Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie Mann- Leicester

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 9 Oct 2007 12:40

Help please. My grandma, Annie Mann nee Fowkes lived in Leicester and died around 1972 aged 79 (i think) that makes her year of birth 1893 ish. I cannot find her anywhere on this site???? I know nothing about my mothers side of the family( Annie was my mums mum) and would love to find out more.
Any tips gratefully received or if anyone thinks they have info on Annie or her family? Thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Oct 2007 12:45

Do you know if she was born in Leicester?

There are these possible births:-

Name: Annie Fowkes
Year of Registration: 1892
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Leicester (1837-1974)
County: Leicestershire
Volume: 7a
Page: 295

and

Name: Annie Elizabeth Fowkes
Year of Registration: 1892
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Leicester (1837-1974)
County: Leicestershire
Volume: 7a
Page: 274

There are other Annie Fowkes born around that time but in different places on the partially transcribed index on Ancestry.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Oct 2007 12:53

There's this one on the 1901 census. A possibility?
28 Littleton St., Leicester, Leicestershire
John Fowkes, head, 49, labourer in wool factory
Susan, wife, 46
Susan, dau, 11
Annie, dau, 9
Florry, dau, 7
Ethel, dau, 3
All born Leicester.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Oct 2007 12:58

Where did she die, Gillian?
There's one died in 1972 in Manchester. Birthdate given is 30 March 1893.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Oct 2007 13:57

There's another one who died 4th. quarter 1971 in Leicester. Her birthdate is 12 Feb. 1892.
Marg

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Oct 2007 14:21

Just a thought, Gillian, do you have your mum's birth certificate? It would have her father's name on it. If we could find her parent's marriage certificate it would have Annie's father's name.
Marg

Gillian

Gillian Report 9 Oct 2007 14:31

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to look into 1971 deaths for Annie as this seems likely. I really want to know more about Annie, Her husband (my grandad) and her children (my aunts 7 uncles) so I am going to order my mums birth certificate. Due to postal strike, this could be a while.
Once again, your help is greatly appreciated.
Gill

Gillian

Gillian Report 9 Oct 2007 15:42

I cant find any record of Annies death in the 4th qtr of 1971 nor can I find her in the 1901 census. ( I have found her birth in 1892).
What am I doing wrong ? why / how are you finding the death and census results and I am not?? Help/advise please.
Thanks
Gill

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Oct 2007 18:13

Gillian,

Are you checking the complete death index and not just the partially transcribed one? The death is definitely there under Annie Mann in the last qtr. of 1971, Leicester 3a, 1366

Are you using Ancestry for your searches?

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Oct 2007 18:36

Gillian, go to the homepage on Ancestry.
Click on "England & Wales BMD Indexes" (It's in the right hand column under More Collections.
Next screen, click on Deaths in the first section which covers 1837-1983.
Next screen type in name, year and quarter.
She's there, honestly!
Marg

Gillian

Gillian Report 10 Oct 2007 10:43

I have thought overnight about my mums brother/stepbrother - my uncle Len.
His name would be Leonard and either Fowkes or Mann (probably Mann)? I believe that he was older than my mum who was born 13.07.22. and he definately lived in leicester all his life! Can anyone find him for me. Ps I am looking -honestly, but not having much sucess.Thanks. Gill

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Oct 2007 11:21

I haven't been able to find Leonard's birth yet, but was your mum Irene E Mann?

If so she was re-registered in the Dec. qtr. of 1934 for some reason.

Kath. x

Gillian

Gillian Report 10 Oct 2007 12:06

Yep
Irene Evelyn Mann - I spotted that entry - hand wriiten at the bottom of the page of entries.
Finding Leonard would be a great help as I dont know of anyone elses name in the family to look up. I know that hew was married at somepoint as he had a son/sons and given that all the family are in Leicester it is likely that this is where he got married. I also have a vague recollection of the village of Syston being involved - perhaps a brother or sister of my mums moved their at some point?

Gillian

Gillian Report 10 Oct 2007 15:34

I have spent all day, without stopping looking for Len - Leonard (?) I am not sure if he was Mann / Fowkes or ? His mum was Annie Mann nee Fowkes. I believe that he would have been born between 1910 - 1925 in Leicester. It is possible that his wife/partner was called Joan (?) and he had a son/sons.No idea when he died, but we last saw him in the mid 1980's. Can anyone find him please?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Oct 2007 16:26

The only death for a Leonard Mann in Leicestershire after 1984 is this one, but he's too young to be the one you are looking for:-

Name: Leonard Albert L Mann
Birth Date: 21 Mar 1949
Death Registration Month/Year: Apr 1986
Age at death (estimated): 37
Registration district: Leicestershire Central
Inferred County: Leicestershire
Volume: 6
Page: 1701

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Oct 2007 16:28

There are 6 deaths registered for Leonard Fowkes after 1984 but none of them in Leicestershire.

Kath. x

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Oct 2007 09:10

Hi
Thanks to everyone for helping!
I had this real brainwave last night and remembered the name Kilby. I know that this was Len's surname!!!!!
So I am now actually looking for a Len (Leonard)? Kilby ....not Fowkes or Mann (sorry).from Leicester. I have a feeling that his wife or partner may have been Joan and Feel sure he had a son/s pos John or David???
Can anyone help please????

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Oct 2007 12:11

Free BMD has a Leonard Kilby born Dec. quarter 1911, Leicester. Mother's name is Fowkes. (7a 411).
AND
Annie Fowkes married Herbert Frank Kilby Dec, quarter 1909, Leicester. (7a 587)
Margaret
Good brainwave you had!

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Oct 2007 12:26

Thanks Margaret - I have since found out even more....
Annie Kilby (nee Fowkes) married Herbert Kilby in Dec 1909 & ALSO married Walter J.Mann 2nd qtr 1927.
What happened to Herbert Kilby her 1st husband? - Anyone know please?
How many children did Annie & Herbert have & who were they & how many children did Annie & Walter have & who were they????
Was my mum (Irene Kilby born July 1922 -then re-registered in 1934 as Irene Mann) adopted by Walter Mann? Who is Walter Manns Family?
A mystery!!!!!?????

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Oct 2007 12:37

Have found this marriage for Leonard:-

Leonard Kilby to Joan M. Boyce
Dec. qtr. 1934, Leicester, 7a, 725 (or 723)

Kath. x