General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Muslim vigilantes

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Jan 2013 23:20

I have watched two news items related to the title of this thread. If you haven't seen one check the link below.

I couldn't believe my ears! I was so damn angry that this is happening to people who happen to wander into 'their areas' I want the so called vigilantes caught, arrested and charged under any prosecutable offence in law.

What right do they believe they have to dictate what is worn or carried into 'their Muslim areas'?

Anyone else angry or just me?

http://news.sky.com/story/1042295/police-in-muslim-vigilantes-victim-appeal

aivlyS

aivlyS Report 24 Jan 2013 23:25

Bloody cheek of them .

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jan 2013 23:31

I just can't look at it cos I know I shall get flamin' mad

Diane

Diane Report 24 Jan 2013 23:53

My comment is if you don't like the rules of the country you live in then live somewhere were your rules and beliefs apply.

In this country we except all religions and except they have their beliefs and we respect them so they should respect our beliefs rules and laws, if not then why live in a country were you are not happy.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Jan 2013 00:01

Look at this story!!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/10406568/spreading-the-word

How angry do you think I am??

:-| :-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 25 Jan 2013 00:26

Well in both our countries is it a straightforward question...in or out? Integration or separation?

I know we are referring to radicals in the UK but the press being the press will always publicise the negatives. In Australia it seems to be one rule for Muslims and all the rest take their own chances.

In Aus it may be to counter many people's views that Muslim = terrorist (that view is held by some in the UK too I have no doubt).

It isn't that long ago that news was full of the wish to have Sharia law implemented within Muslim communities, of yeah let's go back to barbaric courts where women remain second class citizens and the young who do not have Islamism ingrained will make mistakes which will blight the rest of their lives.

I don't think we are a multi-cultural society in the least. I think we are a society with multiple cultures who don't a) understand each other and b) wont until there are compromises on both sides.

Let's all tread on egg shells in case we say, write or draw anything which may be deemed disrespectful to Mohammed. We can mock ,any other religions with humour..take Omid Djalili. He can insult Israel, Palestine, Iran, Iraq, the UK and USA within one sketch. A completely level playing field (and he's really funny).

I am trully scared where the UK will be in ten years time.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 25 Jan 2013 00:48

I am angry as well Sue, My OH was walking our dog his usual route at night when he was "Told" (not asked) to cross the road, Because the women were coming out of the mosque/community center.

As per norm the dog was being walked on lead and under control, my OH is well aware that some people are intimidated and wary of large dogs, he would always give other pedestrians a wide berth and not allow the dog up close. so was fuming at the attitude of the man.

These so called vigilantes are storing up a whole load of resentment that will escalate if their tolerance levels are not modified

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Jan 2013 00:48

Really pees me off. When I lived in Saudi, I had to wear all the 'gear' - and had a gun pulled on me for removing my yashmak in the souk (I couldn't handle a Burka - but everything else was covered from head to toe).

In this country, we don't cover our faces - men realise a woman is not for their use only. I personally find it very rude for a woman/person to go around with their face covered in this country, I like to read faces.

When in Rome - do as the Romans do. If you don't like it - p*ss off,

You're not going to make any friends by forming a vigilante group consisting of you and a couple of your mates.
Let's hope they are arrested soon for harrassment/threatening behaviour and being total prats.
I'd also like to know where the elders/Mullahs of the community are, as this is very un-Islamic behaviour.

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jan 2013 07:55

"Islamic leaders in east London condemned the vigilantes.

A spokesman for the East London Mosque said: "These actions are utterly unacceptable and clearly designed to stoke tensions and sow discord. We wholly condemn them.

"The East London Mosque is committed to building co-operation and harmony between all communities in this borough. The actions of this tiny minority have no place in our faith nor on our streets."

IMO, young thugs will be young thugs, whatever 'faith' they claim to have to justify their behaviour.....walk in loads of areas where idiots gather and you will get "this is our turf...anyone not fitting the bill needs to get out of it".... that is the same in Wales( 'The ****Massif" sic), in Kent where I used to live, where the thugs are NOT Muslim they are just, unintelligent 'youth' who will use ANY excuse to 'have a go' at anyone 'different'.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 25 Jan 2013 08:15

Rose got there before me. It's good to see these idiots are condemned by their community leaders.

There are gangs in most big cities who will intimidate outsiders who venture in, it's not confined to one sector.

I hear on the news that there have been 5 arrests already.

