Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oooh, quick! I need free Anti virus protection..

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Aug 2006 21:52

Just been flagged on my screen to say my 'free' Norton Antivirus expires at midnight and I need to subscribe...I have never PAID for antivirus in the past - what do you recommend, please? OC

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Aug 2006 21:58

Hi OC, I suggest that you try AVG7 its free for personnal use. www*grisoft*com replace * with . Keith PS if you do install this I suggest that you remove your other package as having two A/Virus packages can be as bad as having none!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2006 21:58

I can't recommend any FREE one's OC ... my motto is, you get what you pay for. Free one's only have limited capabilities and are NOT upto date with latest Virus's etc. I'm sure someone will give you the name of an adequate one for tonight, but I would seriously think about purchasing a well know one soon peeps. I KNOW what's its like to have your PC wiped in a matter of seconds because of a virus :-( Good Luck for the foreseeable future ... Elaine ;-) There you go, two people have offered same name !

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Aug 2006 21:59

Thanks Keith, I was wondering about AVG - I'm off to do it right now! OC

Debby

Debby Report 4 Aug 2006 22:04

OC I too have AVG and have had no problems with it yet - had it about 20 months now and it's free. They do regular updates on them also. Debby

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 4 Aug 2006 22:04

OC if you do happen to have problems after uninstalling NOrton, can I suggest this site for assistance? http://forums*techguy*org/ Keith

Wendy

Wendy Report 4 Aug 2006 22:09

AVG is FREE and is an excellent programme and it IS always up dated regularly. My son is an IT Consultant and highly recommends it for home users. Wendy

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 4 Aug 2006 22:15

We use AVG without problem. We did find Norton quite difficult to uninstall just found it too intrusive.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 4 Aug 2006 22:32

I used to have norton, but then i changed to AVG, and when i installed it and ran it, it picked up viruse's that norton hadn't!! i highly recomend it.

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 Aug 2006 22:43

I use AVG too

Heather

Heather Report 4 Aug 2006 22:43

My puter was wiped out when I had paid for Mcaffees installed. The engineer who was a microsoft certified one told me to dump Mcaffee and put on avg7. The first time I ran it it found 2 trojans and a virus the paid for mcaffee hadnt found. So then I did dump it and put on avg. It updates itself at least once a day.

babs123

babs123 Report 4 Aug 2006 22:53

If you are getting confused this is the site addy for FREE download http://free.grisoft*com/doc/1 not to be confused for the free trial ones on www.grisoft*com. which you have to pay for later. Kat

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 4 Aug 2006 22:56

Yeah, make sure you install the free one - first one I installed was the 30 day free trial of the paid one - so after 30 days I had to uninstall it and put the proper free one on (just saves a bit of hassle in the future). But it DOES update regularly and I've found it to be fantastic! Snowdrops

The Ego

The Ego Report 4 Aug 2006 22:56

OC - Nod 32 Always suspend the restore capability when running it on to your PC and use safe mode.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Aug 2006 22:57

Oh gawd! Didnt know I had to uninstall Norton - wont it sort of just disappear at midnight? (60 days free with new pooter expires midnight tonight) I have installed AVG7 now!! (Took ages) The thought of losing EVERYTHING again is too much to bear - thats why I got a new pooter in the first place. OC

Heather

Heather Report 4 Aug 2006 22:59

Configure avg for automatic updates O.C.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 4 Aug 2006 23:00

Free does NOT mean sub-standard. The free ones are offered by leading companies as a marketing tool. If someone gets good performance from a free version they may well recommend it in a business environment. The virus definition databases are thus the same. It would be madness to offer anything less. If you tour the online computing world as I do it is awash with Norton problems. AVG and AVAST are the ones I would go for. AVG does seem to have more problems with the updates. Back up with online scans from Housecall and Panda and you won't go far wrong. Bob

Mavis

Mavis Report 4 Aug 2006 23:11

Nudging so I can find this again.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 4 Aug 2006 23:11

I have had both Norton and McAfee at different times and both seemed fine. So fine in fact, that when my computer suddenly turned itself overnight into a Public Service computer, I still didnt twig that I needed antivirus, or spyware. The result was that I lost EVERYTHING - fortunately I am rather lazy about clearing emails, so a lot of family history correspondence was still in my H---mail account. However, my database of 10,000 or so names is trapped inside the old computer and I am having to face the prospect of manually transferring each and every entry - I darent try to make a CD of it in case it transfers nasties with it. A winter job, I think. OC

♫ D☺ver Sue

♫ D☺ver Sue Report 4 Aug 2006 23:20

We've had AVG for years and never had a problem, it updates itself regularly and is user friendly. I can't imagine that a paid for one could do any better.