Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unusual first names

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 14 Jan 2005 11:48

I would love to hear about your relatives unusual first names, one of my relatives was called Ezekiah Nehemiah Thorpe, (his brothers were a plain John and Thomas.) Can you better this?

Hilary

Hilary Report 14 Jan 2005 11:57

Hi Ruth, from one family I have Elnathan,Manasseh Cornelius and Ephraim all apparently from the bible and all boys , their sister were just plain Emma and Harriet. best wishes Hilary

KM1978

KM1978 Report 14 Jan 2005 12:00

hi in one of my familys i have a treagren ive never heard of this have you

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jan 2005 12:00

I have Doca or Docey, female and different spelling each census.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Jan 2005 12:00

Still trying to find out more about a boy called Posthumous.

Simon

Simon Report 14 Jan 2005 12:02

I've also got and Ephraim, and a Dorcas (female). Simon

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jan 2005 12:03

Gwyneth, was he born after his dad died? Heather

Anna

Anna Report 14 Jan 2005 12:04

Ive got a few unusual boys names,but all the girls seemed to Elizabeth or Sarah. Ive got a Captain and Walker Wilson (All forenames),all their siblings had normal names, and Ive got another family with 2 boys called Heslop and Obadiah Anna :-)

Joy

Joy Report 14 Jan 2005 12:04

Mahetable - love that name! Joy

Anne

Anne Report 14 Jan 2005 12:08

How about Walburga? She was 2nd youngest of 10 and the rest are James, Christopher, Jean etc. Most odd! Anne

Ruth

Ruth Report 14 Jan 2005 12:13

Wow, Ezekiah Nehemiah seems quite normal now! Ruth.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Jan 2005 12:58

The worst first name I've found is Drinkwater. Haven't quite worked out if he's related to me yet, but I just put it into freebmd as a first name and a quite a few of them came up. Strange!

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 14 Jan 2005 13:02

I've got a couple of Lamplugh's and an Aquilla (male) I've also got a Rawdon, Banks, and a Birkby.

Helen

Helen Report 14 Jan 2005 13:06

What about Fison? I thought they made fertilizer!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Jan 2005 13:14

Heather That's what we wondered. We have found his marriage and baptism of his children, but so far no record of his birth, All pre. registration.

Anne

Anne Report 14 Jan 2005 13:32

My strangest is Mnason. Thought it was a mistranscription for ages but then found it in the Bible! Anne

Angela

Angela Report 14 Jan 2005 13:33

I have come across a Nimrod!!

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jan 2005 13:34

I have a Damascene (female). Died of TB in 1838 at the age of 24, leaving three young children.

Heather

Heather Report 14 Jan 2005 14:00

I have a Bathsheba. Gwyneth, perhaps his mum died when he was born? Heather

Jack

Jack Report 14 Jan 2005 14:14

I have Bewshaw (pronounced Byoosher, so my father recalls) which is the only one I've discovered during my census searches. I think the person who registered the birth meant Beauchamp but couldn't spell it. Jack