Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Famous Ancestors

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Oct 2003 17:09

While tracing my friends family tree on her mothers line she has several famous rellies from the lock smith trade that created some of the greatest lock of the time, and on the father side they are related to the Arkwrights who invented the spinning Jenny. Have you been pleasantly suprised with famous rellies.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 13 Oct 2003 17:33

My grandads cousins son is Jimmy Greaves. never met him though... e x

Maxine

Maxine Report 13 Oct 2003 20:19

Sadly no -they are all fairly dull!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Oct 2003 20:28

Hi, My 5 x gt grandmother's first cousin was hanged for the murder of his wife. His name was John Walford and it was quite a famous case as many people spoke up for him in court. The case was written about by Wordsworth, Coleridge and Thomas Poole and an opera "The Charcoal Burner" was also written about him. On the way to the gibbet he called in at his local and had a last drink with his friends. His body was gibbeted for a year after he was hanged. I haven't dared tell my aunts about him. Gwynne

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 13 Oct 2003 22:12

according to paternal grandmother Eric Porter - actor is supposed to be a distant relative - but unable to prove Liz

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 13 Oct 2003 22:20

my greatgranddad was a "churchill", it is said that he was related to Winston Churchill somewhere along the line! hav'nt found out where yet!! but i've been told he resembled him very much.

Carol

Carol Report 13 Oct 2003 22:36

Not found any yet. Incidentally, what is gibbeted?

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2003 22:42

I'm very impressed with the idea of notorious rellies, but I haven't got any myself (as far as I know!!). My dad died 7 years ago and I miss him an awful lot. He was (Arthur) Gordon Clough a broadcaster and journalist mainly on Radio 4, but to me he was just my Dad. Not so much a claim to fame, more a little bit of info!!! Eleanor

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 13 Oct 2003 22:42

Famous godfather to one of my relatives. Fiona

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 13 Oct 2003 22:45

Sadly no. One of my relatives made medical history as the first person in Britain to have an operation to improve his speech (he had throat cancer), which apparently now is routine. Obviously only doctors who have 'firsts' are mentioned, not their patient. He was terminally ill and died soon afterwards.

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 Oct 2003 22:49

My Granny's cousin was Prof Rodney Porter who won the nobel prize for medicine in the 70's My great grandad John Youds was a Golf Pro and even went in the 1897 Open (woohoo lol) well he is infamous round my way! think having a rellie who was gibetted is pretty cool though!

Michael

Michael Report 13 Oct 2003 23:28

My 12 greats uncle was executed at the Tower of London on what are widely considered by historians to be trumped up charges. He was a younger son, given an allowance £3:4s:1d a year by his father (my 12 greats grandfather) who also managed to get him a post as a groom to the King. While acting as a trusted aid to the King, he secured great personal wealth but also he unfortunately made bad enemies. When the the King came to get rid of Anne Boleyn, he decided to get rid of my uncle as well! There is a very readable account of this at www(.)brereton(.)org/professor_eric_ives(.)htm

Crista

Crista Report 13 Oct 2003 23:57

Carol, Gibbeted means his body was left to rot for all to see. Usually in an iron cage. Shouldn't the title of this thread be Famous Ancestors? Crista

Barbara

Barbara Report 13 Oct 2003 23:59

Michael, compelling reading!! Its incredible that so much information can be found about one person. Wish i had one of those in my family!!

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Oct 2003 01:42

According to my mother, one of her grandmothers claimed that she had her family tree profesionaly research and we are related to Ann Boyeln! I have no idea what happened to that tree or if it really excists, could be just one of those storys, but would be nice if it were true. So far my family were a very ordinary lot! Michelle

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 14 Oct 2003 06:59

im related to Geoff Hurst the footballer

Steph

Steph Report 14 Oct 2003 08:10

Am currently looking into my mum's side of the family , having got back to the 1800's I am finding loads of Shakespeare's in Coventry, now that would be a connection I'd like to find!!

Patricia

Patricia Report 14 Oct 2003 09:19

Crista i sorted out the title of the thread LOL. Pat

Helen

Helen Report 14 Oct 2003 10:01

My Nan says her family are related to Elizabeth (Gurney) Fry who is famous for women's prison reform in the 1800s. I have managed to trace the family back to Albert Gurney 'gentleman' born c.1803 and think I am only one step away from making the connection (or not).

Patricia

Patricia Report 14 Oct 2003 11:13

Helen My friend has a link to the famous poet Gurney from Glos a possible link for you. regards