Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Caroline Elizabeth McClelland

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 17 Feb 2006 09:26

Hello Good People. I am wondering if the Soldiers who were stationed in Aldershot and Greenwich would have sent their children to a school for Millitary Families seperate from the rest of the community. I hope I have explained that correctly? My Great Grandmother Caroline Elizabeth McClelland was born in about 1861 Ilsey. Her Father was Robert McClelland born about 1830 Ireland Sergeant Royal Artillery. Robert McClelland,s second wife was Ellen Carr dob approx 1830. Caroline also had a sister Harriett Agenes born about 1864. Ellen Carr is not Caroline and Harriets real birth Mother and I am trying to find info that could lead me to get a copy of Caroline,s birth Cert. I believe her real birth Mother could be a Harriet Ackley? Three other family members who I have made contact with through Genes are scratching their heads with this one as well. We have contacted so many places on this one and we dont know where to turn next? Any thoughts on this please. Regards Marion

Heather

Heather Report 17 Feb 2006 09:28

Just a thought Marion, as he was Royal Artillery, he would have been stationed at Woolwich Barracks, next to Greenwich. Ilsey is in Berkshire - yes? You could even try for his army records at Kew. Did you say you had tried ancestry beta index to find her birth reference?

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 17 Feb 2006 09:43

Not sure what the first part of your query has to do with the second! where was she born? I have no idea where Ilsley is. cant see them on 1861 for looking!

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 09:44

Why have you been unable to find Caroline (or Harriet's)'s birth cert? nell

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 17 Feb 2006 09:49

1871 for some point of reference Caroline E McClelland abt 1862 Ilsey Daughter Plumstead Kent Ellen McClelland abt 1831 Oxfordshire, England Wife Plumstead Kent Harriet A McClelland abt 1864 Aldershot Daughter Plumstead Kent Robert I McClelland abt 1857 Ireland Head Plumstead Kent

Heather

Heather Report 17 Feb 2006 09:52

I googled Ilsey and all I found was East Ilsey, Berks. Is that near Aldershot?

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 17 Feb 2006 09:53

Hi Heather and Jess, I have no idea either as I live in Australia. I am to believe Ilsey is in Hampshire somewhere? on some census it gives Hilsea others Plumstead. Another family member who lives in England has asked this same question of the Records Office people as to its location. Thats why I thought I would ask about the school and maybe find her details that way? Regards Marion

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 09:56

This is them in 1881? Robert says he was born in Scotland, not Ireland?: Robert MC CLELLAND Head M Male 45 Scotland Pensioner & Schoolkeeper Ellen MC CLELLAND Wife M Female 44 Oxford, Oxford, England Elizabeth MC CLELLAND Dau U Female 19 Hilsea, Hampshire, England Harriett MC CLELLAND Dau U Female 17 Aldershot, Hampshire, England Dwelling School Board For London Census Place Bermondsey, Surrey, England RG11 Piece / Folio 0573 / 65 Page 5

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 09:58

Since they wre still in Hampshire when Harriet was born, I am inclined to think Caroline was born in Hampshire too - but Hilsea/Ilsey isn't easy to identify. Have you got her on 1891 and 1901 - does she change her birthplace then? nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 09:59

Alternatively, if you could find a marriage between Robert and another woman before his 2nd marriage, and the 2nd marriage was after Harriet's birth, its a fair bet 1st wife was the girls' mother. Where/when she died might also offer clues. nell

Merry

Merry Report 17 Feb 2006 09:59

Do you have the 1865 marriage cert for Robert and Ellen? Is he recorded as a widower? Merry

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 09:59

There's a Hilsea in Portsmouth, but I would have thought an army bloke wouldn't be mucking about with the navy?? nell

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 17 Feb 2006 10:02

1861 I think....or not .... or is that too old?? Jane McKennan abt 1818 Gosport, Hampshire, England Wife Alverstoke Hampshire Robert McKennan abt 1817 Co Areshire, Scotland Head Alverstoke Hampshire Jane Powell abt 1789 Britan, Nk Mother-in-law Alverstoke Hampshire John F Powell abt 1860 Gosport, Hampshire, England Grandson Alverstoke Hampshire Thomas Powell abt 1791 Plymouth, Devon, England Father-in-law Alverstoke Hampshire

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 17 Feb 2006 10:03

Hi Nell, I have read your two messages. I cant find her birth Cert because I dont know who Carolines real birth Mother is? Caroline would have been about 4 years of age when her Father Robert Married Ellen Carr on the 6th Feb 1865 in Woolwich. Can you see what I mean about so many different birth Refs? Also Robert McClelland was born in Ireland and not Scotland. I have seen that one before as well. All the other info I have on Robert such as being an inmate in a Hospital all say Ireland.

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 10:04

I take it this is the marriage you are thinking of: Marriages 1852 June Greenwich 1d Page: 792 Ackley, Harriett MCCLELLAND, Robert

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 17 Feb 2006 10:04

who her mothers is makes no difference to finding her birth ref - until the cert is found, no one knows anyway fpr certain ** when was he in hospital??

Merry

Merry Report 17 Feb 2006 10:05

Aldershot is in Farnham District: So if Harriett (the daughter) was born there, I wonder if this is her mum's death? Deaths Mar 1864 McCLELLAND Harriett Farnham 2a 70 I did also wonder if this is Harriett's birth? Births Mar 1864 MCCLELLAND Agnes Farnham 2a 84 You have her recorded as Harriet A on the census, but imagine, that might be Harriet Agnes?? She was reg as Agnes, but then her mum died, so they added Harriet to her name in memory of her mum? Merry

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Feb 2006 10:06

I agree with Jess, the mother's name for a birth in 1860s won't be in the index, but only on the cert. You need to find some birth certs at around the right date in one of the southern counties for Caroline McClelland. Have you gone through the GRO birth indexes for those years? nell

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 17 Feb 2006 10:10

Hi Helen, Yes on his Marriage Cert it states Robert McClelland Widower. A Robert McClelland did marry a Harriet Ackley about 1851 Grennwich I think. When Robert was a inmate in the Hospital that same Harriet Ackley was a nurse there . Another family member informed me of that. Caroline was born 10 years after that date. Maybe Robert was in that hospital for almost ten years.

The Lady Marion

The Lady Marion Report 17 Feb 2006 10:19

Now I,m really confused. Sorry people. I have always thought Caroline,s sister was Harriet Agnes. Thats how I have always read it when doing my searching. I just want to order Carolines birth Cert but its impossible as I dont know where to order it from due to the different area mentioned.