Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fed up with my tree!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:15

Huummmmph!! I keep seeing threads about buying a cert to find out a new name going back on the tree.....get a marriage cert......get a birth cert.....find another group of rellies ....... another set of great-great-grandparents, Hooray, hooray!....see a baptism....find a Pallot's marriage etc etc etc etc. Well, I've just been looking at my own tree and realise it's been two years since I had a new name for a direct line ancestor ....... and before that it's been seven years since I've had any other new names for direct line ancestors..........So.......I'm fed up.......I have not found out anything new about anyone in ages and ages.......Grump, grump, whinge, whinge........Merry x

Heather

Heather Report 1 Jun 2006 19:18

You sound like me!! We arent changing into each other are we (mind you I think Id get the best deal out of it!). Im just fiddling about with hubbys side now - cant say Im that interested in them, but fresh meat and all that.

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:26

LOL Heather! Well, all lines are stuck on hubby's tree as well..... There's only one thing for it......get a new husband.....Next time I shall ask and contenders (LOL) to fill in a Family History questionaire before I say ''Yes''! 1) Are you ½ Spanish? 2) Are you one ¼ Irish? 3) Was your grandfather ever born?? 4) do your ancestors come from St Pancras? If the answer to any of the above is Yes, I'm afraid you do not qualify to become my spouse. All successful applicants must have heritage in small UK villages for at least 250 years. Merry

Gordon

Gordon Report 1 Jun 2006 19:27

Have you tried asking the people round here for help and advice? I hear that some of them are very helpful! Gordon

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:27

Did even think about doing ex-hubby's tree, but I can't find his dad's birth registration! Great start!! LOL Merry

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:29

Gordon - I have about a few of my stuck lines, but I'm still stuck! They are those impermeable brick walls!..... Merry

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:30

Ann.....I'll do a hubby swap with you, if you like?! Merry

Sue

Sue Report 1 Jun 2006 19:38

We should start thread for brickwalls.. Get everybody to add names and places. If like me i dont add all my ancestors to my tree on here.have them on my FTM and bits of paper and disc. Sue x

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:41

How would that help, Sue?? If I put up a message saying, am looking for a James Saunders occ labourer, date and place of unknown unknown - poss between 1780 and 1820 and somewhere in England......I could have 100 replies and I still could never pick him out! Merry

Sue

Sue Report 1 Jun 2006 19:43

It was just a though.. I suppose unknowns would be a problem...Lol sue x

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:44

All of my brickwalls are unknowns!! I must have 30 of them at least!!! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:45

Sorry if I sound scratchy, Sue........Still feeling very fed up. Merry

Sue

Sue Report 1 Jun 2006 19:49

I have a few like that.. At least some of mine i have places and dates . The one that is bugging me the most is my mothers G grandfather...Have the marraige cert and death cert but for the life of me cannot find his birth..so annoying Sue x

Sue

Sue Report 1 Jun 2006 19:50

Dont worry about feeling scratchy..I know we all have days like that...xxx Suex

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 1 Jun 2006 19:52

When you've got Elizabeth Brown b1800 in Cornwall & Donald Mcintosh b1818 Scotland it does make it difficult! Know what you mean about St Pancras Merry, got rellies from mine & hubbies side from there! Angela

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:52

I have just been looking at some old records on my research........in the last six years my tree (and hubby's) has gone from around 500 people, to about 5,500 people but with only one additional direct ancestor (and I've known her first name for a lot longer!!) That ratio is poor.....1:5,000 LOL! Merry (still fed up)

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 19:55

I've just realised.....earlier THIS YEAR I found out the first name of a direct ancestor.........Mary ! LOL.....That line is stuck forever too, and to think I was so hopeful when the 1841 census came out! Merry

Chrispynoodle

Chrispynoodle Report 1 Jun 2006 19:57

Cheer up Merry, it's summer and time to get out in the garden and enjoy the great outdoors.. I have let things slip a little as I think family treeing is a winter thing. Mind you summer hasn't started yet, has it. Don't forget, we have the World Cup to look forward to!!!! Anothere thing to do is to get out round the cemeteries and birth places of ancestors...see what's still standing. As for looking up ex husbands tree...I reckon mine were all hobbledehoys....shan't give that the time of day (not that I'm bitter or anything!!!) Chris

Merry

Merry Report 1 Jun 2006 20:01

LOL Chrispy! I have done the graveyards till I'm blue in the face, up to a radius of about 100 miles.....Last summer I went to two a bit further afield......want some new ones, but don't know where other peeps are buried........ Football........I didn't even know it was the FA Cup final the other week! Hubby is not interested either! Keep seeing peeps with England flags........Wonder what that's about then?? (LOL!!) Merry

Janet in Yorkshire

Janet in Yorkshire Report 1 Jun 2006 20:03

Hi Merry, Join the club - I haven't had a direct ancestor on some of my lines for longer than that. Once you are back to about 1750 it just gets harder and harder in some cases, especially if they were poor, kept their noses clean, moved about and lived in parishes not covered on IGI or transcribed by anyone.Throw into the equation they lived in a different part of the country from you, so local CRO no use, and it can get a tad frustrating. You find potential ancestors for them, but it's finding that one missing link to confirm it, especially when there is a gap in PR because some church warden in the past tore a few pages out of an old book to stoke the vestry fire on a cold evening, or the vicar made an error or omission writing up the register by candlelight, when he would rather have been doing something else. But the SHEER JOY of finally finding something after years of searching and puzzling is indescribable. Jay