General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register om fmp

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 7 Nov 2015 12:49

Has anybody accessed the 1939 register and been successful in finding any of their relatives..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Nov 2015 12:56

Found quite a few on the Free search, but not yet paid to access them.

Are you having problems? Names will be redacted if they were born after 1915 and died after 1991.
Then there is the old chestnut of poor transcription.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Nov 2015 13:04

Found my mother with two "closed" people (probably my brother and sister); dad not there, probably already in the Army. It confirmed my mother's DOB which, as her birth was never registered, was good.

Don't think I will be spending any more money on it though, the ERs give me most of what I want.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Nov 2015 13:16

Yes, though it helps if you already know where to look.
Most of anything useful for checking out a tree can be found from the indexes (free) . All you get for an extra £ 7 is the actual address plus an image of the card.

It can be amusing - I found an uncle living with his future wife with wife under her married name 2 years before the marriage.

The open / closed status is inconsistent e.g. I found two uncles' entries as open ( ie deceased) when both are very much alive and kicking down under.

Taking the Greater London area (20% of England & Wales population) all of this data can be found online for those > 21 whether they are alive / under 100 in 2015 or not. It is rather inconsistent then to redact information which is in the public domain and available from other sources.

I am not aware if the Registration Act rushed through in 1939 contained any privacy restrictions as with the census. I doubt it as the Reg.Card database was used as a basis with which to set up the NHS in 1947. Maybe somebody knows but given that the Reg. card was needed in order to buy food, petrol etc. there is no reason wht the govt. needed to have promised anything.

So long as FMP charge £ 7 / household for which much of the information will be redacted I can't see it being much of a commercial success. Adding in £ 10 per person for death certs hardly helps. Freezing out the poss. of people seeing their own R.C. is perverse esp as anybody who wants can get (for a tenner) a birth / marriage cert for the same people!

FMP have apparently paid £ 20 M for the rights to this database. Given the restrictions it does not to me look a good investment.

If somebody shells out for a death cert and gets a record changed from closed to open does the open status then apply for anybody else searching on the same household?

The phrase "curate's egg" comes to mind.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Nov 2015 13:26

Rollo
" If somebody shells out for a death cert and gets a record changed from closed to open does the open status then apply for anybody else searching on the same household?" As I understand it it does, though I've not tried it out as yet.

I've 'found' both sets of grandparents, but I knew where they were in any case, a couple of uncles, and more helpfully confirmed pretty much that a gt uncle did marry who I thought he had.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Nov 2015 13:53

I've applied to have my mother's record opened as I already had her death certificate (from 2003). The record will not give my anything I don't already know but I will let you know if they do open it. I applied on the 3rd Nov. and they say I would know within 10 days.

I had tried searching for my mother's name but nothing came up. I then did an address search as I knew where she was living but only my grandfather came up with 5 other residents closed. I assume this is either my parents and older brother and sisters, or if my father was away in the army then the other person is possibly my late uncle. I had thought that my grandfather only spent the last 6 months of his life living with my parents while he was ill but it seems he must have spent at least 18 months with them as he died in 1941.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Nov 2015 15:11

Surely the household fee is worth it if it gives their dates of birth if that's what you want? It's cheaper than a BC and you may get more names/dob for your money.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Nov 2015 15:12

I have found my parents (living in the lower flat) and my grandparents (upper flat), but only by putting in their names.

If I put in the address there are lots of entries, but not them!! Presumably transcription errors, but I'm not paying just to see that.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Nov 2015 15:16

There appear to be quite a few transcription errors.
I've put in 4 names so far - and two were spelt wrong.
Without paying, I've found my gg granddad was living with his daughter, son in law and a 'closed' person - or maybe they were living with him!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Nov 2015 15:45

Haven't paid to access it but on the free search I was able to discover one rellie wasn't where he might have been. It doesn't sound much but it narrows my search for a very elusive man a bit more.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Nov 2015 18:27

Started looking yesterday but couldn't find my grandparents. Detective's comment about being born after 1915 explains that!

Found my elusive great grandmother but her age is 10 years off so debating whether to pay to get her date of birth or not.

Rose

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Nov 2015 21:51

I've used the free search successfully to check my parents and maternal grandparents .............. and was quite surprised to see both my brother and uncle in full view, as both were born after 1915.

