Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am Visiting Stafford Records Office

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 17:05

I am on holiday this week, so I am going to book a day at Stafford records office sometime this week. I have not been before, so I don't know what's on offer, but I am more than happy to do some look ups if people need them. Let me know what you are after (please try and be specific!) and I'll do my best. Regards Maxine

Penny

Penny Report 24 Aug 2003 19:13

Maxine, I am trying to find information on the 1871 Census. Here is what I have - William starkey married Emma Brown Sept 22, 1851. MC shows he was "Full age" and she was "Minor years" From IGI I found my gr grandfather's information, - Another William Starkey, plus 3 siblings - Louisa, Caroline and John all christened between 1853 to 1858. A cousin of mine has now told me she found another sibling - Samuel Starkey born August 28, 1861. He got married in January 1881, so the 1881 Census does not tell me who his parents were. He was born too late to be included in 1861 Census information. I am trying to determine if Samuel Starkey does indeed belong to this line, as my cousin did not keep any notes on where she found her information. Also I cannot find William or Emma on 1881 Census, so unable to pin point their age more exactly. I am guestimating they were born around 1830(s) so would have been 40ish in 1871 Census. If you have the time, and if the records are available I would appreciate any information you may be able to supply. Thank you for your offer to do research for others Penny

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 19:19

Hi Janet & Penny Will do my best to get you some info - Penny , can you let me know which area in Staffordshire your rellies relate to. Regards Maxine

May

May Report 24 Aug 2003 19:31

Hi Maxine I am still waiting for Joseph Worthington's birth certificate. Debbie found that I had been looking for Tunstall Stafford and the registration district was really Wolstanton.Joseph was born 1849 Tunstall Stafford. His address on the 1881 census was 36 Goddard Street. He is not on the 1901 census so must have died between 1881 and 1901 He married Annie Dove. I have all the info on the 1881 census but cannot get any further back. Any info would be great Maxine. May

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 19:39

Hi May No problem - especially as I will be looking for Worthington's myself!!! Maxine

May

May Report 24 Aug 2003 19:47

Thanks Maxine, might find we are related somewhere. Just waiting for my first assignement for Scan2. Did the test and it was alright.Looking forward to it. It is nice to put something back as well as asking for something. Happy hunting. May

Penny

Penny Report 24 Aug 2003 20:05

Sorry Maxine, apparently my brain went dead, the area is Walsall. The information I have states Samuel Starkey (born 1861) was born in Shelfield Walsall. Any information you are able to find would be really appreciated. Penny

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 20:14

hi May - glad you managed to get going with freeBMD - that reminds me , I have one to fininsh! Penny- will try to get you some info - not sure which day I will go , it depends when they open etc.. Regards Maxine

Mystified

Mystified Report 24 Aug 2003 20:19

Hi Maxine, Bet you are regretting this mail now. lol Should you get chance though a look up on the 1871 census for John Henry LLoyd age 7 with a father called William. Any memebers of family in the house as well. I will offer you a look up in Wilts in exchange if that helps. :o) John PS Don't worry if you don't get time.

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 20:23

Janet I havn't forgotten your photos of Hopton Pools - I am on holiday this week & I have left the digital camera at work - so it'll be around the weekend of 13/14 sept before I'm able to go - but don't worry I won't forget! Regards Maxine

Maxine

Maxine Report 24 Aug 2003 20:31

Hi John I'll add you to my list! Where abouts in Staffs are your folks from? Regards Maxine

Rachel

Rachel Report 24 Aug 2003 20:37

hi Maxine A very generous offer. I f you have time I wonder if you could look up a family for me on 1871 census Elizabeth Edwards 42 b.penkridge Eliza " 11 b. Tipton Richard 10 b. Tipton William 8 b. Woodsetton Harriet 6 b. " Lucy 4 b. " James 2 b. " In 1881 they are living at 47 Sedgely Road Sedgley but they may well still have been in Woodsetton 1871. What I would like to know is the name and details of the father as he has died by 1881 and need to know his name to link up with james's marriage cert and see if this is the right family. If this is all possible I would be very grateful as I have come to a halt. thanks Rachel

