General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lively London Chatter

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Oct 2012 15:50

For Londoners & Lovers of London :-D

There was a thread I put on for Londoners a while back, but it's gone, no idea why, but there was some great chat on there about London, how it was, how it is now, and what's going on.

I thought it'd be good to bring it back, so what's your story of having lived, living, working, or just loving the place?

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 1 Oct 2012 18:18

Hi Lynda,

I have worked, lived and married a Londoner. No stories I´m ready to tell as yet but I wanted to keep your thread alive.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 1 Oct 2012 20:09

Yep, born and bred in London. Come from Barnsbury, it was working class then, not a haven for Yummy Mummies then.

Married a Londoner, and have both worked in London.

Still love going up the West End for shopping, the theatres and the sightseeing.

Still so much to see.

Thats all I wanna say at this time.

But London is my home.
:-)

George

George Report 1 Oct 2012 20:44

You don't hear much lively London chatter now days, all foreign voices.

I am from Maida Vale, all Arabic there now.

George

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Oct 2012 21:04

Thanks for keeping the thread alive Uzzi :-D

I also come from Barnsbury Motown girl, how funny is that, when I lived there, there was all sorts of people in the Street where Iived, Michael Crawford lived across the Road, not that I ever saw him :-D

You'll hear loads of London chatter on here I hope George :-D

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 1 Oct 2012 21:07

Would love to join a London thread but at the mo am listening to my team QPR being thrashed by West Ham :-(

May catch up later If I haven't smashed the comp !!

George......we must be neighbours :-)

George

George Report 1 Oct 2012 21:15

Hi LollyWithSprinklez,

I don't live in London now, thank god, but lived in Hamilton Terrace, many moons ago. sad that London has now become like it has.

George

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Oct 2012 21:25

QPR aren't doing so well are they Lolly :-(

London has changed George, but I think it's as wonderful as it was, it's different, but still wonderful :-D

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 1 Oct 2012 21:30

Hi George

Small world isn't it, I worked at the telephone exchange in Hall Rd ...now an upmarket block of flats :-(

Lolly

QPR have got one back :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Oct 2012 21:35

I love London, though I suppose I 'might' feel differently if I lived there?

I love the river because I feel I have a stake in its bringing wealth to the city, with my watermen and lightermen ancestors, I love the theatres, and the parks, and Westminster Cathedral, and the dome of St Pauls from the river, I like that there are so many nationalities living or visiting, I love the little unexpected architectural gems that you come across...I love that there is a great pocket A to Z! lol.

I like the way that everytime I have visited someone has asked me the way somewhere :-D

Lynda, re mention of Michael Crawford, have 'met' him two or three at the stage door when he was in 'Barnum' ( we saw it a LOT) , very nice and friendly and signed posters and LPs for us and kissed my mum which made her day :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 1 Oct 2012 21:53

I couldn't list all the things I love about London Rose, because nearly every time I'm there, I see something else I love, it might be just a little church, that's open, and when you go in you find so much to see, or it might just be something that happens, that makes me think, this could only happen in London, there are some wonderful eccentrics there ! But amongst my favourites are St Paul's Cathedral,. Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Covent Garden, all the tourist spots really.

I went in Buckingham Palace last year, and was amazed at how beautiful it was, obviously you see loads of it on the TV, but in real life it is more spectacular, the colours are so vibrant. I also did a tour of Parliament, that too was amazing, the guide we had was so informative.

I especially love Covent Garden, it's where my ancestors came from, and my Nan sold flowers around Drury Lane, also my Dad bought fruit and veg for the business in the market, and I sometimes went with him, if I could get up at 4 a.m. I love walking round the area imagining what life was like way back, the buildings where they lived are still there.

I love Cities, but the only one that comes anywhere near to London, for me, is Rome, love that in a different way-D

Joeva

Joeva Report 1 Oct 2012 22:24

<3 I love London <3 Lived here all my life................ love all that it has to offer..the museums, historic building, theatres, parks,the Thames ......and the diversity of the people.

All my ancestors way back to the 1700s lived here, so I suppose it's in my blood ! :-)

Jo

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 2 Oct 2012 20:43

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.........................

Wots wrong wichya?

Why aint no one rabbitting?

:-D :-D :-D :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 2 Oct 2012 21:18

Did many of you used to have bonfires in the middle of the road on bonfire night? We used to see who could get the biggest bonfire going, and when the end of the night came the Fire brigade used to come round an put all the fires out, can you imagine that happening today?

George

George Report 2 Oct 2012 22:03

Fire starter :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

George :-) :-) :-)

Wend

Wend Report 2 Oct 2012 22:24

I was manhandled into one of the fountains in Trafalgar Square on New Year's Eve by some exuberant youths circa 1966. We had just watched The Hollies singing under the Norweigan Spruce there. I went home dripping wet with my friends on the tube back to Shepherds Bush. Happy Days :-D

George

George Report 2 Oct 2012 22:28

That must have been bloody cold getting pushed into the fountains on New years eve :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( and having to go home on the tube with a wet bush, :-D :-D :-D :-D Oppps, Shepherds bush :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

George :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 2 Oct 2012 22:30

maybe it's becaws I'm a Londoner......tr la la la la da da

Wend

Wend Report 2 Oct 2012 22:41

George, you're SO norty :-D Still, you got in before Merlin ( who is snoozing now after several malts no doubt.)

H'actually, it was West Kensington - not a bush in sight :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 2 Oct 2012 23:01

I have very happy memories of Trafalgar Square circa 1971, Arsenal had won the double, and we somehow ended up in Trafalgar Square with Liverpool fans, who we'd just beaten, what a great bunch they were :-D I;ve also spent spent many a happy new Years Eve, in Trafalgar Square, happy memories :-D