Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you add a web counter please anyone? IVE DO

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jul 2006 21:45

It would be nice to keep track if anyone visits my familytreemaker homepage - does anyone know how you add one of those little counter things on it please?

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 5 Jul 2006 21:48

Hi Heather If you ever manage it most of the visits would be me,i keep nipping back for inspiration,and revamping mine. Mucho detail added,now more like a smal town than a quiet village.LOL Just got to fetch O/H from work.Catch ya later. Glen

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jul 2006 21:56

Im really worried one day Ill look at Glens site and see all my family pics on there. Still hoping someone knows how to do this please? Ill nip over to general to see if any buffs there.

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Jul 2006 22:03

I didn't even know 'normal' (!?) people could do that, just clever website makers!! So I'm adding to this in case anyone can tell Heather how (& I can borrow the info!!) Sarah :-)

fraserbooks

fraserbooks Report 5 Jul 2006 22:04

Heather I just had a word with my son and he suggested googling web counter and you should find the code to type in for a web counter. I found this site:http://www.amazingcounters.com/?ref=gad003

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 5 Jul 2006 22:34

Had a look at that site,got lost when it said paste some code or other to the page using notepad. Gawd knows where it's supposed to go and notepad has never been opened on this pc. Back to the drawing board. Glen

J

J Report 5 Jul 2006 22:58

Hi another site you can get counters from is www.bravenet(.)com/webtools/counter/index.php Easy Installation Simply copy and paste the code onto your webpage and your Counter is ready for use! Julie I dont know how familytreemaker does it, but if there is an option that says something similar to 'include a html footer' then try pasting the code in there and then update your site and hopefully it will be there.

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jul 2006 23:17

Thanks guys, Id already tried to do it but I think I got the same site as Glen that said something about dont try to change this text or you will be banned or something or other. Then it said paste this code and I thought where do I paste it???? Ill have a look for that Julie, thanks. Nope nothing that says html anywhere. Ive now emailed them and when/if they reply Ill let you all know. Couldnt follow the Bravenet one either - and it seemed to offer just US peeps the service.

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jul 2006 23:53

Glen Ive done it. I went to x counters web site, you register (free) and then it gives you this gobblegook code. Copy that by right clicking and then go to your family home page. Click on edit and then go to the list of photos. In the description box for the last photo - after the description you have already put in there, paste the gobbledegook stuff and then click save changes /finish. When you go back to your front home page there is a little counter. Somehow I have managed to get mine half way down the list of my photos (?!) but its fine for my purpose - I started it at 1001 - so I will be checking how often you look!

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 5 Jul 2006 23:54

thats a bit clever Heather I am going to try it

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jul 2006 23:56

Val its on 1005 now!!

Val wish I'd never started Report 6 Jul 2006 00:04

Heather how do you look at your rootsweb site is it only by permission or password

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jul 2006 00:07

I havent got a rootsweb site Val - that was just a forum I found and it helped re the adding it to the pic text. (Ive deleted that message now in case it was more confusing than helpful) Nite nite. I bet Glens knocking my count up as we speak.

Val wish I'd never started Report 6 Jul 2006 00:08

goodnight, I bet Glen has trouble sleeping in those sparkly knickers, or does he take them off to go to bed.?????.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Jul 2006 00:08

Gosh Heather I certainly MUST get some new spex, I can't TELL you what I thought you said Glen was doing! OC

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 6 Jul 2006 00:14

Coo, Heather, I'm jealous! I really like your site. All those lovely photos.

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jul 2006 10:10

Olde Crone, I am getting a completely different impression of you lately, what with walking about on young men wearing high heels. I thought you were really refined. Not common like me. Phoenix but just think yours could have a picture of Eleanor of Aquitaine rather than a mob of cabinet makers and dock workers!

Merry

Merry Report 6 Jul 2006 10:14

Refined????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol! Merry

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 Jul 2006 10:21

Heather, HELP PLEASE!! I've been to Xcounters & registered Then I went to my FTM webpage & tried to add the doobry to the text bit of the homepage & it's just showing the code & hasn't added a counter. It says it's easy on xcounters but then it talks about html or something & I don't understand!! :-((( I don't have any photos yet so I can't do the thing you did any ideas??? Sarah :-) ps - just popping out to get some bread so won't reply immediately

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jul 2006 10:27

Sarah, well the forum I looked at said that FTM doesnt have the html facility EXCEPT in the picture descriptions - I dont understand at all, Im the partially sighted leading the blind here. So I just went to my home page, clicked on the edit, clicked on the photos list and descriptions and just went to the last one (as I was sort of expecting the counter would be shown at the end of the page - cunning plan didnt work). In the last photo you have a box for caption and then a bigger box for description. I went to the end of the description Id put in, pasted gobbledegook code stuff clicked on the save changes bit and finish. Went back to my front page and there it was - sitting in the middle of my photos list. If you havent got a photo yet I guess you cant do it.