It seems to me that they were young thugs looking for an excuse to be thugs.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 25 Jan 2013 08:34

MY GRANDDAUGHTER GOES TO A Cof E SHCOOL AND ASKED IF ITS A CHURCH SCHOOL HOWS COME MUSLIMS GO THERE

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Jan 2013 08:54

Hi Dizzi,

This is something I've always found a bit odd but this is the 'official' statement re your query:

'In September 2007, the Church of England joined all the other main faith school providers in England in signing a shared vision for promoting community cohesion through schools with a religious character. In 'Faith in the System,' the Government and religious groups confirmed their commitment to continue to work together - and with schools with and without a religious character - to improve the life chances of children, to build bridges to greater mutual trust and understanding and to contribute to a just and cohesive society. .

Many church schools (both VC and VA, primary and secondary) have a high proportion of Muslim children, a substantial number have over 80 per cent intake from the Muslim community.

The CofE is committed to reserving at least 25 per cent of places in new CofE schools for pupils from the local neighbourhood regardless of faith background or none. In practice most new CofE schools reserve less than 50 per cent for Christian applicants, and almost all CofE Academies have 100 per cent neighbourhood admissions.'

Other info re C of E schools can be found here.

http://www.churchofengland.org/our-views/education/church-schools-faqs.aspx

Hope this helps. Cx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 25 Jan 2013 08:57

THANKS
BUT WHEN A NINE YR OLD NOTICED IT
MAKES YOU WONDER DONT IT

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jan 2013 09:52

I was cross when I read it but also read the bit about the leaders condemning them. As somebody said, young yobs, but they should not be allowed to get away with it either by law or by their own leaders. It is not good for Muslims who don't all want to be or need to be tarred with the same brush (My Gt niece is a muslim).

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 Jan 2013 10:08

I can understand groups of immigrants wanting to live in ghettos till they are established. Same as for all other immigrants - they stuck together at first. Huguenots, Irish, Jews and now Muslims.

Huguenots are now 100% integrated. So are Irish. Jews almost. And too early yet for Muslims.

Much of Belgrave in Leicester is what we call a ghetto. Small Heath in Birmingham similar. It is many years since that row in Luton over a poster showing a women with not too much on.

Such a lot is happening now within community groups and inter-faith groups and I am more confident than SueCrutch about our future. But anybody who believes that any part of England should become a Muslim enclave and abide by Sharia law should be dealt with firmly by the leaders of that community. And charged accordingly under the SOVEREIGN law of this land.

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jan 2013 10:40

I may be naive but I like to believe that we live in a tolerant society, where diversity is embraced.

Growing up in the 70s, I was subjected to racist abuse, merely for the fact that my family were Irish.

We were all (according to the perpetrators) members of the IRA! My humanities teacher used to call me an ‘Irish Polly’ on a regular basis.....rather ironic, wouldn’t you say.

These so called ‘vigilantes’ are merely thugs and bullies using ‘faith’ as a tool to validate their unacceptable actions.

The Qur'an does not endorse this type of behaviour and the majority of muslims would denounce these actions. The majority of muslims are good people.

While I don’t condone this type of behaviour, I also can’t help but think it is another tool for the media to evoke race hate.

Merlin

Merlin Report 25 Jan 2013 14:18

Sharia Law Exists in this country, but it is ignored because It would be regarded as Racist to stop it. If people wish to live by that Law then they should (In my opinion) go and reside in a Country which has it,other than, that abide by the Law of this (Their Adopted Country).As has been said the Elders/Muslim Leaders Condemn what is happening,They should do more than that,they should preach in their Mosques about it being Unlawful in this Country.**M**.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 25 Jan 2013 15:11

Rabbanic and Christian law also exists in this country, Islam isn't on its own.

Catholics cannot divorce and remarry - should their priests be saying that they can because that's the law of the land, even though it goes against the Pope?

People who follow many religions adhere to the laws of that religion, should they all be told to leave as well?

If people choose to obey religious laws that's their business, as long as they don't try to make me do the same.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 25 Jan 2013 23:22

If they want to apply Islamic laws to members locally of their Islamic faith, then can't see the problem. Same with Catholic Church or any church or club - you have rules to follow.

But if I walk through a Muslim area in any city a few feet behind my wife I think I am entiteld. And if I am want to go into a sari shop in my work boots, I think that is my right. I guess it is the legal right of the owner to tell me I am not welcome.

And if I was living in Islamabad or Riyadh, I would try my hardest to respect their country.

These young extremists are so out of order. They so disrespect Western culture, yet choose to live in the midst of it. :-(

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Jan 2013 00:20

Thanks for replies. I have answers in my head but feel like death warmed so if I replied at the moment I would definitely get reported.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to form another question without sounding non pc but I doubtt it :-P