Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Collison look up 1841 and 1851

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 10:26

I now have the names of James Collison's parents! This morning I received some immigration documents from NSW State Records office about John and Jane Brooks (& family) who emigrated to Sydney on the Ascendant in 1854. Jane Brooks was James Collison's sister. The documents state that Jane's parents were Richard and Mary Collison - both dead. Not knowing the years of their deaths, I'm guessing that it must have been pre 1841, which is why they weren't on the census records! Just thought I'd let you know after all the help everyone has given me! Lyndsey

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Sep 2006 10:38

Can I just check your dates? Is the wife really 16 years older? Reg

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 10:54

Hi Reggie It would appear so!!! I got this information from a distant cousin in Australia, who, in turn, got it from the shipping and settlement papers of the State records in New South Wales. Bearing in mind that their info could be wrong is the reason we're trying to do a cross reference. Lyndsey

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Sep 2006 11:02

I can't see a sign of them in either year.......sorry Reg

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Sep 2006 11:27

1851 England Census Record about Geroge Strange Name: Geroge Strange Age: 7 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844 Relation: Son Mother's name: Lydia Gender: Male Where born: Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Civil parish: Meesden County/Island: Hertfordshire Country: England Registration district: Royston Sub-registration district: Buntingford ED, institution, or vessel: 4 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 23 Household Members: Name Age Charles Strange 17 Geroge Strange 7 Henry Strange 9 James Strange 13 Joseph Strange 15 Lydia Strange 45 William Strange 10 Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1707; Folio: 41; Page: 31; GSU roll: 193615.

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 11:27

Thanks Reggie I'd looked myself but couldn't see them so thanks for confirming I hadn't missed anything! I can now go back to my Australian contact knowing I'm giving her the correct (lack of) information! Lyndsey

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Sep 2006 11:29

marriage James Collison 1851 Jul-Aug-Sep Royston Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire Lydia Strange 1851 Jul-Aug-Sep Royston Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 12:07

Hi Jim Sorry about the delay in my reply, I'm not being rude and ignoring you! I just needed a bit of time to digest the information you've given me! I'm fairly new to to this and it takes me more time to digest and understand info given me than all you pro's! As I understand it now, John Collison was Lydia's 2nd husband? By the time they sailed in 1854 the children were using the Collison name. I certainly recognise the name 'Strange' from the Meesden census records. I shouldn't be suprised really, Meesden was/is a small hamlet and all the families married each other! There's several cases of neurological illnesses in my (extended) family and I'm beginning to suspect they may have come about through interbreeding! Thanks again Lyndsey

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Sep 2006 13:55

Hi Lyndsey I am used to delayed reactions ,they are much preferable to no reaction at all. Your ancestors are not as 'inbred' as you might suppose. 1851 Lydia Strange abt 1806 Clavering, Essex, England Head Meesden Hertfordshire regards Jim

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2006 14:29

This may be totally unrelated but I was looking for Lydia in 1841 without success. However, I did find a family with all the same names and ages as the 1851 family that Jim found. Is it possible that she had already been married previously? I can't find this Chaple family in 1851. View Record Charles Chaple abt 1834 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire View Record Henry Chaple abt 1811 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire View Record James Chaple abt 1838 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire View Record Joseph Chaple abt 1836 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire View Record Lydia Chaple abt 1811 Meesden Hertfordshire View Record William Chaple abt 1831 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 15:24

I don't know what to say Lyla. The name Chaple means nothing to me but it is very stange (no pun intended)! Can anyone more experienced than me help us help us out with this? Thanks Lyndsey

Susan

Susan Report 23 Sep 2006 15:38

If she was married a further time, this may be the death ref for Henry Chaple (Chapel/Chappel). Henry Chappel Year of Registration: 1844 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Royston County: Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire Volume: 6 Page: 455 May be worth getting this to check his age against census record ... and it may be that Lydia is the person who registers the death! I have an example in my tree of a lady who married 3 times and each time her children took the new husband's surname .... a bit confusing!!! S:>

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Sep 2006 15:41

You know what Lyla,i think you have made a brilliant discovery. 1841 Charles Chaple abt 1834 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire Henry Chaple abt 1811 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire James Chaple abt 1838 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire Joseph Chaple abt 1836 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire Lydia Chaple abt 1811 Meesden Hertfordshire William Chaple abt 1831 Hertfordshire, England Meesden Hertfordshire zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 1851 Charles Strange abt 1834 Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Meesden Hertfordshire Geroge Strange abt 1844 Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Son Meesden Hertfordshire Henry Strange abt 1842 Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Son Meesden Hertfordshire James Strange abt 1838 Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Son Meesden Hertfordshire Joseph Strange abt 1836 Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Son Meesden Hertfordshire Lydia Strange abt 1806 Clavering, Essex, England Head Meesden Hertfordshire William Strange abt 1841 Meesden, Hertfordshire, England Son Meesden Hertfordshire **i think he is 19 on image

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 15:52

Thanks - brilliant discoveries by everybody! I had no idea what I was starting with my original post! God Bless you all! Lyndsey

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Sep 2006 15:56

this looks like one of Lydias' husbands and his siblings Chapple, British Isles Father: George , Mother: Mary Exact Spelling: Off Batch Number: C072672 International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 6 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. HENERY CHAPEL - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 13 JUL 1806 Meesden, Hertford, England 2. JOHN CHAPELL - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 20 JUN 1803 Meesden, Hertford, England 3. THOMAS CHAPELL - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 20 JUN 1803 Meesden, Hertford, England 4. THOMAS CHAPEL - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 27 MAY 1810 Meesden, Hertford, England 5. SARAH CHAPEL - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 01 MAY 1808 Meesden, Hertford, England 6. ANN CHAPEL - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 14 OCT 1804 Meesden, Hertford, England

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 16:25

Thanks again I've certainly got lots to tell my Australian rellie!

Susan

Susan Report 23 Sep 2006 16:56

... and another twist, possibly! From the IGI search on the FamilySearch website: LYDIA PIGG Female Family -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages: Spouse: HENRY STRANGE Family Marriage: 31 OCT 1825 Meesden, Hertford, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type: M072671

LB

LB Report 23 Sep 2006 17:18

Hi Susan Sorry - I'm having a bit of a senior moment here.... Are you saying that Lydia's maiden name was Pigg and she was married to a Henry Strange in 1825? Lyndsey

Susan

Susan Report 23 Sep 2006 17:28

Yes ... sorry, it's not as clear on here as it is on the FamilySearch site - it's free to look there, so you can go look yourself. I searched the IGI section for a Lydia married between 1820 and 1840 in both Essex and Hertfordshire to see if I could find a match for the possible Henry Chapel marriage ... but only came up with this one for a Lydia Pigg marrying a Henry Strange in the right area! Just adding another possible scenario .... may just be co-incidence! S:>

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2006 17:48

Oh dear - look what I started! I think you will have to go back to the marriage certificate of James Collison and Lydia Strange. Maybe it will list all her former names as well. I can't find any trace of a likely James Collison at all.