Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Suggestions?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:23

I found an Alfred Moss aged 31 b Aldershot living Lambeth. with wife Louisa and son Alfred - they married in 1899 St Saviour profession Printer. On his marriage cert it states father also Alfred Deceased. I had a rummage in the 1881 census all I could find was one Alfred b Aldershot but it states Aldershot Surrey not Hants and father was George living in Camberwell - also found in the 1871 with father George. Have found only one Alfred son of Alfred profession printer but it states that this Alfred was born Southwark and in 1901 this Alfred's father was still alive. I really don't know what to do next have been unable to find birth cert for Alfred and not knowing any of his siblings. Am I getting lots of porkys from the 1901 census? I would really appreciate any suggestions Lin

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 10 Jan 2006 13:26

Does it have an occupation on the marriage cert, or is it just Deceased?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:27

It states Labourer - but that could mean labourer of anything ie printers labourer Lin

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 10 Jan 2006 13:30

I can't find Alfred in 1901. Is he in Lambeth?

Esta

Esta Report 10 Jan 2006 13:30

Lin - I know it's obvious but have you actually checked the images to make sure they say the same as the transcription ( I got stuck not long back looking for a birth - believing the transcription only to find it wasn't what was on the image )......Esta

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:31

Try Alfred Mors in Lambeth - yes mis-transcibed

Sandra S

Sandra S Report 10 Jan 2006 13:32

Hi Aldershot used to come under Surrey because it was quite a small village before the Army moved there, and it's neighbour Farnham (which is in Surrey) was a much larger town so registered the bmds. Sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:32

Esta I only brought Alfred up via the decoder Lin

Esta

Esta Report 10 Jan 2006 13:34

I'll just see if Ancestry has it transcribed the same for you.............

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 10 Jan 2006 13:34

Got him.... Alfred Mors 32 Aldershot Hants London Lambeth Press Assistant ok,.... hold on :) lol Alfred Mais abt 1869 Aldershot, Hampshire, England Head Lambeth London Louisa Mais abt 1878 Lambeth, London, England Wife Lambeth London Alfred E Mais abt 1898 Lambeth, London, England Son Lambeth London It is Moss. Not sure it's Aldershot, but it is Hants.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:35

Ok so if the 1901 Aldershot in Surrey would mean Aldershot in Hants - I found only one Alfred Moss b Aldershot but his father is George. Lin

Esta

Esta Report 10 Jan 2006 13:36

1901 Ancestry - is this them Alfred Mais abt 1869 Aldershot, Hampshire, England Head Lambeth London Alfred E Mais abt 1898 Lambeth, London, England Son Lambeth London Louisa Mais abt 1878 Lambeth, London, England Wife Lambeth London

Esta

Esta Report 10 Jan 2006 13:37

Sorry - I seem to be duplicating traceys info .............

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:38

Is this from reading the original Mais? Lin

Smiley

Smiley Report 10 Jan 2006 13:38

Since the one census we can assume Alfred snr was alive is 1871, as Alfred jnr was just born - ish.... 1871 - Surrey Alfred Moss abt 1837 Henley, Surrey, England Head Reigate Foreign Surrey Maria Moss abt 1835 Ewhurst, Surrey, England Wife Reigate Foreign Surrey Elizabeth Moss abt 1868 Reigate, Surrey, England Daughter Reigate Foreign Surrey Alfred Moss abt 1870 Reigate, Surrey, England Son Reigate Foreign Surrey Robert Walker abt 1815 Lasther, Westmorland, England Boarder Reigate Foreign Surrey

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:39

Thats ok Esta you carry on Lin

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2006 13:40

Sammy not the one Lin

Esta

Esta Report 10 Jan 2006 13:40

Just traced what I thought was your Alfred in 91/81 only to find his father was George - mother was a widow in 1891 !.........bum !

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 10 Jan 2006 13:42

Sammy, in 1891 that one is a Railway Signalman. I'm wondering if he was illegitimate. His mother might've married just after he was born, and then he would take the other mans surname, until he got married. I've got a few like that.

Smiley

Smiley Report 10 Jan 2006 13:43

you're welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!