Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2005 17:35

JUST FOUND MEDALS FOR A COLONAL ON EBAY THE STARTING BID IS £1,200.00, I CANNOT PRINT WHAT I THINK,

Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie Report 21 Apr 2005 18:22

Is what you think similar to flippin heck? that's what I thought when I read it. AL

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2005 18:31

hi ann,no a lot stronger, are a colonels medals won going over the top ,i dont think so, just glad he his not related to me for info on the colonel read my other thread ,ww1 medals on ebay 22/4/05 tony

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Apr 2005 18:32

Tony Wouldn't it be awful if he was related to you though! I'd sooooo want to get my hands on them, but there's no way I'd be able to afford them Jeanette x

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2005 18:40

hi jeanette, i just would not pay it, bandits thats all they are, i am going out to meet a rellie from canada,who lived in my home town just after the war, then went to canada,he never thought he was related till i found him on a army site, so i am looking foward to a great night,and fogetting the bandits,

Carol

Carol Report 21 Apr 2005 18:59

It could be a scam by someone using an highjacked account There are a lot of them involving high priced items.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 21 Apr 2005 19:08

Have a good night Tony

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2005 21:05

Tony if the medals were stolen what do you think the situation would be?.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2005 21:18

Tony, I have read your message concerning the set of medals and let's be honest here, I think you overlooked a few things. 1. The man earned the Military Cross for his actions during WW1. They did not give those out for the fun of it. If you had read the description of the item you would have seen that his unit captured 300 prisoners whilst under fire. This medal alone is worth over £400.00 He also received the British War Medal and Victory Medal 2. He then served in the Second World War and earned the 1939 star, Africa, Defence and War medals. He also has the 'mentioned in dispatches' oakleaf. They did not issue these for sitting on your backside. 3. He also has a General Service Medal and was with the Army until 1948. If you want to complain about these medals being sold then please state the truth when leaving your message. Medals are getting more and more expensive as the days go by. If this brave man had been killed in action then they would be worth almost double the price. The amount of research that has been carried out also adds to the value. All in all they are a fantastic set of medals and valued fairly.

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2005 21:29

Sorrey, but I cannot believe the last thread.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 21 Apr 2005 21:34

Ian Why can't youbelieve it??? Collecting medals is a popular collectors pastime theses days. My husband collects medals, and has quite a few. He's only been collecting a couple of years, but even some of the ordinary medals that he has have doubled in price. So if this is a full set that has been researched then, well the sky is the limit. And it's true, if the person who won the medals died in battle, they are worth more, sad but true fact of life.

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2005 21:39

I do apologise, I thought that I was on a site that members helped each other, not for profit or gain!!!!!

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 21 Apr 2005 21:43

Ian You are on a site where members help each other BUT the medals aren't being sold on here they're being sold on E-Bay. AND I never said i approved, just said it was a fact of life Shelli

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 21 Apr 2005 21:48

I may have missed the point here, but on a recent thread it was brought home to me that medals may be sold because the surviving family has nothing to live on. If these medals are being bought by collectors (and surely they are, at a price of £1200) then at least they are going to someone who will appreciate and cherish them. Supply and demand governs the price of everything, not just medals. Marjorie

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2005 21:54

Shelli, there is no justification in saying that they are sold on ebay, if you think that by saying that it,makes it alright, you are wrong, how many people on here, have lost track of their ancestors medals who earned, it and now expected to repurchase at inflated prices.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2005 21:57

I didn't mean the thread to be insulting, but the fact of the matter is that people will pay almost anything for the right set of medals. A Victoria Cross is worth more than my house!!!!! There are so many different aspects to collecting medals that it is almost mind blowing. Certain regiments command a very high price. I have seen medals go for an obscene amount of money on ebay but that is due to the fact that a number of people with the same surname as the recipient bid against each other. Many medals were sold for scrap metal value and this makes some regiments more valuable than others. Around 15 years ago you could go into any junk shop and there would be buckets of medals selling for 10p each. Now, a regular BWM will sell for over £15.00. The WW1 medals are more expensive as they are named and can be attributed to a person and so research can be carried out - at a cost. WW2 medals are cheaper as they were not named and therefore it is hard to prove who they were awarded to. I am NOT a medal collector or dealer but I have been to enough military shows to know that there are thousands of people out there who will pay good money for the right set or the right regiment. I recently found a dealer in America who has a QSA nedal that was awarded to my great grand father. I do not know how he managed to get hold of it but I cannot afford to buy it from him. I feel sorry for all those people who cannot find their family medals or who cannot afford to purchase them. So, I am sorry if my message was aggresive, but I wanted to explain why the group of medals were worth so much money.......Lauren

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 21 Apr 2005 22:00

Ian I simply answered your question, you said you thought you was on a site where members helped each..... you are. The medals are not being sold on here an thus have no effect on us as members what ever our thoughts on the sale of these medals are. Marjorie is right, is a supply and demand world we live in and if someone is going to pay an inflated price i'm pretty sure the dealer will accept

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 21 Apr 2005 22:03

If someone has medals that have been purchased legit then they have the right to do what they like with them ie sell them on,make a profit on ebay or enywhere for that matter. I would do the same. Paul

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2005 22:05

Chistopher what do you mean? I really can't uderstand it.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Apr 2005 22:06

Hold onto your hat Tony as you will not like what I am about to say. Many dealers of medals will tell you that the reason the cost of medals has increased is due mainly to the interest in family history. I know that if I were to find medals named to Pepperidge then I would try my hardest to find a way to purchase them. If a group of medals appears on Ebay with a common surname then you can imagine how many people will try to get them. Sadly, as many people sold their family medals when things got difficult, then you cannot blame the dealers for that fact. They only supply the medals at a cost that they know people will pay. I am not saying it is right but it is simply a well known fact. Most dealers will tell you that 5 years ago you could buy a WW1 trio for a few pounds but now you can pay up to and over £100. You cannot blame the dealers for that. If people were not prepared to pay that amount of money then the cost would come down. I do not understand what you want people to do Tony. Do you want all dealers and collectors to trace the next of kin and return the medals to the family at no charge?