Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guernsey, Channel Islands

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 28 Aug 2007 15:28

I noticed recently a few folk need assistance for Guernseyl As I live in Guernsey I would be happy to go along to the local archives and check out any information anyone would like.

For information copies of certificates here are quite expensive at GBP 15 each but I can get all the information from the archives and put it in to an email or in the post.

Sometimes the archivist has 'other information' that researchers have left with them (newspaper articles etc) and this is usually around GBP 2.

My time - free of charge!

Shirley as Sherlock

ann

ann Report 28 Aug 2007 15:38

Shirley,you are wonderful.I have a Bennett Treloar that lived in St Peters Port.I will have to look at the 1851 census to get the information.What it is i would like to know when this family left from England there were 2 Treloar children,Thomas born in 1846 in St Austell and sister Caroline born 1849.When they came back there was only Caroline and Bennett who was born 1853?What the family would like to know as this is our brick wall was Thomas name changed to Bennett in 1853?Any help would be appreciated but of course please dont put all your energy into this and waste good time for someone else.Thanking you very much Annie

Heather

Heather Report 28 Aug 2007 16:32

Thats very kind of you.

ann

ann Report 29 Aug 2007 18:34

Thank you very much Shirley and i will pm you later . Annie

Whitenancy

Whitenancy Report 29 Aug 2007 19:23

Nudge for Olive

Olive

Olive Report 29 Aug 2007 19:44

Iam trying to trace some Ancestors that i believe Lived in Jersey they were their Around 1956.William Colston and Freda not sur if they were married.

Any info would be graet

thanks olive

Steve

Steve Report 29 Aug 2007 21:21

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for the kind offer.I am looking for the possible baptism of Esther/Hester Stroud 1745-1755.She was married in Corfe Castle in 1773 where it states she was from Guernsey.

Many Thanks,
Steve.

SRW

SRW Report 30 Aug 2007 17:28

Thanks so much Shirley for you kind offer to do look ups etc. for Guernsey. The Priaulx Library are very helpful but oh dear it does cost a lot! Could you look up some marriages for me? Also anything else - births or deaths - you come across.

Emily Ann(ie) Jory b 1880 St Peters Port
married 23/101905
John Yates b 1876 Surrey, England

Jane(y) Matthews b 1837 Salford, England
married about 1880
Robert V. Jory b 1856 St. Peters Port

Jane Le Blond b 1832 StPeters Jersey
married about 1855
John Matthews b 1830 Dorset, England

Jane Le Blond b about 1806
married about 1828
don't know who or even if she married at all!

Thanks a lot, Shirley.

Sandy

dutch

dutch Report 30 Aug 2007 18:08

hi Shirley
thats very kind og you one of my rellies daughter was born in Gurmsey in 1875 could you look up the birth please her name was ellen jane murphy,parents names patrick murphy and elizabeth mclaughlin,thank you for what ever you may be able to find
joyce from holland

dodsy

dodsy Report 31 Aug 2007 17:56

Hi Shirley

I really appreciate your offer of help to do look ups for Guernsey.

I have a rellie who had a butchers shop in St Sampsom on the quays I believe, in the 1920's and 1930's, his name was Herbert Oswald Webb and he was born in 1878 in Flintshire in Wales.

I think he must have married over there as well, the last sighting of him was in the 1901 census here in England.

I know he had some chldren who were my mothers cousins and she used to holiday with them during those times.

Hope I haven't been too long winded but any info would be great on the Webb family.

Many thanks

Wendy

moe

moe Report 31 Aug 2007 18:06

just adding my name so i can find this thread later, i have mislaid my HARVEY notes....moe

i may not have enough info for a search, but here goes

JAMES HARVEY born GUERNSEY ISLAND c1852.
he was a mariner and married in Warrington in 1874 to ALICE FEARON born Liverpool, i will understand if you can't do a search with this info, and think you are an angel for offering...moe

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 Sep 2007 17:12

Shirley

If I may take you up on your kind offer....

I am looking for a marriage.
Thomas Lihou married Susan (probably Nicolle). Their first child was born c1848 at St Peter Port Guernsey.

Many thanks
Chris

Susan

Susan Report 2 Sep 2007 19:18

Hi Shirley

Many thanks for this kind offer. Could you please look for the births of

Sarah Florence Roberts c1874
Edward Daniel James Roberts c1876

Their parents were Sarah and John Roberts.

I would love any information you can find.

Many thanks
Susan

ann

ann Report 13 Sep 2007 20:08

Nudge for Joy

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Sep 2007 22:16

hi shirley,ive been directed to you by grannie,
im trying to find the name in a marriage,and im having no luck.
THOMAS MORGAN B1835 AXMINSTER TORQUAY DEVON.
MARRIED ANNA M. B 1840 GUERNSEY CHANNEL ISLANDS.

im wondering because she was born in the channel islands,that im having a problem finding her last name.

i,d be really gratefull for any advise or help.thankyou.
xxxjoy

Annette

Annette Report 13 Sep 2007 23:58

Shirley,
what an god-send you will be.....
I will pm you later with a couple of searches. My Mum & Dad were both born on Guernsey, and have traced back a couple of lines, but just need confirmation on a couple of things.
YOU ARE A STAR!!!!!
Annette (in OZ)

Alison

Alison Report 14 Sep 2007 00:26

Hello Shirley

Thank you for your kind offer. I have an Elizabeth Croft, my ggg grandmother born c1814 in Guernsey, daughter of Thomas Croft and Elizabeth Croft. I was wondering if a baptism could be found for her?

I know she married in Hertfordshire in 1834 and she and her parents settled in Herts.

I would be very grateful if you could have a look at some point when convenient for you.

Regards
Alison

Shirley

Shirley Report 14 Sep 2007 13:27

Hello to everyone who has asked for my help! I will endeavour to get all of you your answers but please bear with me as I explore the records!

I will be away 21st - 30th September but will get as much done as I can before I go.

Best Regards
Shirley

Eileen

Eileen Report 14 Sep 2007 17:36

Thank you for your offer Shirley,
William Mogridge was on Alderney in 1841,at Lengy Barracks with his wife Hannah. In 1851 he is at St Peter Port,a Greenwigh pensioner and a widower.Neither census says where he was born,except England!! Would there be any way that the other documents might give a clue as to his birthplace?
In 1851 he was at 12,Paris Street St Peter Port.
In hope, Eileen

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸JUPITER JOY AND HER CRYSTAL BALLS(¯`*•.¸ Report 15 Sep 2007 16:16

thankyou shirley am very very gratefull.xxx