General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Vacuum Cleaners

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 5 May 2008 22:21

I have the chance of a 2nd hand kirby cleaner.

Now, I admit to not knowing much about household cleaning utensils, but my current dyson isnt really up to the job of getting up the dog hairs and bits of sheep wool.

I have hear that Kirbys are excellent and can also be used as a compressor. anyone got any experience?

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 5 May 2008 22:23

not really bothred about the cost too much, but are they readily available?

I suppose I should google, but horses mouth and all that you know.

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 5 May 2008 22:23

im sure i read that they are really good at getting those bedbugs out

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 5 May 2008 22:24

The women I work with rents hers I am sure, she shows her dogs alot and has her own kenels ...she says its the only thing she can use....

JustKaz

JustKaz Report 5 May 2008 22:26

we had a door to door salesman in the 70's try and sell one... parents didnt buy it though..
then in the 80's the same salesman knocked trying to sell double glazzing....lol
they didnt buy that either....
my ex's dad had one.... they loved it....
dont like dyson.... falls apart.. :((
how much is it?
kaz xxx

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 5 May 2008 22:27

So it sounds promising then.

The Dyson is good, but it doesnt really seem to have that ooomph to get the dog hairs out of those awkward spots.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 5 May 2008 22:28

the guy wants £50 for it, kaz. its siupposed to be a year old.

Havent done any negotiations yet though.

Wild Cat

Wild Cat Report 5 May 2008 22:29

Like the pillow-cases lol

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 5 May 2008 22:33

My mum swears by hers ahes had it since the early 80's, she's still able to get parts for it as well.

Hers washs as well, steams and i am sure its still as new,so must wear well. I think it cost her a couple of hundred pounds at the time as well, she had lots of extras.

Tina

Been caught out, oops normal only read hardly ever post, lol.

Jackie

Jackie Report 5 May 2008 22:34

I've got a Kirby, I don't really use it much.
I've not had problems getting belts for it, I also know someone who repairs them.
I use mine for shampooing but would prefer a Vax. I really can't be bothered changing it from vaccum to shampooer. Years ago was using it to vaccum sons grey bedroom carpet, the belt went and we ended up with permanent black rubber marks on the carpet. I don't partiually like how the bag is emptied either.
I really, really wanted the Kirby, but as you can probably tell, it's been a big disappointment.

Dee x

ps. If it's only £50 buy it, you can always sell it on ebay if you don't like it

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 5 May 2008 22:35

think you might be better off with a new one you may find that it will probably conk out after a few weeks ask them if you can give it a test run first

JustKaz

JustKaz Report 5 May 2008 22:35

new they can cost a packet, you'll have to check it over, get them to hoover your house to see how it works, make sure its in resonable nick...
kaz xx

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 5 May 2008 22:35

been lookin on their website - theres loads of models arent there.

But yes, washing, steaming, cleaning, they are very very versatile, thats for sure.

Loads of uses. I think I will take the plunge.

tory

tory Report 5 May 2008 22:38

well 50 pounds a good deal but give it a good try first

Wild Cat

Wild Cat Report 5 May 2008 22:40

Tory wise words

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 5 May 2008 22:41

Will you get it in your suit case Eldrick ?

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 5 May 2008 22:44

You'd be a fool to refuse it for £50.
I've had mine for about 8 years,and the suction is terrific.They are heavy but so well made,and you can use the turbo feature which makes it easy to push around.Have never liked cylinder models,but do keep one upstairs.There is a paint spray attachment to mine as well.Mine cost about £1400,so if it is in good condition you will get a bargain.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 5 May 2008 22:48

good point Jane. Not sure about its dimensions for getting in my suitcase.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 5 May 2008 22:57

Depending on the hall, it may have been cheaper to replace the carpet.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 5 May 2008 22:58

** Looks around for Jane ........absent mindedly slapping Claude **