General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GR Membership Offer

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 27 Nov 2014 16:17

Taken from Lost Cousins Newsletter

EXCLUSIVE
From today until Friday 12th December you can save 50% on 12 month Standard subscriptions to Genes Reunited when you click here and use the offer code LCDEC - bringing the price down from £20 to just £10, which is less than you'd pay for a 6 month subscription! (To secure your exclusive discount you'll need to enter the promotional code on the payment page.)

Genes Reunited needs no introduction - originally known as Genes Connected when it launched in early 2003, it was a spin-off from the well-known Friends Reunited site. There are two main ways to use Genes Reunited - you can search for specific relatives, or you can upload your tree as a Gedcom file (almost all family tree programs can export your tree in this format). Other members of the site can't see your tree unless you give them permission - similarly you can't see their trees unless they give you permission.

It's also possible to build a tree on Genes Reunited, though I generally wouldn't recommend relying on ANY online tree as your main repository of data because programs that run on your own computer are generally more powerful and flexible (Family Historian is the program I generally recommend when asked).

All Genes Reunited subscriptions now include 50 free pay-per-view credits, which would normally cost £4.95 - and not only do you get 50 credits with your initial subscription, you get another 50 each time you renew. Genes Reunited offers access to most of the British records that you'd find at findmypast, including the British Newspaper Archive.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2014 16:24

Well, well, well. :-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 27 Nov 2014 16:45

It seems like it's a drive to increase GR's dropping membership. My renewal is due in January and this is cheaper than my renewal since GR hiked it up. Wonder if it's only for new members, plus you get 50 credits. Will they come with my January renewal I wonder.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Nov 2014 18:12

Its probably open to every one.

There was something similar around when I renewed earlier this year. To get the discount I made sure that my account showed not to auto renew so that the membership lapsed.

I was then able to type in the promotional code, and hey presto! :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Nov 2014 18:47

My 6 months standard membership (£8.96) is up for renewal on the 6th Dec.......so maybe I am on to a winner!!??

:-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 27 Nov 2014 19:02

Darn it ive missed out (just) :-D :-D ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Nov 2014 23:38

I did not get the 50 credits when I renewed for a year back in August

bet I'll miss that part of the offer if I renew next August :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2014 09:48

I note the last sentence. But you only have access to records if you pay more.

Today on fmp.co.uk the annual charges are World £129.50 and Britain £99.50.

The gr.co.uk annual charge for Platinum is £80.04 (12 x £6.67). But to get the newspapers and other items there is an additional annual charge of £84.80 (3 x £14.95 + 1 x £39.95). So anyone paying for the total records available on here pays more for less!

This morning I have an offer from fmp.com by email:-
“We told you this unbeatable Black Friday offer was coming and now it's here – get 75% off a 12 month World subscription on Findmypast. This is a limited offer, once the 5,000 discounted subscriptions are gone, they’re gone so pick up yours now.
This extra special offer gives you a year’s unlimited access to all of the records on Findmypast so you can explore your family history all the way through to Thanksgiving 2015. Usually priced at $199.50, you can claim yours today for just $49.50!
Your discount will be applied automatically, but should you have any trouble, simply type the code BLACKFRIDAY14 into the promotional code box at the bottom of the payment page and click 'apply'.
Be quick - this offer expires either when the discounted subscriptions run out or at 11.59pm (EST) on Cyber Monday, 1 December 2014, whichever comes first.”

And from the fmp.com website:-
World: View as many records as you like, including collections from United Kingdom, Ireland, USA, Australia and New Zealand
US & Canada: View as many US and Canadian records as you like

EDIT
Use the search box to see what fmp.com has for your area:

http://search.findmypast.com/historical-records?region=united%20kingdom&page=1

Graham

Graham Report 28 Nov 2014 10:21

My subscription is due for renewal today. So I just tried it and got a message saying the code is invalid or has expired. :-(

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2014 10:49

Graham,

You have a subscription to fmp.com? Or fmp.co.uk?

Graham

Graham Report 28 Nov 2014 10:53

No. I used to have, until it went caca.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2014 11:01

Graham,
"Used to have". Where? .com or .co.uk? Two different sites under the same group.

Graham

Graham Report 28 Nov 2014 11:10

.co.uk

why do you ask? :-S

Inky1

Inky1 Report 28 Nov 2014 13:36

Because, as I indicated, this offer is on findmypast.com. It is still early in North America. So if you want this offer, get in soon. And do not get moved over to the .co.uk site..

"Find the right findmypast for you

It looks like you're visiting us from the United Kingdom. We recommend that you use findmypast.co.uk"

Two buttons. Click the right one.......

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Dec 2014 19:00

Of course, it would be even better if it gave you a platinum membership for £10

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2014 19:45

I subscribed to fmp.com a couple of years ago when it first started out .............

it was the pits!

search engine didn't work, could never really get any records up

I would not try it again!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 1 Dec 2014 20:59

I love FMP - especially the newspapers.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 2 Dec 2014 10:39

SylviainCanada,

Findmypast.com may well have been the pits two years ago. But I beg to differ.

Based on your final comment I presume that you have not tried out the current search engine – per the link in my previous post?

I suggest you do. I found it easy to use. It does seem that they have all, or at least most, of the parish records, etc. that are available on here.

I do not subscribe to findmypast.co.uk so do not know if findmypast.com has the same sets. But I did an exact search ‘UK only & name only’ on .com for one of my ancestors who had a not-so-common forename and got 57 hits which included 13 newspaper articles. I then did the same search on here and got 1,114 hits for British Newspaper Archive. I do not subscribe for newspapers. However, looking at the extracts that the search returned, I could see that the first 13 hits were the same as those returned on findmypast.com.

Based on that search it is likely that all three sites are using the same newspaper database. This in turn comes from the British Newspaper Archive which, as we know, is also hosted by DCT.

In conclusion. For the newspaper database:-
- the findmypast.com engine returned ‘forename’ AND ‘surname’.
- the genesreunited.co.uk engine returned ‘forename’ AND/OR ‘surname’

The latter is pointless…especially if you are looking for names in common use.
The same search for John Smith returned 446,824 on findmypast.com and 5,189,954 on genesreunited.co.uk

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Dec 2014 11:18

I can't bear the 'new' FMP.

I'm always having to reenter details as they disappear too easily - just one of my complaints.

Re Newspapers - I would never use the search on Genes - it is too vague. I always use the free search on the newspapers own site. I then use what I glean from that to look up the edition I want on FMP or go to my FHS and use the full newspaper site.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 2 Dec 2014 15:41

namelessone,

Are you referring to the findmypast.co.uk search engine?
If so, what details do the disappearing act? (ie do you have to input every field again, or just some of them?)

And have you contacted the site team?
If so, did you actually get a reply?