Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TribalPages and Gencircles

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 26 Jan 2004 18:18

This page has been mentioned before but www(.)tribalpages(.)com is a free site which allows you to build your own family tree including adding up to 15MB of photographs. It is excellent. If you want to have a look at my attempt to give you ideas (just started adding photos by the way), look at www(.)tribalpages(.)com(/)tribes(/)rvrord. Gencircles finds 'smartmatches' between your names and the other trees which have been submitted again it is totally free. Gencircles also has message boards for surname and area but it is sadly underused by the 'members'. Check them both out and submit your trees - more ways to make connections!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Jan 2004 18:51

Have been using it for sometime Russel. It also allows Gedcom backup. Bob

Deborah

Deborah Report 26 Jan 2004 19:40

Wow!! Very impressive Russell. Is it difficult to set up? Would like to have my own web page, but my current ISP doesn't give free web space. Debbie

Janet

Janet Report 26 Jan 2004 20:10

Just a word of warning here - a few years ago, I started a website to cover my other interests. I chose Homestead, because it was free, and very easy to use. Then they decided that they would have to charge. By that time I'd built a huge website, which had had thousands of hits etc., and I didn't want to lose it, so I agreed to pay. Now, its about $85 a year, and who is to say it won't just keep going up every year. So Tribal may be free now, but it might not, once you have committed all your information to it and don't want to lose it. Jan.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Jan 2004 20:41

As I said above Jan it does allow backup to a gedcom an your own computer(which GC does not). Deborah answering for Russell it is very easy to set up just register and upload your gedcom, it does the rest!. It is very good and there is nothing to lose. (uploading photos may be slow if not on broadband) Mine is on http://www.tribalpages(.)com/tribes?userid=yobert&x=13&y=10i Bob

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 26 Jan 2004 21:58

Ruseel for some reason I can't get on to your site keeps telling no member id or something. Got onto Debbies and Bob's ok tho Shelli

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2004 22:14

I too have started my tree on Tribal and it is a great site to store information and photos on.

Russell

Russell Report 27 Jan 2004 07:07

Malcolm, the 2MB is for the GEDCOM, you get an extra 15MB for photos! Gencircles is also excellent and well worth plugging again.

ken from Hunua

ken from Hunua Report 27 Jan 2004 08:29

Has anyone purchased gencircles sister product Family Tree Legends? Is it anywhere as good as they claim? ken hastings hunua nz

Russell

Russell Report 27 Jan 2004 15:51

That is some tree Malcolm! How long have you been researching? Is it the number of family members which makes it so huge or extensive notes? Perhaps if you emailed those at tribal pages, they may be able to accommodate your tree.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 27 Jan 2004 16:21

Malcolm Your file does seem large for that number of names. There are sites on TB with more names than yours but perhaps they have lowered the limit recently Bob

Russell

Russell Report 29 Jan 2004 16:00

Just changed the name of the thread in order to keep plugging these sites.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Jan 2004 16:18

russell im having the same problem as shelli:( no such user!!! susie

Russell

Russell Report 29 Jan 2004 16:29

Hello Susie, if you just go to the basic url without all the slashes and type in rvrord in the user ID box, it should work.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 29 Jan 2004 16:31

thanx russell:)) susie

Russell

Russell Report 3 Feb 2004 21:06

I have noticed that gencircles is a bit hit and miss re getting onto the site over the last few days. Has anybody else noticed this?

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 3 Feb 2004 22:35

Both TribalPages and GenCircles are excellent. Both are extremely easy to use... if you haven't already uploaded your GEDCOM to them, please consider yourself encouraged to do so!! They really are worth linking up with. GenCircles SmartMatches are brilliant - and I keep getting emails congratulating me on all the hard work I've obviously put into producing my TribalPages website (which was produced, literally, at the press of a button!!! Russell, I purchased Legends - but decided I preferred Family Historian, which I already use, so have since received a refund.

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 4 Feb 2004 00:37

Karen If you go to My GenCirlces you will see a list of your files... you can then click on the one you need to delete.

Russell

Russell Report 7 Feb 2004 16:29

Just resurrecting the plug for these excellent sites for anybody who still is not aware of them :-)

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 9 Feb 2004 00:20

Just re-nudging the plug!