General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 0 + 1 of 3097

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillx

Gillx Report 16 Dec 2018 00:47

<3 <3 <3 HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNE <3 <3 <3

------------------------- ?
-------------------------- ¦
--------------@@@@@@@@@
--------------{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
--------------{~*~*~*HAPPY*~*~*}
----------@@@@@@@@@@@
----------{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
----------{~*~*~*~BIRTHDAY~*~*~*}
------@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
------{*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*}
------{~*~*~*~*~**~*ANNE~*~*~*~*~*}
-----@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hope you have a lovely birthday.

Off to bed now, see you all tomorrow
Night Night

Gillx

Gillx Report 15 Dec 2018 23:38

Thanks for putting the link up for Chester Zoo Mel, I've just put the news on to see if all the animals were okay, Sandra hopes they are all okay too. It sounds like you've had the same weather as us today.

Sorry Ann I misunderstood, I thought it was a kitten. I hope you manage to get a photo as I know Sandra would love to see it and so would I. Your OH's not daft is he putting on thermals to keep warm when he went out. The shop sounds just my type of thing, what a good idea to send out samples so people can see what they have on offer. I've never heard of renting out Christmas trees before, but it does sound like a good idea, far to many trees are killed and they do so much for the environment don't they?

Yes, I'm looking forward to hearing all about the wedding when Jane gets back. The wind here has been really bad, I hope it wasn't to bad in London.

I've just seen Chester Zoo on the news, I wouldn't be surprised if the birds flew out of the roof as there's a big hole where the fire was. We've been in there and there are some lovely colourful birds along with other animals and some lovely tropical plants. It's very warm in there so if the birds have flown out I doubt they'll survive in the cold. Hopefully no birds or animals were harmed. They said they're opening most of the zoo tomorrow. I feel for the people who have bought tickets for the lantern event tonight as it's now been cancelled. They are being refunded, but it's only on for another week so they might not get any more tickets now.

Long lost family Christmas Reunion is on next Monday at 9pm on ITV for anyone who's interested, I've put it on our planner as OH and I like programmes like that.

We didn't get any snow today, just a bit of normal rain, not freezing rain as forecast. The wind was very strong though and blow one of my smaller Red Robins over, it's on a slant and leaning on a rock so we decided to leave it that way until tomorrow incase it fell over again. It's not touching any of the other plants so will be okay until the morning.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 21:28

I can't wait to see the photos of the wedding. I hope they did'nt have the same weather as we had today. The wind nearly blew me over when I went to the big girls this afternoon and that was on the way back. I had to fight against it on the way to the girls and gave them their corn in the shelter out of the wind.

Annx

Annx Report 15 Dec 2018 19:37

That's just what I thought as well Mandy......whatever next! I don't know if they replant them. It would mean a lot of watering through the summer if they don't though. :-S There are at least 3 farms round here where you can see them growing in the fields. Even that seems a new thing, at least around here.

OH was showing me his thermals under his shirt when he got back! LOL. At least he is sensible and wraps up well in the cold these days. I think he feels it more. The wind has dropped now and it seems a bit warmer. I posted off the last of my Christmas cards this afternoon and also had a sort out in the freezer and one of the food cupboards. Stuff seems to go out of date so quickly but I hate throwing it out!!

I bet Jane and Chris have had a great day but will be tired when they get back tomorrow. She will have lots to tell us I'm sure! :-)

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 15 Dec 2018 16:22

Well i never ,Christmas tree renting LOL what will they think of next ,are they in pots or replanted in the ground and dug up each year Ann.

OH is brave Ann going out in this weather i hope he has his thermals on :-D
What a good idea using those big containers for a shop ,i should think you could get loads of stuff in there .

Oh this wind it's bitter ,i hope Frank wrapped up well if he went out .

Shepherds pie with lots of veg for us tonight nice and warming .

Annx

Annx Report 15 Dec 2018 16:08

Afternoon All,

Thanks for your pretty and unusual card Mandy.

Congratulations to Hannah and Gareth, the newlyweds! Very cold here and quite windy with sleet now. I hope the weather in London was better for the wedding photos. I expect Jane has ditched her tights by now, but I think I would be swapping them for some thick thermal ones! I expect Chris is feeling better now having most likely done his speech and everyone will be feeling more relaxed. I think Jane said they were going to India for their honeymoon where Hannah and her friends went a while ago. She will have to get used to signing with her new surname now and get a new driving licence! :-)

That will be nice to have Biggles for company tonight Frank. OH has gone to a match just a few miles away with his 76 year old pal!! I told him sooner him than me in this cold, but he had been thinking of going to a match in Birmingham till he saw the weather forecast! I just fetched the papers and went to a little craft shop that has opened at the back of the village. They are using two of those containers you see on lorries and ships and have converted them into a little shop, crammed with all kinds of haberdashery you don't see much now. The girl running it seems very go ahead and said to compete with the internet they send out fabric, wool or bead samples etc so people can see the true colours and feel fabric textures before ordering.

