General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caddapit

Caddapit Report 2 Nov 2015 09:03

Are genesreunited going to be offering this. I have juts started to look at it on findmypast and the cost is exhorbitant

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Nov 2015 09:07

Sorry Ken, but this is exclusive to Find My Past.

I believe they may have the rights for some years.

Caddapit

Caddapit Report 2 Nov 2015 09:08

Oh well I wont be paying 6 or 7 quid per household record

Kense

Kense Report 2 Nov 2015 09:15

See more on this thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1355773

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2015 09:16

I think FMP have had enough of my hard earned cash over the years and I object to paying any more to them. :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Nov 2015 10:51

Given that a lot of the people on the 1939 register will have their details redacted under the 100 yr rule ( who imposed this? ) the the cost of death certs at £ 10/pop has to be added in. However if you know whose death cert to apply for then you know who was at the address in 1939 anyway so don't really need the info!

For the Greater London and Surrey the online electoral roll + BMD will give the same information. Online ER are gradually being extended. Unlike the paper versions there is an index of names x streets which is a huge help.

After the first rush of blood to the head at a guess sales will be disappointing relative to cost. The redaction may be lifted in whole or part.

Nevertheless I am forking out for my mother who knows perfectly well all the '39 details she just wants a copy as a rather late in the day souvenir. So she says.

"You are old, Father William," the young man said,
"And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head—
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again."

"You are old," said the youth, "As I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door—
Pray, what is the reason of that?"

"In my youth," said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
"I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment—one shilling the box—
Allow me to sell you a couple?"

"You are old," said the youth, "And your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak—
Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life."

"You are old," said the youth, "one would hardly suppose
That your eye was as steady as ever;
Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose—
What made you so awfully clever?"

"I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
Said his father; "don't give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!"

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Nov 2015 16:04

Maybe it will like the 1911 census and only exclusive for a year. :-0 Mind I believe that FMP transcribed it all.

I will wait, I think until later :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Nov 2015 16:07

RRose quotes
"According to tender document the contract is for 10 years from 2014, with option to extend for 5 years.".

You never know; they may change their mind

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Nov 2015 16:15

http://www.sell2wales.gov.uk/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG003896

Duration of the contract or limit for completion
Starting 31-03-2014 Ending 31-03-2024

Total quantity or scope
Potential to extend for 4 further periods of 5 years each.
Estimated value excluding VAT: 20 000 000 <<<<<
Currency: GBP

No wonder the end-user cost may seem high!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Nov 2015 16:49

How do they decide who is dead?

AFAIK the "closed" records mean a person living in 2015. Well I can see one of my uncles who is very much alive and kicking in Australia as an "open" record and thus dead according to FMP.

Another aunt was sailing under the surname of her fiancee although they did not get married until 1946. This amuses my mother. Although deceased she was b. 1920s so why is her record open?

Is it that if somebody forks out and "opens" a record then it is "open" for everybody else? If so then just sit stum and wait eventually you may get most of what you want for free and be happy for whoever forked out with the old very expensive scheme. God knows who 'cos my rellies rarely lash out for such fripparies.

Forking out for a bunch of death certs on top of the FPM fee looks very expensive. Anybody going for it ?

Supposing you don't know roughly where your (deceased) rellie was in 1939 or they were somewhere unexpected. It is not possible to submit a death cert unless you have "unlocked" the household (fee). So you shell out and person not there. Hmm. Somewhere else then ? No chance 'cos closed records are not included in the index. How do you "unlock" a house hold where all the records are closed?

Say you have the right household and yr rellie had some popular name as Dave Smith. There were around 250 Dave Smith's b 1916-1921. Whose death cert do you go for as evidential proof ? The one born near to the 1939 Registration place? Ah but you know he was born far away and was shot down in 1942 with no known grave. How will you keep FMP happy with that?

The UI for entering counties, urban districts etc could hardly be more clunky. No effort in translating local govt areas in 1939 to current localities.

A dog's dinner.

