General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 0 + 1 of 2853

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillx

Gillx Report 10 Dec 2017 21:22

It's stopped snowing here Mel and is starting to melt so no doubt it'll all be gone by the morning. I'm a bit concerned with next door having his roof done and dreading it when they take the ridge tiles off on the pitch roof both our kitchen are under incase it snows again or rains, the last thing we want is water getting into the loft and our boiler is in that room. We're also concerned that he might have different tiles put on instead of the slate ones we both have now and where the two roofs meet the rain might get in there and start coming down our walls. All we can do is hope nothing goes wrong and no water pours down our interior walls.

It sounds like you're getting on well with your wreaths Mel, how many are you making? You did well finding more things for them today. Looks like you timed it right putting the girls in and made it back before the hail got you.

Congratulations on the birth of the new baby girl Anne, bless the little boy and his comment about the lack of willie <3 Good news there's improvement after the stroke, I'm sure she'll improve further with time.

Just watching "The Secret Life of the Zoo" with Sandra and OH. I didn't realise it was on so missed the first one, but recorded the rest of them which we've finally got around to watching. It was filmed in Chester Zoo, the one we took Sandra to for her birthday a couple of years ago. She's enjoying seeing all the parts of the Zoo she's walked around and of course all the animals.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Dec 2017 19:06

Its just not fair.............................you all have snow and we DON'T. In fact it has been quite sunny and then we had a hialish sower which turned to rain and its been raining ever since.

I am glad James got back ok even though it took a long time. Its good to know he is back now. Naughty boys leaving the door open, trust men.

I got on well today and this afternoon I went to get more moss and popped down the forest as it had been very windy, in the hope some branches had come down and there was a lovely big one just where I could park so I chopped all the bits off I needed. On the way down I have to go through a big dip in the road outside the big house and they had a car parked on the wrong side of the road and two warning bollards on the other side with a gap to get through if you were in a tractor or off road vehicle. I took one look and went through the big house grounds so I did'nt have to go through the dip. Got more holly with berries on the way back and then got the moss.

Finished andother one today so that is three finished and I have three more started. Brought some stuff in to wire tonight and the ribbons to make some bows.

When I shut the chickens in the sky had turned really black and oh said wait till it passes over but I could'nt be bothered as I wanted to get in and make a drink. I shot off round there and they girls were still out but there was one out of the run again. She followed me in and I managed to heard them all into the house and shut them in just as it started to hail.

Anne

Anne Report 10 Dec 2017 17:55

Well I was surprised to see snow here this morning when I woke up and it has snowed on and off all day but not laying on the road out side.

Loved the video of Thomas in the snow Jane our two have stayed indoors until natured called, Richard has updated my laptop so I could open the video of the Hasting's walk was it taken on the East or West Hill?

Sorry to hear your OH has a dodgy Tummy Ann, better now then that at Christmas.

One of my nephew's wife has just had a baby girl with his 2nd wife they already have a little two year boy when he was watching his Mummy give her a bath he was very concerned that she hadn't got a willy, bless him, Mathew still has two teenage daughters from his 1st marriage Jean his Mum rang to tell me, also her sister that had the stroke has done so much better than expected, she is now home but still has trouble walking and her speech is a bit slurred but good news.

Have to go now as Toby is wanting to get on my lap.

Frank

Frank Report 10 Dec 2017 17:34

Evening to you all,

Just finished dinner. I prepared , cooked it, and did a fair bit f washing up, saucepans and some dishes washed and dried and put away. Ros is doing the rest then we will sit and relax for the evening.

I just started eating my dinner when he phone rang. It was "BIGGLES" owner. Thanking us for having him for the two weeks. She started talking about how wonderful their holiday was. I cut her off by saying I am just starting my dinner. She said she paid Sarah the walker to look after him, as she knew she was short of money, and thought she was doing her a good turn.

We had a phone call from Jonathan, to see if we were o.k. and did we need anything. Very thoughtful of him.

We had more snow this afternoon. What it is doing now, I don't know. and to be honest I don't care.

Jan just rang to say she was home, and it's quite warm down in Paignton. She sent a message earlier to say they were having Breakfast on the beach, before setting off to the Airport. It was 18 degrees and sunny. I won't say what I thought !!!

Enjoy Strictly and the Jungle. See you in the morning. xxx

Jane

Jane Report 10 Dec 2017 17:05

They would make a good pair Gill :-D :-D.... Now it is Chris leaving a door open :-S :-S
James is going to have a bath before we eat. I have warned him that he can't have a deep bath as the water will run cold .I was going to have a shower this morning but the ensuite was so blooming cold I decided just to have a quick wash That was bad enough LOL. The toothpaste almost seemed frozen and took a bit of squeezing :-S

If I had got a video of Thomas doing whacky races in the snow it would have been so funny .He was leaping like a rabbit !! as he couldn't actually 'walk' :-D

Gillx

Gillx Report 10 Dec 2017 16:14

Oh I see James made it home okay Jane, that's good, but leaving the door open.....naughty boy ;-) ;-)

It sounds like Sandra might have some competition with Thomas as far as being excited with the snow, pity you didn't make it to your phone in time to take another video.