Anne it must be good to know Abbie's situation is so different now. Her dad's flat sounds very nice and ideal for them. I think Ruby has the right idea about the cold weather! :-)

Gill, it is a little cat but she is 4 years old so not a kitten. I will still try and get a photo though, once she is brave enough to come close enough!

One of the several farms near here that grows Christmas trees, rents them now if you want and you take them back after Christmas! You can even reserve the same tree for the next year if you want and some customers have had the same tree for 4 years. I thought it was a great idea instead of having to destroy and dispose of so many.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 15:23

Thanks for the card Mandy and Frank for sending it to us all. Thank you.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 15:15

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/15/large-fire-breaks-out-at-chester-zoo

Gillx

Gillx Report 15 Dec 2018 14:43

.............@@@@
.............@@@@
.................???
.................???
.................???
.................oooo
..............o.o.o.oo
..........o... POPP...o
..…....…oooooooo
........o...oo¦¦¦oo
.......o........¦¦¦ooo
..........o.....¦¦¦.oo
.......o........¦¦¦oooo
..........o.....¦¦¦oooo
...o...........¦¦¦¦
.......o.....@@@@.oooo
....o.......@@@@@ooo
.o........@@@@@@
.........@@@@@@@.....o
o......@@@@@@@@.......o
........@@.............@@...XXXXXXXXX
........@@.............@@....XXXXXXXX
........@@.............@@.….XXXXXX
........@@.............@@.......XXXXX
........@@..............@@.........XXX
........@@..............@@..........XX
........@@@@@@@@..........XX
........@@@@@@@@...........X
........@@@@@@@@.......XXXXX.

Congratulations to the new MR AND MRS OWEN here's to many years of happy married life together <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Thanks Mandy for forwarding the e-card. Thank you Frank, it's lovely.
Thank you as well Mandy for the Christmas card it arrived this morning, Sandra loves the one you sent her with the squirrel on .

I hope you don't mind me copying your champagne bottle and glass idea Mandy, I thought it was so clever, but couldn't work out how to do something similar myself.

It sounds like you're having a lovely cuddle with Ruby Anne in a cosy house. It started raining here and the wind is even stronger than it was this morning, so we're all staying in doors today where it's warm. I hope the weather wasn't to bad for the wedding.

I can't believe some men, not only have the builders turned up next door there is someone doing something to the neighbours shed roof at the bottom of the garden as well. Why they don't wait until tomorrow when the weather is going to be less windy is anyone's guess.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 14:37

Fire at Chester Zoo is under control.

Anne

Anne Report 15 Dec 2018 13:57

Cold and wet here too, I hope it's better in London for the wedding.

Congratulations to Hannah and Gareth <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
I hope Chris makes his speech without the nerves kicking in but people will understand if they do, looking forward to seeing the photos

Thanks for forwarding on Frank's e-card Mandy and also thank you to Frank.

Richard has gone into town to do more shopping so I am having a cuddle with Ruby on the settee, she hates the cold weather The house is nice and warm thank goodness

Thank you for the cards Ann I haven't opened the birthday one yet. I have 3 Ann's that send me cards the other two I have worked with, one of them had the same maiden name as me, she has now moved to Tonbridge not too far from where my parents lived in Southborough when Dad had his business in Tunbridge Wells before moving back down to Hastings when he retired.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 12:33

Its pouring here.

Frank

Frank Report 15 Dec 2018 12:18

MIDDAY so it's all kicking off for the Dr Rose's. Hope everything is going to plan. xxx Has Jane mentioned where they are going on honeymoon. Somewhere warmer than here I hope. !!!!

Mel, the weather here is COILD, COLD, COLD. that wind is enough to cut you in half. I'm glad I am not a IRON MONKEY lol lol. Oh thanks, the rain has just arrived on the wind. I think that's put paid to me walking down the pub for the football.

Just emptied the kitchen bin, and find we ar out of Bin Liners. I have rung Madam and her phone is on the coffee table, a lot of good there :-| :-| :-| So had to ring Martine.

Have thrown away the remains of yesterday's nibbles, I don't like to waste food, but there is a limit how long you can keep these things.

Martine has rung to say Ros has gone to Morrison's to fill the car with petrol as there is a 10 p a litre off, then she will be home, SO I might get her to run me down the pub. I will only mill a few minutes of the match. They always go shopping in Martine's car, hence her going to fill the car up. Didn't want you confused lol lolo.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 12:18

O wow thats great Mandy. I shall have to put that up too.

.............@@@@
.............@@@@
.................///\\\
................////\\\\
...............////.\\\\\
.................oooo
..............o.o.o.oo
..........o... POPP...o
..…....…oooooooo
........o...oo¦¦¦oo
.......o........¦¦¦ooo
..........o.....¦¦¦.oo
.......o........¦¦¦oooo
..........o.....¦¦¦oooo
...o...........¦¦¦¦
.......o.....@@@@.oooo
....o.......@@@@@ooo
.o........@@@@@@
.........@@@@@@@.....o
o......@@@@@@@@.......o

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 12:15

Well thats it there's no going back now.

