General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

## Canucks International ##

Page 0 + 1 of 90

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 2 Sep 2008 18:48

Hi Everyone,

Well here we are with our brand new third Canadian thread. It's still full of all us Canucks and our friends from the UK and Oz. We are a friendly lot and we like to giggle. We love talking about gardening, and food, and wine, our holidays etc.etc. So if you never ever visited us before well maybe you'd like to now.

See you soon.
Lesxx

Lesley

Lesley Report 2 Sep 2008 18:51

Wow, twice in a day...must be a record. So my news is that finally after what seems like weeks of rain, I managed to cut the grass. It was so long that I had to go over it three times...now today I am all stuffed up.

Fred, I dug in my two barrels of "dead" potato plants and imagine! there were spuds in there, enough to make one good meal. How weird is that.

Mary, sorry that John hasn't been too good. Hope I didn't get him "over excited" when I chatted to him last week.....LOL!!

Say, a little bird told me that our Edith has been off galivanting!!

Later Lesxx

badger

badger Report 2 Sep 2008 18:56

Nice name Lesley,and just in time ,as Liz and i are off to Sandy Bay again tomorrow pm.
We were going to go up today after Liz had been to the dentist ,but the two teeth she was having trouble with were too far gone to save,her own fault for not going a lot sooner as i asked.
I shouldn't have laughed at her though because when she came out of the surgery she told me that she had made ME an appointement for next Thusday oooooer.Mummy,not fair lol.
Still,if we had gone up the caravan park this afternoon as planned ,i would have missed the new thread in it's birth thro'es.
I will have to shut down now ,the threatened thunderstorm has started ,and i don't want to cook the puter he he.
See ya later all .Fred.

Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Report 2 Sep 2008 23:32

Good one Les...A nice fresh start...

Fred Sorry to hear that Lizz had to go to the dentist.. I hate the dentist and think we should all have been born with false teeth..lol

Les You can ring any time.. If I am not there John will be happy to have a chat...lol..

Got my big elder brother arriving to stop for a few days today and my little brother is recovering slowly.. He rang me last night and is sleeping in the lazyboy at night as he cant layin the bed due to his back pain..Elder brother has not been well and he has a doc. appointment tomorrow.. Will take it from there when we see what the doc says.Been a busy time with family.. so havent been able to get on here much..

Hope all are well and has our Edith been on the rantan again...lol

See ya soon,,and everyone BOOKMARK THIS so that you dont have to search for it when you log on..in the little yellow box on the left side of this page..

Love MAry xxxxxxxx

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 3 Sep 2008 00:13

Hi Lesley,
Is this THE Velvet Paws? lol

The "Canuck" caught my attention!
What happened to Michaels thread?

Deb

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 3 Sep 2008 03:54

Thanks for the Email Les. I'm glad you have started a new thread although I hadn't been on the old one for a while. I hope everyone is well. Norman is not doing very well and we now have the Silver Chain Nurse in twice a week to see to a bed sore that he has through spending so much time in bed.I will pop in when I can. I hope this thread goes well and will attract a few newcomers.
Love to all, Sylvia in Perth WA. XX

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 3 Sep 2008 11:06

Champange corks popping to welcome in the new thread, thank you VP, some of us from the antipodes have been around you lot for at least 4 years, so many great friendships made which will last for a long time. So much room for others to become friends.Edith how goes things, the chairs and ironing board are just great. How goes the radio show -what tunes?

Hugs for you Sylvia - sounds like a tough time. mary hugs for you and John and your bros
Can smell the sea from here Badger - love to Liz
Veronica, Teresa Joan and others please pop in
Miss Frisky so pats go to Bella now
Love to all
JA

CMD

CMD Report 3 Sep 2008 11:11

Err
can I ask? what does Canuck stand for?
I ask because... I live in a place called Cannock Chase.....and thats how a lot of locals pronounce it...Canuck...
just asking?
cmd x

CMD

CMD Report 3 Sep 2008 11:16

A bigger eerrr
I have just sussed it..

Can....canada
uk...uk...

yes i really am that thick.....
had a stressful few months,,,thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!!
cmd xxxxxxxx

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 3 Sep 2008 11:22

Coal miners daughter you are welcome anytime to this thread - I am a coal miner's great grand daughter - my miners were Deanes from Barnsley
JA

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 3 Sep 2008 11:25

and the Canucks do not mind me lol - even though I live in the antipodes lol
JA

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 3 Sep 2008 11:30

Long time no see, Lesley - if you are Velvet Paws, that is!

Also hi to Michael in Dundas who once sent me a red and purple flower photo. :-)

I still haven't planned a trip to Vancouver yet and now I have to include Montreal as there is a dress in the McCord from a 1763 wedding of my OH's ancestors, cool eh?

x Jen

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 3 Sep 2008 12:27

welocme Jen and Christine. keep posting and yes our Les is VP!
JA

JenRedPurple

JenRedPurple Report 3 Sep 2008 12:47

:-)

Thanks for the welcome, JA.