Jane

Jane Report 10 Dec 2017 16:10

Ann our OH's could be twins with their HATS :-D
I hope his tummy settles soon. How long do his flare ups last? Is it IBS?

Thomas has been a real Crazy Cat in the snow.Zig Zagging all around the lawn at a rate of knots LOL. That is when I really needed to get a video ,but he had finished by the time I came in for my phone :-S Now conked out again.
James is home :-). He said he saw so many accidents and breakdowns on the way.At least he is home safe and sound now :-D I can relax.
My battery lights are like yours Ann .On for 6 hours and off for 18. It is just getting the timing right so they come on and go off at the same time.I realy need to go and buy batteries tomorrow .
I am not sure who I want to win Strictly ,but I would love Toff to win the Jungle. I think it is the final of that tonight.
Someone has left a door open :-S :-S .....James :-S.I can feel a cold blast around my legs.

Gillx

Gillx Report 10 Dec 2017 16:09

It's going to take James a while to get home Jane if he's only moving at 5 miles an hour, hope he makes it home okay.

Thanks for letting me know how to change my password if I need to Ann. How is your OH hope his tum is okay, good idea to have something light to eat until he feels up to something heavier.

The snow did come down a bit heavier but still not enough to stick, the ground is so wet we would need a blizzard to cover our garden. Sandra is enjoying her films though so that's good. Looking forward to Strictly tonight too, like you said it could be anyone, they are all very good.

Annx

Annx Report 10 Dec 2017 15:46

Afternoon All,

Lots of snow here, but it's just fine stuff coming down now. As Jane says Sandra would have had a field day here with building snowmen!

I hope your cousin gets her PC sorted Mel. It's annoying when you can't send things. You have made a good start on your wreaths. I have been wrestling to put those lights on my artificial one this afternoon. If I understand the instructions, the first time you put the lights on, they stay on for 6 hours and then they go off for 18 hours so I need to make sure I switch them on at the right time.

We didn't go out for lunch today as OH gets flareups with his tummy at times and last night and today he's had pains and not wanted that much to eat. He did walk to the newsagent's to get my paper though as I thought that might help. So...it was look in the fridge for some 'IFFITS' for me for lunch! I found lamb shanks so had one of those with some cabbage, carrots and courgettes. There were potatoes, but I don't like to have those very often and the swede that looked good turned out to be going off in the middle although the outside was fine! :-S OH just had soup and has found footie to watch.

Our OH's would look good with their matching hats Jane! lol. :-D Thomas does a quick scoot across the snow to the hedge bottom doesn't he. He has a good coat on him to keep the cold out though. I bet you can't wait for BG to come tomorrow and sort your heating out now. Did they give you a time?

I love those British Blue cats Frank. They are quite chunky cats and have lovely eyes. I hope the Ragdoll takes to it but they are very laid back so will be accepting if a bit overwhelmed by a kitten's exuberance! I bet it will love the Christmas Tree!! Ros's Choir Concert must be popular to have sold out. Does she do any solo spots? My friend whose house we do beading at belongs to a choir. That was good of your neighbour to see if she could get anything for you.

Gill, if GR ever do ask you to change your password, the screen will tell you what to do and bring screens up for you to enter a new one. So Sandra is keeping an eye on the snow and willing there to be big flakes! It's a good idea to distract her with a film. Thanks for the reminder about Victoria as I shall want to record it.

I wonder who will be leaving Strictly tonight? I want Debbie and Joe to be in the final, but the public vote could make it anyone. In the professionals I do like Giovanni and Katya is so full of life!

Jane

Jane Report 10 Dec 2017 14:16

Oh Gill,I really thought you were going to get a lot of 'proper' snow today. Sandra could have had a Hay Day here . She could have cleared our drive and made a row of snowmen :-D
Chris has just been clearing all the snow off his car and running the engine as James will be taking that car to work tomorrow.Its a 4 wheel drive so easier and safer . James is on his way back.I spoke to him about an hour ago and he was doing 5mph on the M25 !!!!.....It is snowing again.
Thomas back once again with lots of leaves stuck on his tail !.He has just washed them off and left them all over the carpet :-S Mucky thing.

Hat pic sent :-D

Gillx

Gillx Report 10 Dec 2017 13:41

Sandra is a bit disappointed with our snow, although it's been snowing all day it's so fine it's melting when it hits the patio, she keeps asking me if we're going to get thicker snow, but of course I can't say either way can I? So I've decided to put some Christmas films on for her to keep her mind off it. All she wanted to do was make one big snowman. I hope the snow gets thicker soon.

Love the video of Thomas Jane, it looks like he was really enjoying himself. Pleased to hear you are keeping warm.