However, both died around 1990/91, and the fact hat the Register was used as the basis for the NHS and was continuously updated into the 1990s explains that!

I'm debating whether to pay to see my parents record, in the hope that it will tell me what my Dad did in WW2 ............. I know he was in restricted occupation but have never known what that was. The fact that he is at home on the Register did tell me that his secondment to London had happened later than I thought.

I've also found several other relatives living where I expected them to be living ......... not surprising as I did know most of them :-)

One little surprise that you might not expect is that the later continuous updating means that you will find women listed under a married name when the marriage had not happened until much later.

My great aunt is shown under her second married name with her first married name in brackets. Her first husband was still alive in 1939, and she didn't marry the second time until 1951.

I found that only because I was playing around with free searches, and tried a street search

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Nov 2015 11:44

On a cursory search I have found three relatives alive and kicking one in the UK and two in Oz with their records marked open.

I have also found that the wife of another rellie was registered both at her future husband's home under his name and 200 miles away living with her mum under her maiden name. I guess that was fairly common!

The old style register with NI nos of the form AANNNNNNZZ has hopefully been updated since the 1990s as a lot of living people are included on it including myself!

During the blitz 1941 my father was serving with the police in the East End of London. He told me that the Ration Cards caused no end of trouble. A primary cause was that the details on the cards were incorrect in some way such as spelling of names, wrong address, wrong date of birth. There was a full ration of jobsworths who took it on themselves to cancel ration cards for such reasons as wrong address (bombed out, failed to notify), east european name spelt incorrectly and so on.

The register of 1939 then is a moment in time of the British people before the weft and warp of civilian life was ripped apart never to be mended. Don't rely on it too much as a pointer to your rellies 1940-45 especially if they lived in a large city.

It is often commented that the quantities of ration food were very small and few people today would be able to work very well half starved. Well there was a thriving black market run by the "spivs" ( see Dad's Army ), restaurants and cafes were (amazingly) not subject to ration, people could and did ( and were encouraged ) to use their gardens and allotments to produced food not only veg but pigs and chickens. The food produced was supposed to be reported but most of it wasn't. Those serving with the navy and RAF were not subject to rationing.

Theatres, restaurants and clubs in the West End around Soho just carried on as usual for the most part ignoring any bombing raids.

The excruciatingly slow progress of Atlee's government 1945-51 in getting the country back to a civilian basis and the persistance of food rationing long after the war are a major reason why very old people in the UK to this day are so hostile to the Labour party. In France food rationing ended in 1945 except for a short lived attempt to re institute bread rationing.

chris in da condo

chris in da condo Report 8 Nov 2015 12:37

Results from the free searching of people in the first few days showed the TNA piece and item number. This you could then use to see other people living in the neighbourhood. This must have been an oversight by FMP as that info has now disappeared and the loophole closed. A pity because it was a useful free tool.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2015 12:47

Rollo – are your 3 rellies centenarians or are their details opened in error? There is an option to have them ‘closed’ if you/they/ nok choose.

My mum used to say that it was ‘strange’ how some council employed families had roast pork – she reckoned that the meat was reared on Hackney Marshes and bought/supplied as back-hander’s.

Of course it would take time to remove Rationing. Not only were manufacturing bases ruined, the raw materials were in short supply. It’s not possible to click your fingers and grow/produce extra food especially as Britain and other countries were supplying Germany with rations – Berlin Air Lift 1948-1949?

chris in da condo - apparently at some point. the ref nos will reappear. This is as per a conversation on FMP facebook page.

"As you mention in your post, we're working on that section of the search and it will be back as soon as possible. We appreciate its importance to a researcher, and so will have it up again as soon as we can. Thanks
Like · Reply · 23 mins" (so repeated today c 12:24)

Kense

Kense Report 8 Nov 2015 15:25

Chris in da condo, you can work out the TNA number from the URL of the preview pane.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2015 16:09

Can you talk that through, with examples, please Ken?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Nov 2015 16:39

found my dads name , with "another person", my mum, and one other, presumably me,,,,,,,

Kense

Kense Report 8 Nov 2015 17:30

Have put the conversion on the Genealogy Chat thread 1939 Register is Announced

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1355773?jump=1355773

Kense

Kense Report 8 Nov 2015 17:33

As I didn't use the method when they gave the TNA number I can't guarantee the result is the same as before.