Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

going NUTS

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 16 Nov 2006 23:14

Hi, Can someone just tell me .... to look up records where is the best place - there are so many... all I want to do is look up the Census - are they all the same on all the web sites? I'm just so confused.... What's the best site for searches please and WHEN do you decide you have to look elsewhere from that site? desperate Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Nov 2006 23:18

The only site with all censuses is Ancestry.......but it costs approx £70.00 per year. It does, however, have all bmd's from 1837 free of charge...........you only need to register with the site to be able to access them. The 1881 census is completely free on www.familysearch.org Reg

Annie

Annie Report 16 Nov 2006 23:47

Thank you What does 'nudge' mean - am I going to get something in my mailbox ? I can't even have a drink of wine because that would be disasterous! I have to keep a really clear head and even then I'm confused... no hope really... FTM has it's own agenda... you use the web search and it takes you all over the place.... I only wanted to find something on the census and it brough up births and marriages! I hope in a few years I'll be better at this... sorry sorry sorry.. Annie

Sam

Sam Report 16 Nov 2006 23:51

Annie, FTM uses Ancestry so when you do a search, the Births, Deaths, Marriages and Census info is all from the same site - Ancestry. As someone has said, it costs £70 per year but is well worth it! 'Nudge' just means to add something to a thread so that it gets 'nudged' back up to the top - you won't get anything in your inbox. Sam x

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:03

I'm just making an idiot of myself... I don't think I ought to tell you anymore.. Another lovely lady (Janice) who has helped me so much, found so much information that I had a big big pile of paper all over the place - decided to go and eat.. because it depressed me looking at it - then went and bought some pens and things, that made me feel better - then today I've put it all in folders and at least I printed off some forms and got myself organised a bit more... but I can't get to grips with the finding of people very well... II'll learn) Great site for AA's... (and I'm not!) but I can't wait 'til I've cracked it and I can sit with a glass of wine and enjoy what I'm doing.... Oh and by the way, Janice found out lots of goodies for me, but I'm making myself go back and try and find what she found.... am I stupid? I just want to learn how to get the results and I am so grateful to her..now It's up to me I suppose.. Annie x thanks

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:08

Oh and I've just cracked open another 380ml of Lucozade (orange flavour!).... 1. to keep me awake. can't think of 2.!

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:12

Thank you for the nudge, but I've been to the bottom of this page and I can't see anything... now you know what you're dealing with!

Janice

Janice Report 17 Nov 2006 00:17

Hi Annie, The nudged thread won't appear on this page. If you go back to the list of threads on Tips Board you will see one by Joy Kentish Maid. That's the one that has been nudged. When I post this on the board, it will go to the top of the list again. That's what people do to nudge - just add another message. It keeps it on Page 1 so you don't have to search for it. Take care, Janice

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:21

ok before you all go to bed... can you please just help me do this? A lady called Georgina was brilliant and found my gdad's father's birth date and she emailed it to me, I think she may have gone to beddie bies now.. but I just wanted to know where she got the info from so I can order a birth certificate to get me started on him. His details are:- (the only ones I have) He was married to Annie Alice Clark on 3rd June 1895 at St. Mathews, Southampton. On the certificate it says he was 27 (so maybe born 1868) he is a Professor of Music (I think he was just trying to impress Annie!) and his fathers name is Thomas Clark and he is a French Polisher. (my table needs doing!) 1901 he is found in Northumberland with a little girl called Isabella (or Isabele I think it says) and his wife Annie and his birth place is said to be Scotland. Now Georgina found the following info:- James Clark Birth : 8th Sept 1868 Dundee, Angus, Scotland Father THOMAS CLARK Mother ISABELLA STEWART And, I really would like to know where to find the info so I can get the birth cert. Anniex thanks in advance

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:27

Thanks everyone, I've found the new research now... it's much easier reading than the great big volumes I have just purchased! I'd just like to achieve something tonight, but if I don't tomorrow's another day.... Anniex

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Nov 2006 00:38

If you want James's birth cert (Are we sure its that one now? Just for my own records if you still want me to look up stuff for you in Edinburgh) then go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk It'll cost you £6 for 30 credits. 1 credit to do a search and 5 to view the certificate. It also has the scottish census on it as well so you may be able to track the family though with the name of Clark it may be difficult. Good Luck Mhairi

Heather

Heather Report 17 Nov 2006 00:40

Hi Annie I think the record Georgina found was from the IGI. If you haven't found it already, go to www.familysearch.org Heather

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Nov 2006 00:41

Oh and Georgina got that info at familysearch.org which is very helpful. If you do find out that those are James's parents then you could look for other brothers and sisters and his parents marriage in the above site. Then if they married after 1855 you could get that marriage cert which will give you both sets of parents. Mhairi

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:49

thank you everyone, I've just to take it all in... I went to the scottish site and I put in everything that I have that Georgina found for me and it doesn't come up? I wanted to see the birth certificate to see if it is the right person, I just don't know at all. Janice, you said you found a couple of my lot in the ww1 records I was reading through that new research document and I got the address - is it just me - or is it just very hit and miss - you can just put in an initial? Annie.... thank you all sooooomuch

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 00:51

Mhairi, Why can I get a certificate if they were married after 1855? does something happen then? And how would I then look for siblings? - oh the penny's just dropped on that one.... doh! not clear on the first one tho? Anniex

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Nov 2006 01:01

Ok lets first get the birth cert Have you bought credits for scotlandspeople yet? I have some spare and could look for the birth for you if you havent already Mhairi

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Nov 2006 01:19

Ok dont know if you've gone to bed or worked it out or...gone of in search of more lukazade :) message me if your still having some problems and i'll talk you through the different scottish sites and how to get the best out of them. I'll be on for another ten minutes or so. Mhairi p.s Scottish registration didnt start till 1855, before that its parish registers we have to work with and they dont contain nearly as much useful information.

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 01:21

I'm here I'm here Mhairi x

Annie

Annie Report 17 Nov 2006 01:22

I;ve got 29 credits

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Nov 2006 01:28

Did you find the birth? If not, you need to click on the births bit in the pinkish coloured box. Put in the surname, forename, male. For the year range place 1868 to 1868 and place Angus as the county. Then search It should show you how many it found. If all on one page click View. Your looking for the one for Dundee. If there is more than one your just going to take a guess (view image should be at the right hand side of the info) Let me know if you get it Mhairi