or if you could afford it a motor boat. happy days......

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 20 Apr 2007 10:31

Not from Liverpool myself but enjoyed reading the book 'Nobody in Particular' written by Cherry Simmonds . Cherry writes about growing up on Merseyside in the 50s and 60s. Its a funny read and deserves the success it has had as a best seller in the UK. Cherry emigrated to NZ and lives not far from me. She has just written another book called ' Smell of an Oily rag' about life in NZ with the same humour. Margaret

Milly** in Australia**

Milly** in Australia** Report 20 Apr 2007 15:10

We lived in Liverpool from 1968 until late 70's. Sefton Park was a favourite place for the children and Clark Gardens. During the early 70's I worked for BT in Old Hall Street, had problems understanding the 'Scouse' accent at first ! Milly.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 20 Apr 2007 20:25

carry on jaki you wont give me a headache,ive also got lovely memories of my liverpool,went back not long ago with my dad,he took me to look at my old school,the street were we used to live and the baths, i was horrified at the state of the place,it was like a war zone,and dad wouldnt let me get out of the car,its so sad.xx

Joanie

Joanie Report 20 Apr 2007 21:58

Suzanne, small parts of liverpool are in need and lots of building work is being done for 2008....cause something dosent look good dosent mean it is dangerous..... I was born in Everton lived nr Great Homer St - Everton Brow a real townie....i played down the pier head sailing on the ferries till the man caught us and chased us off.....C & A's was brill in the late 60's early 70's for clothes ...going to the Mardi Gras...odd times late 60's to the caven...seeing London rd in its glory, waiting outside T.J.Hughes round 1959 a small little girl to see Princess Margaret....boo boo were is her crown...sad child, didnt believe in princess's anymore... I went to Netherfield Road School age 4.1/2yrs old,the to the Friary School......I remember watching the Orange Lodge parade every year ..loved the men in kilts and music....i live outside Liverpool now but go in most weeks to shop or on a night out in town....still the same place - good and bad but mostly good, kind and funny....Joanie x

Joanie

Joanie Report 20 Apr 2007 22:12

Jacky, I lived in Back Strickland st...between Beau st and Bute st...i remember the 4 squares and soho st, we moved when i was 11/12 - early 60's..our friends lived in the squares the Mather family...Joan - Anne - jimmy..plus their mum and dad...i loved living there as a child, i sold old clothes in paddys market for the lady next door...went passed richmond row today.....Joanie x

moe

moe Report 20 Apr 2007 22:51

The late great cazzy market..., bunking off school in summer and spending the day on the ferries, (we hid in the toilets when it reached the other side).....taking the whole streets kids in their big prams to princes park, with jam butties and a bottle of water, I was born in tennies in Toxteth, and we used to go to the drum yard,by the docks, cadge a couple of drums(wooden ones about 3ft high) put them on an old pram go to the wood yard, tell them the old people in our area had no wood for the fire, they would let us fill the drums with wood block ends from the timber, and then we would sell it around the doors, we made a fortune.when the Southern hospital was closing down our gang went over and asked if we could take some of the bedside cabinets for the old people(we blamed them for everything)they told us to take as many as we wanted, so we sold them for about a tanner each(move over Alan Sugar i was here first)...moe

angelas ashes

angelas ashes Report 20 Apr 2007 23:40

Going on a school holiday to the Isle of Man and meeting a lad from Liverpool.Love at first sight.He was visiting his cousin Jeff Lunt and they used to come to the school where we were staying in Douglas and talk to us through the window.Never forgotten his name Tony Wooley 6 Lincoln Drive Old Roan Aintree liverpool 10. Hows that for a memory!He used to sing the song In my Liverpool home.In 1970 my friend and I went to Liverpool for a day out and decided we would go and visit him.Got to his house and his mum entertained us with tea and biscuits and then in walked his FIANCEE!!..She sat down and we chatted,then he walked in...and he looked nothing like the lad I remembered! We got away as fast as we could then went into the town centre and decided to go for a drink in this club and couldnt understand why everyone was looking at us..till the stripper came on!!! Dont care got my memories and lovely photos of the day we had.. but most of all of the lovely nature of the people of Liverpool! The best in the world!..Wanda.x

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 21 Apr 2007 00:30

I lived all over Liverpool in 50's to 70's. West derby Rd-the smell from the shop where they made rock and humbugs mmm. Kensington-Esher Rd-skipping with all the kids Dads turning the rope,playing tick up and down the back entries,Boaler St school, Empire day-dressing my bike up with paper rosettes,Sidney age 5, my 1st boyfriend, Newsham Park, the boating lake, jam butties and home made lemonade, Old Swan the Abatoirre pooo! New Brighton-trips on the Royal Iris, the fair, the open air baths, Miss New Brighton contest. Smithdown Rd, Mum ran the Laundrette, bunking off school to go to the lunchtime sessions at the Cavern-saw the Beatles there. The Mardi gras, the Blue angel, The Rumblin Tum, (think i went to every club in Liverpool!) Queing up all night to see the rolling stones on the Empire. Wild nights out when I was a student nurse at Alderhey Hospital, climbing over the railings to get back into nurse's home at 2am!! So many happy memories. Liverpool in the 60's.......the best time and place of my life Sue. :0))) Alex

Juliet

Juliet Report 21 Apr 2007 08:52

my mums family are the bruntons from edge lane drive. thankyou for this thread.ill print it out to jog some happy memories!

Fresh as a Daisy

Fresh as a Daisy Report 21 Apr 2007 11:56

Alex I used to live by Alder Hey hospital, at that time we had a corgi and it was very fond of going to the nurses home in Sandfield Park off Eaton Road and jumping into bed with them , the times we had a phone call to say he was there again and could we go and get him,didn't seem to matter how we locked him up he always got out. Hope you weren't one of the nurses he disturbed,they had usually been working nights. Daisy

Mary

Mary Report 21 Apr 2007 22:41

The recent World Cup sparked discussion at home about 1966.World Cup Liverpool.An article in The Independent prompted us to do an image search on Google : lo and behold my husband found a photo on-line of a 1966 Street party with his own family including himself in Leta Street (?) actually named 'Fiesta Street' in the archive. He remembers sneaking into Goodison Park and seeing Pele play !

Joanie

Joanie Report 22 Apr 2007 13:17

Fab memories on this thread.....if you have never been to the Matthew St festival...august bank holiday weekend...especialy the monday, go its brill - no trouble - just fun and great people......Joanie

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 23 Apr 2007 00:16

oooer Fresh as a daisy! I thought it was my pillow I was cuddling up to when I was on nights:)) I'm sure we nurses disturbed the residents much more than your doggie though!! aaahh happy days Alex

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 23 Apr 2007 00:17

oooer Fresh as a daisy! I thought it was my pillow I was cuddling up to when I was on nights:)) I'm sure we nurses disturbed the residents much more than your doggie though!! aaahh happy days Alex