Tracey

Tracey Report 24 Aug 2003 21:11

Hi Maxine, If you get time as i know you are already going to be very busy could you look up some Cartlidge's for me on the 1871? I'm looking for John b. 1810, Charles b.1811, William b.1816 and Edward b.1821. They were all born in Cheadle. Don't know a great deal about their families so it might be a bit difficult. Anything would help though as i'm at a bit of a standstill. Their name could also be spelt CartlEdge. Thanks in advance. Tracey, Bolton

Mystified

Mystified Report 25 Aug 2003 07:50

Hi Maxine, A puzzle really where they are from. In the 1891 and 1901 census he says Bloxwich but it could also be Cheslyn Hay. He was born, I think, in Dec quarter 1863,(Walsall reg.) mother Sarah, father William. However I can't find then on 1881, well not M and D and John together. There is a John and a William in 1881. So did mother die? That's why I would like an idea from 1871. This family also had a daughter Ann Marie but I have a feeling she may have died. I am also wondering if there is a Charles with them c1857. It would be great if you could try but I know you may be busy with the others. John

Maxine

Maxine Report 26 Aug 2003 19:11

Hi there I have got all your queries in my trusty notebook! When I get up there(they were shut today!) I'll give them all my best shot. Regards Maxine

summerdaze

summerdaze Report 26 Aug 2003 22:38

Hi Maxine Thanx for the info you sent me a while back, I did send you a thank you but what with all the virus's going around at the time thought it wise not too go on computer for a while,had a thorough checkup and new anti-virus thingy's added,wasn't quite sure who had received reply's and who hadn't!!! Look's like you're going to be very busy,or are you booking in for a week?!!Don't worry if you don't get time to do a look up for me,you've already helped me loads. janet

Maxine

Maxine Report 27 Aug 2003 10:09

Just to let you know I've managed to book my day at Stafford records office. I am going all day tomorrow(Thursday). So hopefully will have some info for you all on Friday. Regards Maxine

Maxine

Maxine Report 29 Aug 2003 10:27

Hi Guys Well I spent 8 hours at the records office yesterday, and I am afraid I didn't do very well for you. I spent 7 hours in pursuit of Vincent Holland - and still didn't find him! Perhaps it was because I only found out about the name index for 1851/1861 and part 1871 at 4.30, just before they closed! I have managed to get some of the references for you all & I am going back again on 13th Sept , and I am putting yesterday down to a learning experience! I've got some stuff for John, but I don't think it's what he wants - but here it is 1871 census: Parish of St Michael(Bloxwich)- area Pelsall. Road unreadable William Lloyd Head aged 23 Coal miner, born Lane Heath Staffs Eliza, Wife 22 born Pelsall James T Lloyd brother aged 15, born Lane Heath,Staffs. ----------------------------- No 6 Road Unreadable Rachel Lloyd Head Widow aged 70, born Salop-Dawley -------------------------------- Either Horton or Forton Head No 61 Michael Lloyd Head 27 Iron worker b Pelsall Julie(?- hard to read) wife 30 b Oldbury James son 2 b.Pelsall David son 3 months b. pelsall ------------------------------------ I know it doesn't fit with what you asked, but I will look again when I go back. Tracey - I didn't get chance to look at Cheadle, but there there loads of Cartlidges in Shelton, both on St Marks parish records, and Bethesda Chapel. I didn't note them as there were too many. Karen - I think I will struggle to find anything for you, as Harborne/ Smethwick I think come under a different records office. I didn't see anything for those areas, they may come under Birmingham. Janet/Penny/May/Rachel - will try again. Its going to be a regular thing now I know the ropes, so will get you some info as soon as I can. Sorry not to bring you more today Maxine

summerdaze

summerdaze Report 29 Aug 2003 20:01

Hi Maxine Many thanx for trying, Know what you mean about "knowing for next time". It's a very addictive thing this geneology hobby isn't it? Doesn't time fly when in the records office? janet

Penny

Penny Report 29 Aug 2003 21:14

Maxine, thank you so much for offering to do the lookups to begin with and to offer to continue hunting. If and when you have the chance. Don't worry about time frame, I just appreciate the offer. Penny