That was nice of Tracey to call round to see if you needed anything Frank. It sounds like you had a good day yesterday and West Ham winning too, can't be bad. ;-) ;-)

Had some lovely pics off Liz, Sandra said she could make a massive snowman with all the snow there was in the field by her and wanted to go there to make one LOL :-D

What a pity your cousin's computer is playing up Mel, hopefully it'll be sorted soon and everything will go back to normal and you'll be able to see the pictures. It sounds like the birds are enjoying the food you've put out for them. You're getting on well with your rings aren't you? I'd love to see a pic when you've finished them.

Well, Sandra is waiting to watch the first film so I'd better go, see you all later.

Oh, nearly forgot.... Victoria is on Christmas Day ITV at 9pm for those who want to watch it. I thought I'd let you all know, before I forgot again. :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 10 Dec 2017 13:04

Thomas has gone again !!.He is obviously enjoying this snow.Its turned all sleety now.
That was good of Tracy to call and see if you needed anything Frank. Good neighbour :-D

I have had the oven on with the door open but have turned it off now as it was too warm LOL .I will turn it back on again in a while.

Merlin looked very handsome in the snow.Liz says he has no need for a Horse Coat as his own is really thick now.
It doesnt look like the snow is getting as far as you then Mandy.I bet the children were all hoping it would. My friend in Saltash (cornwall ) says she has had sunshine all morning ! I bet Anne has snow. I wonder what Ruby will make of it? :-D

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Dec 2017 12:23

Dear Thomas. That was a good little video Jnae thanks for the pics.

Liz sent some too of Merlin in the snow. It seems everybody has it except Mandy and I.
O but we hav'nt heard from Ann.

Frank

Frank Report 10 Dec 2017 12:17

A very good morning to one and all, Evening Kim,

Just had a horrible shock. The smoke alarm just went off. I checked the kitchen bu nothing is on.

We have had a GOOD SIX INCHES of SNOW. and it's snowing very lightly still.

I didn't get back on yesterday. After I lost my post I had a call from Roger (Sue's husband ) who has cancer. He wanted to pop over and see us (me) Ros was out. We sat putting the world to right. Then he dropped me off at he pub. Wes Ham beat Chelsea. 1-0.

Roa picked me up after the match, we had lunch, and I snoozed and read the afternoon away. Ros went to her Choir Concert last night. From what she said it was a great success. Not a seat to be had in the place.

No signal on SKY. I expect the dish is full of snow. So thats no great loss to me. !!!
It might be tonight when Strictly comes on.

Harvey and Julia called last night on their way to see some friends. He has bought another kitten. A "short haired English Blue" from the photo's he had on his phone, she/he is beautiful.

Roast Beef tonight, not sure what time we will eat. But that's what Sunday is all about. LOL LOL

I bet Sandra is well pleased if she has snow like us.

Tracy, Pams daughter next door, came round to see if we wanted anything like bread, milk etc. She said she thought she had better check up on the old people. Cheeky little "B". But very sweet of her Bless. !!!

I hope you are able to keep yourself warm Jane. Why don't you put the oven on in the kitchen. That will help keep downstairs warm.

As for the rest of you. NO SNOW BALLING, and making slides on the roads. LOL LOL.

Stay warm all. xx

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Dec 2017 12:16

Have you heard from Frank then Jane?

I have had a feeding frenzy outside the kitchen window. A whole flock of long tailed tits, blue tits and marsh tits. I did get a couple of pics but hav'nt downloaded them yet.

Jane

Jane Report 10 Dec 2017 12:08

Cats back.I think he has been enjoying this snow. He went out again a minute ago and did that bottom wiggle that cats do before they take off like the wind LOL.He shot across the patio and then back again. Now warming himself up. I found one of his old beds and have put it in the front porch where there is a wall heater.I found him lying under it this morning so thought the bed there would be a good idea.We are keeping that door open so some heat can come through to the hall.

The roads sounds bad round about here .Chris has Northampton Radio on in the kitchen and Cambridge Radio on his laptop in the study !!!! Keeping James up to date with road situations. I still would prefer he didnt try and drive back from Kent.But he said he will leave it a while and then decide.The snow has eased off now an it is looking more wet. My good intention of getting out there to make a Snowman has not happened.My hip is too sore to be bending down rolling massive snowballs . That is my excuse :-D(but it is true) Frank says he has about 6 inches ;-)

Jane

Jane Report 10 Dec 2017 11:34

Have just sent a video of Thomas :-D.. He has been out now for ages.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Dec 2017 10:42

Jane at least share a picture of your snow please????????????

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Dec 2017 10:41

Morning all,

No snow here either it just rained all night with a lashing wind which is still going strong. Its really miserable and dark here.

My cousin is trying to send me some pictures but I am not getting them so her daughter is going to take her pc away with her and clean it up so she will be without it for a few days.

I have finished two rings and am on my third now so still a long way to go. When I had mum she would do all the cooking etc when I was doing the wreaths so I could get on. When you have to keep stopping and starting and then it starts to get dark you don't get so much done.

I have my card bobbles up and its filling up with cards.

Gillx

Gillx Report 10 Dec 2017 09:31

Didn't have any problems posting my last post and also no problems signing in either. Hope it stays that way as I don't know what to do if I have to reset my password. Strange that it's only happening to some of us and not others :-S :-S