If you have the information it is not worth shelling out for a scanned copy unless you feel very flush. If you don't have the info you will need a fair slice of luck and quite a large fee ( inc death certs) to get your ducks in a row.

Tell you what why not spend the same money on something seasonal and useful such as the BL poppy fund ?

When Ancestry add something significant to their databases eg Greater London ER it becomes part of their offer not another way to gouge some money. FMP have behaved in a pretty ratty way to their users. They must admire such firms as Ryan Air, Talk Talk, Thos Cook, NPower, EE for their skill in customer relationship management.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 Nov 2015 17:19

Found the ones I wanted easily enough. Didn't download them all because process of elimination answered a lot of questions.

Fairly happy to pay for the ones I did download because they have birthdates of everyone on the page, so saved a bit in birth certs.

I got a discount as a subscriber to FMP. Still enough credits left for 2 more households, so I'll have another delve sometime.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Nov 2015 17:31

Just following a debate on a FB page about this, as an FMP subscriber you get a discount but other than that it´s 6.95 a household. ??????? I will wait ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Nov 2015 17:33

Not paid, not paying lol.

But there was some quite interesting stuff using the index for me, that I haven't found elsewhere, primarily that my grandfather who married bigamously under an assumed first name, kept that first name and his actual initials in 1939, but he did tell the truth about his age which he hadn't when he married.

By a process of elimination, I am fairly convinced that the uncle I supposed married is the right one, without having to buy the cert, as he is the only TG Keating born that year and he was in Chelsea as I expected him to be.

Would like to have seen the entry for my mum just to have it, but will think about it in the future, I have the death cert so it won't cost me for that.

Lot of unhappy people on FB though, who expected more. The address search isn't great, apparently the building my grandparents and mum were in doesn't exist... but it does because it was the flat above Lloyds bank Chester lol and is still very much there :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 20:03

you can search for free, and get the name of the person plus birth date, town, and number of people also living in that household.

Then, if you know your family, you can search individually for each one of those persons, and get some information.

For most of what I want to know, that's enough ................. and much better than paying FMP some incredible amount

This, incidentally, is what fmp.australia is charging .............

Records are $13.50 per household, $48.50 for 5 households ($9.70 each) or $106.50 ($7.10 each) in our best value 15 household package

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Nov 2015 20:22

Grief!!!!!!

I know the exact names and DOB, some of of the names which are so unusual they cannot be anyone else.

Are they listed? No.

One record re hubby's family the surname is mistranscribed (I know it's him through DOB and where living) BUT 3 people on record and a further 7 who are officially closed.

Why? They are all dead so cannot object.... :-(

I feel really disappointed after all the hype.

Edit: As I have a worldwide sub with FMP it's still £6.95 for a single record.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Nov 2015 20:29

Hiya Sis :-D

Post this on GC................

Have to say that I can't be bothered with it at the moment.

Too hit and miss................more miss than hit.

Just checked my aunt (fathers sister b1911) not there.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Nov 2015 20:30

Free search only offers YOB.

Any unused credits for none- sub users can be used for any part of FMP site..

Found one close relative whos married name also appears with maiden name, in 1939 (which threw me ) .the person didnt meet her man till 1945!!,but they died in 1978,so some parts of the register has been kept up-todate.

Discount offers me a bundle offer that =.£3-74 per--household....which I wont be using as I dont need to know where gt aunt fanny was in 1939....

It would have generated more income if a set minimun of £10 ==100 credits and taken 50 credits per-household that would equate to £2-50p per look,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,£10 is within most peoples budget.

Also my dad or mother isnt on it although hes passed away,as he could still fall in the 100 year trap...

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Nov 2015 20:31

Even the road in which my Grandparents lived an me when I was at school is not even listed.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 2 Nov 2015 20:35

Bro, I have had a moan on their FB page...... not that it will make one iota of difference.

Re hubby's family I am not going to prove to them that all 20 children are dead! They want documented proof from me..... :-P

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Nov 2015 20:41

My Aunt is definitely dead................she committed suicide !!