I helped VP find someone a few years ago and she was going to buy me lunch when/if I came over!

x Jen

JALimestonePlains

JALimestonePlains Report 3 Sep 2008 13:09

Jen sure that there is a rain check for that lunch
I am off to bed as late here - spring on the way so some sun, no doubt soon we will be complaining of heat -but send your rain please
~~~~~~all and Edith too
JA

Lesley

Lesley Report 3 Sep 2008 18:03

Hi Y'all,

Well what a great start. Old friends and some new ones.
Jen R and P..yes I still owe you a good lunch when you get here, you can even come for a visit. My Rhodesia family are settled in the S.W. USA and I have even met up with them...another big thanks.

Deb in Van...say, you need to be on here more often girl..you always have lots of good things to say.

cmd and Christine...welcome. Dunno about the horseshoes in Ontario. I am on Vancouver Island and Edith is in the middle of nowhere in Northern ON.

Good to see you Sylvia. Sorry to hear about Norman. Hope you are still managing to find a little time for yourself.

And hugs to all the regulars.
Today Norm is going to finish tiling the sunroom floor. I am keeping well away!!! Might sew altho it is a lovely Fall day I should probably just laze in the garden!!!

Took Bella for her walk this am. and walked thru the fair grounds. The Fall fair opens this weekend and the rides are just setting up. Wow!! what a lot of junk. Funny how it always looks spectacular when all set up with the music and the lites. Anyway I won't be going on them....scardy cat!!!
Have a great day.
Lesxx

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 3 Sep 2008 18:26

Hi Everyone!

Great name for the new thread Les, thanks for emailing me the title.

I have a few days off work right now as we start to slow down in the perennial department. Next week we start preparing the Christmas shop! Seems way too soon. Anyway, I am taking the time to sort out my garden before the first frost comes.

Angie and Stephanie are back from Vietnam and by all accounts seem to have really enjoyed themselves. Stephanie has gone back to Saskatoon to start her second year of Law studies. Angie has a job interview today so keep your fingers crossed for her.

The weather seems to be turning cool already so I am not sure if we will have an Indian summer this year, hopefully we can hold off winter for a while yet.

Bob and I took a drive into the mountains this past weekend and very nearly came face to face with a grizzly. We had taken a short hike to see if the larch trees had started to turn colour when we turned around to look back at the parking lot. There, two cars away from ours was a bear sniffing around. We stood stock still and watched as it ambled its way across the parking lot and off into the woods on the other side. Then we made lots of noise as we went back to our car, luckily didn't see it again.

That's my news in a nutshell!

Mary, I hope John is feeling better now.

Sylvia its good to see you here. Make sure you take some time for yourself each day. It must be such a worry for you with Norman being so poorly.

Fred, I hope Liz feels ok now after her dentist visit.

Love to everyone else.

Teresa

Teresa In Canada

Teresa In Canada Report 3 Sep 2008 19:00

Hi Christine,

Yes moose can do a lot of damage to vehicles. If you hit one with your car though you will usually come out the worst for it. Every once in a while someone is killed when hitting one of them. Here in Calgary, we have a very big urban park that is just down the road from me. There are two black bears living there who occasionaly wander into the city. Two years ago we were stopped from leaving the local safeway store as there was a bear in the parking lot! We have also had them wander through the garden center that I work at as it edges the same park. When that happened, the wildlife officers were out in full force looking for it and found it wandering down the road just a short distance from a school. The bear was tranquilized and moved back to the mountains.

Teresa

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 3 Sep 2008 23:14

Hello everyone!

Les, thanks for the PM.

I can vouch that deer are not a nice thing to hit, especially when traveling at 100k on the Trans Canada (Hwy 1). We hit one a few years back on our way to Shuswap Lake, just outside of Chase.

It was about 1am, and a pair of deer decided to jump out onto the road. Instead of turning back when it saw our van, one decided to try to out run the van, and we ended up hitting it in head on (or tail on in this case).

We did a 180 on the hwy and ended facing the direction we came from.
Someone was watching us that night, as we were a foot away from an embankment that had a railway line below. A train came along the line a few mins. after.
Needless to say, the van was out of commision with a broken radiator. People stopped to help and drove us into Chase.
If anyone knows Chase, it was a one horse town a few years ago. We went to the local RCMP to report it. We decided to call a taxi to take us to the cabin a few miles down the road in Sorrento.. No such luck! The taxi service ended at midnight, and the friend we were going to didn't have a phone. This was before cel phones.

To cut a long story short, the RCMP officers that were on duty that night, got a little fed up with the noisy chatter that was coming out of us city folk, and drove us to the lake.

I'm sure that it didn't help that I was convinced that I had seen one of the men on the " Canada's 10 most wanted" posters in a pub a few days before :))

So, that was my one and only ride in the back of a police car :))

The RCMP officer was no fun. I wanted to surprise our friends but he wouldn't turn on his light and siren when we arrived at the lake. :)))

I'll save my bear stories for anther time.

The deer died by the way ;(
Deb

Lesley

Lesley Report 3 Sep 2008 23:46

Hey Christine, visit often, this is a nice thread. Tell us a bit about you.

Hi Deb, it is good to see you on here. We were in Jasper with my Mom several years ago and stopped to look at the mountain sheep. One stuck its head in the window and tried to eat my Mom's hair....what a palava!!! We get black bears in our back alley. Only been thru a couple of times this year as we all keep our garbage cans inside until garbage day so no goodies for them.

Teresa we are going to be in Calgary in a couple of weeks time I think. PM your phone number again and maybe we can meet up and have coffee.

Another two today, you'd think I had nothing better to do!!!
Lesxx