CONGRATULATIONS MR AND MRS OWEN

May you have a long and happy life together forever.XXXXXXXXXXX

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 15 Dec 2018 12:08

.............@@@@
.............@@@@
.................???
.................???
.................???
.................oooo
..............o.o.o.oo
..........o... POPP...o
..…....…oooooooo
........o...oo¦¦¦oo
.......o........¦¦¦ooo
..........o.....¦¦¦.oo
.......o........¦¦¦oooo
..........o.....¦¦¦oooo
...o...........¦¦¦¦
.......o.....@@@@.oooo
....o.......@@@@@ooo
.o........@@@@@@
.........@@@@@@@.....o
o......@@@@@@@@.......o

Morning all ,

Bubbly all ready and got my hat on :-D
I expect the service is now underway i hope they all enjoy the day <3

Bright morning here nice sunshine but my oh my that wind bites right into you

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 11:11

Thats lovely you will have Biggles tonight Frank. I know you always enjoy having him for company.

Now the times dragging and I can't wait to wish them well.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Dec 2018 11:03

-------------------------- ¦
--------------@@@@@@@@@
--------------{~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*}
----------@@@@@@@@@@@
----------{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*}
------@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
------{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*}
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Whooh not lng now just 58 mins to go.

Morning all,

I do hope the weather's better in London than it is here. We have rain rain and more rain and its so dull and dreay the light are all on in the house.

Frank

Frank Report 15 Dec 2018 10:56

Good morning All,

First let me APOLOGISE to all who haven't received my ECARD. Mandy would you do me the BIGGEST FAVOUR and send it to:- Jane, Gill, Anne and Mel. I must get my Email contacts list altered and up to date ;-) ;-) ;-) What am I like. ??

Nice to hear from you Will and pleased you are getting help with the housework and garden. I have a nice chap, who I can call on for garden help. He comes when asked and does the lawns and edges, bits of weeding and hedge trimming. Ros is not able to do her garden yet, after her HEART ATTACH. Pleased to hear Carmel is able to get out on occasions. Give her my love. xx

Well yesterday lunchtime went well, they stayed chatting until 1.30. Ros didn't want to eat last night. So I had Smoked Salmon on toast, and a few nibbles over from Lunchtime.

Tonight is the first Concert for the Choir. As we are not sure what time it will finish, I have suggested to Ros. to pop into a Chinese or Fish and Chip bar and bring something home with her. What a palaver ?? I can see us STARVING to death shortly. I will do a nice Roast Beef tomorrow, so that should make up for it.

Not long now for Gareth and Hannah, I do hope everything goes off without a hitch. I guess Jane will look the perfect Mother, all dressed up in her finery and her fascinator I hope Chris makes it through his speech.

Horrible cold morning here, Ros went off at 10.00 am and had to come back, she had forgotten her purse. THAT WOULD NEVER DO, WOULD IT. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Off for my shower and shave,when th phone rang. Can I have "BIGGLES" TONIGHT as both his Mum and Dad are in the choir with Ros. It will save him being on his own, and a bit of company for me. Ahhh.

Gillx

Gillx Report 15 Dec 2018 09:26

Morning all

Very windy here at the moment and really cold, we're suppose to be getting snow and freezing rain later.

Well, THE BIG DAY IS HERE I'll be thinking of Hannah and Gareth at 12pm and hope the weather isn't to bad for them so they have some nice photo's. Good luck to Chris with his speech, I bet he'll be glad when that bits over Jane.

I hope you didn't get any blood on the rings you did yesterday Mel, maybe if you did it'll wipe off with a damp cloth. Only 10 days to Christmas so maybe putting up a few decorations is a good idea while the weather is bad, it'll be better than sitting in a cold shed all day.

It sounds like Abbie is happier now Mandy living with her dad, the flat sounds really nice. So all your Christmas presents are now wrapped up. I finished mine the other day, I didn't realise how many presents I'd bought for Sandra, I think I went a bit mad this year, but can't wait to see her face on Christmas Day.

I still haven't got the e-card Frank :-(

So the little kitten is settling in well Ann, I love cats and so does Sandra. She asked me to ask you if it's possible to take a picture so she can see the kitten.

Well, so much for the builders not coming back until after Christmas, they turned up at 8.30am and starting drilling some of the render off the wall up against the new extension, so I expect that disturbed Sandra a bit, it's gone quieter now so she's asleep at the moment, but for how long who knows. It's very windy and there's a workman walking along the scaffolding they must have on the inside of the exterior walls. He's braver than me, he could get blown off, not a job I'd fancy this time of year. We're hoping the skip is emptied today as it's far to full and we don't want the rubbish blowing all over the place.