Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestral-villages WEBSITE

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SimonOlley

SimonOlley Report 13 Jun 2005 00:36

There was a short thread about this website some months ago (ancestral-villagesCoUK). I visited the site tonight and was disappointed to see that it doesn't seem to have grown too much. A shame because I have found names of other people who lived in the same village that I am interested in and it does give you the opportunity to contact the person who made the entry to see if they have any information that might help in your own research - for me that might mean who employed all my ag lab ancestors. Sadly for me the email address supplied by one of the contributors seems not to work and I thought I was about to make a major breakthrough. I'm still reluctant to put my email address up visibly and an invisible contact method would be preferable. I was wondering what views others have on the site. I'm sure the potential for added detail to relatives lives, their communities and the local history is enormous especially if local historians get involved. I was particularly stunned to see that the church image in the site's banner is actually the church that most of my ancestors were baptised and married in. But that's another thing. So what views? Fill up the empty fields or what? Simon

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 13 Jun 2005 01:57

I found ancestral villages some time ago while doing a Google. I really think it is a good site but like you was surprised as there were not many entries. Hopefully in time and with the site being publicised a little more, the information will grow. Dorothy, Sydney

Sam

Sam Report 13 Jun 2005 09:42

I think a lot of the problems with websites such as Ancestral Villages is that people don't know they exist. I only found about about it about six months ago, via a similar thread on these boards. I have added most of my family and check back occasionally (don't remember very often if I'm honest) to see if anyone has added any potential relatives to 'my' villages. If people keep posting threads like this one then hopefully more people will see it and add their details to the site. It's a very good idea, its a twist on the usual 'surname interests' and I hope it picks up! Sam x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Jun 2005 13:42

Christina The site has listed all known villages and it just means no one has added to that village yet. Go on be a devil and be the first to add :))) Chris

Sheleen

Sheleen Report 13 Jun 2005 18:21

I added my rellies to AV's quite a while ago... and haven't been back in a long time to update. I think thats the problem... it would take me too long to add relevant people, and I really haven't the time. It IS a good site - a very good concept and idea... but badly publicised. On one part of the site where i have added rellies, there are only two contacts (including me) lol. Perhaps its been put on here again, people will go and take a gander?

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jun 2005 22:12

I added some of mine a while ago. When I went back to add more I felt that it was taking too long so I haven't been back since. Perhaps I should persist. Even if I only put one or two Ancestors in each Village. Jim

Angie

Angie Report 14 Jun 2005 10:40

I also tried this site a while ago,like some of you added a few of my names and didn't go back because of the lack of other users. Looks like were all on here anyway. Angie x

Mardi

Mardi Report 14 Jun 2005 11:05

I found Ancestral villages about 12 months ago through a genealogy magazine. Theres only me on three of my villages and my other villages are very slow in growing. It's a really good concept, so lets hope it gets a bit of a kick start with this thread. They have also done a census lookup for me on a Midlands village.

SimonOlley

SimonOlley Report 15 Jun 2005 00:13

So feedback so far is 'GOOD SITE needing more entries from visitors' so I say GO there and put at least one relative on any village that is important to you. It will only take a minute or two and will encourage others to do the same. It need only be the one - you don't have to put the lot! But give this site a helping hand - IT'S FREE and run by people who are genuinly interested. Simon (and for any cynics - I get nothing for giving the site a plug)

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 15 Jun 2005 00:26

I have my names on 2 villages Fulham and Datchet had a contact from the fulham one which was good, come on everybody put your names down lets make it grow

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 15 Jun 2005 13:04

I've added three to the villages site, hope it grows.

Heather

Heather Report 15 Jun 2005 13:12

I added one of mine about a year ago. Have just been back and there is one other name (not related) on there. I wish that the form was not so complicated. Could it please be simplified, so you just have name, dob-dod and family. I cant remember all the details of each ancestor and its a pain looking back and forth.

Margaret in Herts.

Margaret in Herts. Report 15 Jun 2005 13:23

I have just been onto this website and added a rellie. I shall add more in due course. Hopefully as time goes by more Villages will be added and it will grow! I hope so, :-) Margaret

treacle

treacle Report 15 Jun 2005 15:16

I have just added to it. Hopefully we can keep this thread at the top of the board so others can add too! Anne

Ann

Ann Report 15 Jun 2005 15:26

Curious Fox seems to work in the same way as you are describing ancesral villages. Have you had a look at that site? Ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2005 11:41

Just looked in to A V. I see a difficulty in that there seems no way to alter one's personal details. When I registered with them was BBB (Before BroadBand) so it recognises my old email address and I had to re-register with my new one. Anyone looking at my previous entries and trying to get in touch with me would not be able to.

Gigi

Gigi Report 17 Jun 2005 08:59

I added data to this website a year ago & have also subsequently changed email address. The only way I have found to change is to go to each record and change the address in the comments box. I can't find a way of altering my registration but I don't think that matters as it's not used for contacts. I also took the opportunity to add a few more ancestors! So come on everyone, KEEP ADDING!!! Gillian

Gigi

Gigi Report 28 Jun 2005 14:17

Hi Everyone, Keep posting!!! The more you do, the more likely you'll receive interesting info!! Gillian

***Maureen***

***Maureen*** Report 4 Jul 2005 20:49

ADDED TO THIS SITE SOME TIME AGO JUST REMEMBERED ABOUT IT WHEN I READ YOUR LETTER. SO HAVE POPPED BACK AND ADDED A LITTLE MORE. I,M SURE IF WE ALL ADD A LITTLE NOW AND THEN IT WILL SOON GROW. SO COME ON EVERYONE GIVE IT FIVE MINS OF YOUR TIME MAUREEN

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jul 2005 08:01

I started quite a few of the villages on this site. I like the layout and find it helps to clear in my mind my relatives' lives and movements. I've never had a contact from anyone, but I think if we are patient it will grow. Eventually it could be a great way of getting a local history, to add interest to the 10-yearly snapshots of the census. And of course pre-census it will be even more valuable. So please add your ancestral villages now! nell