Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Curious Fox

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 5 Oct 2004 23:26

When I first saw the Curious Fox website I was really excited and posted a message on the GR boards to encourage its use. I've since posted quite a few messages on Curious Fox... but have yet to have ANY response. I think the site has enormous potential - but would be interested to hear whether people have found it helpful???

Mardi

Mardi Report 6 Oct 2004 00:14

Hi Linda, I registered with them about 6 months ago, thinking the same as you and posted quite a few ancestors names and dates and places. There are matches to my names, but I have never had a contact from anyone, I'm not paid up so I can't contact them unless they are paid up. It could be a really good site and it did have the thumbs up from the genealogy mags. Kaye (Sydney)

Linda

Linda Report 6 Oct 2004 00:42

I registered as a full member of Curious Fox and listed several ancestors names, dates and places - I have had no response at all. I also contacted one or two people and got no replies from them either! That was many months ago now - I don't think I'll bother again.

Supergran

Supergran Report 6 Oct 2004 06:52

I have had the same response -zilch!! Forgotten all about it to be honest. Maybe thats the problem,nobody feels inclined to go back Brenda

Linda

Linda Report 6 Oct 2004 08:49

I had a message from a guy whos Grandfather was my 2XGreat Uncle. I confirmed his info and offered to share certs etc but he never bothered to get back to me. It sometimes makes me wonder what people are trying to do. I have had several hits on curious fox but only one that responded and kept up contact.

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 6 Oct 2004 11:24

I have been a non-paying member on Curious Fox for about one year and have had really good luck in being contacted about several ancestors, with wonderful results. As a non- paying guest one receives E-mail from Curious Fox with E-mail address of the person interested in your names. I have had no problems with this site and can really recommend it. Liz

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 17:21

I have to say that I have never been contacted and when I saw this thread and revisited the site the only entries for people I was interested in, were mine! nell

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 6 Oct 2004 19:44

What a shame! There are so many genealogy sites out there, some useful and some not... but I had really high hopes about Curious Fox!

Shelagh

Shelagh Report 19 Feb 2005 22:09

saw your message today and thought i would have a look at the site - and within an hour some kind person had located my missing relative and a load of others i didn't know existed. what a lovely lot of people you are!! thanks. shelagh

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 19 Feb 2005 22:24

Linda, I first saw this site mentioned on a thread on here - so off I went and had a look...........registered as a non-paying member straight away. First surname search I did was on my Father's mother's maiden name - and top of the list there was a message from someone researching my Gt G'Father......... Sent an email and turns out the chap is a cousin of my Father living in Australia that he never knew about, he was born to my Dad's eldest aunt by her second marriage! So, albeit one contact, still a great success as far as we are concerned :O)

Angela

Angela Report 20 Feb 2005 14:14

I registered about a year ago and had a few replies to messages I posted. Since then, very little seems to have happened!!! It doesn't seem to have progressed very much. When I have looked back at the pages I put my messages on, nothing had been added at all. I think it was a bit of a flash in the pan and other sites (like this one) have overtaken it.

John

John Report 5 Sep 2015 14:32

WHO OUT THERE IS LOOKING FOR "BRAZIER" ABBERLEY c1634.
EPITAPH IN St MICHAELS, ON SLATE TABLET.
I AM A DIRECT DECENDENT-- MY NAME JOHN BRAZIER
RESPOND FOR CONTACT

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Sep 2015 15:28

I found, or he found me, my cousins long lost brother. They knew their mum had had a baby, sex unknown, before she married.

I posted about the family looking for ancestors in the area of Surrey, and he found my post on there and contacted me.

To say it was a very tearful reunion would be an understatement. This was 2 years ago!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Sep 2015 15:51

John - not sure how your query is connected to "Curious Fox"?

Might be worth starting a new thread of your own.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Sep 2015 13:08

John -
perhaps you think you're responding to this message on Curious Fox?

Brazier, Brazier family Abberley Worcestershire
Anyone know anything of the Brazier, Brazier, families in abberley? I have a John Brazier b1630 abberley and his father roger, I believe was a yeoman of abberley
Surname Keywords: Brazier, Brasier
http://www.curiousfox.com/uk/snSearch/snSearch.lasso?

To respond directly to that message, you need to do it on the Curious Fox website.

But if you would like help with your tree, the helpers here on GenesReunited will be happy to help.
However, you'd be best to start a new thread of your own, on the "Find Ancestors" board, as MarieCeleste suggests.

There's no point in people adding information about the Brazier family to the end of this thread, which is a discussion on the efficacy or otherwise of Curious Fox.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Sep 2015 13:13

PM sent to John to let him know how to return here, in case he's waiting for replies from Curious Fox.

Andrew

Andrew Report 25 Sep 2015 02:38

John, its me who was, is, after him... Im a descendant too!! and yes argyllgran, it was the curious fox thing :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Sep 2015 10:34

Andrew - best to send him a reply by clicking on his name.
As John is a relatively new user to the boards he may not be expecting you to continue on this thread

It's better to exchange info, share trees etc off the boards.

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 21 Jul 2017 12:16

I'm happy to say that I've had a lot of success with the Curious Fox website.I put up notices on there about the families that I wanted more information on.2 or 3 people helped me on one particular brick wall I had,they were wonderful with the amount of help that they gave me,and were not even related to me! I have had other relations contact me from other lines also.I did have one major disappointment-a lady contacted me re a line that I knew nothing about,and gave me some information,and when I tried to contact her,I couldn't,as she wasn't a paid-up member.Generally I think it's a great site,what have you got to lose? It's only about $10 or $20 for the year,and you never know who will contact you.You can leave as many messages as you like also.

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 21 Jul 2017 12:21

Correction for the above reply...when I tried to contact the lady,I could,but she couldn't contact me directly,as she wasn't a paid-up member.I was gutted as I was on the verge of a breakthrough with this line,and I couldn't get back in contact with her!