General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Curious adoption finding

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 05:07

Surnames don't add up. But never told of adoptions. How common were there before ww2 around 1940? If so how can I check them on platinum user

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2016 05:35

Adoptions have always been there .

Before 1927 when legal adoptions came in they would be informal adoptions for various reasons ie a new husband took on the children from a previous relationship to a new family taking in a child

You can't check adoptions they are on a separate register after the courts issued an adoption certificated and these are closed records

If you know a birth name though you should be able to find the GRO for the registration

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 05:50

Well it's just my family is unrelated yet same surname but then courts gave me an alias yes could be however found the only birth cert for the name given but then led me to another name but no certs could be abroad no marriages to the names just a gooseberry chase around the Web of sorts. Even tried jk sal army finder monkey and still nothing it's as if this person has a birth cert but in a sense no one gave birth... which I know is impossible.

Father gave surname yet is surname is robinson from courts. Then mother was choe (korean or Japanese) but still nothing relating to robinson for a father even if in wars etc. Or if both parents came to lpool but left again would of meant someone looked after him.

Puzzling but doesn't make sense but don't want a birth cert in case it's wrong plus if I had a reason I could get adoption cert if I knew details but I'm only going on hunches.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2016 08:05

You cant get a copy of the adoption certificate its a closed record :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2016 08:11

if the child was illegitimate but the father is named then it should show under both surnames ,unless the info wasnt given at the time of reg that they were unmarried

do you want to give more info so helpers can take a look too

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Aug 2016 08:48

more info would be a little iffy since the person is probably still living, and may not want their personal background discussed on the internet.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 7 Aug 2016 08:52

I think you need to take a gamble on the certificate, it's only a few quid.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Aug 2016 08:53

David, look for marriage and births using the surname Chee.

There has been a misrecording or mistranscription in the entry you are looking at.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2016 10:40

The parents married in 1934 Liverpool

The records are on freeBMD

Mother
Dec qtr 1906
Chee Irene Liverpool 8b 114

There is also a brother born 1937

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2016 10:56

Might be the couple in 1939

REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION
Robinson Household (2 People)
54 Strathmore Road , Hinckley U.D., Leicestershire, England
Start free family tree View original imagePrint
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB OCCUPATION
Irene Robinson 24 Aug 1906 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Thomas Robinson 08 Jun 1906 Hosiery Trimmer
Ref: RG101/6041F/004/42 Letter Code: RFFI
© Findmypast Ltd

DEATH
Name: Irene Robinson
Birth Date: 24 Aug 1906
Date of Registration: Dec 1978
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Hinckley
Inferred County: Leicestershire
Volume: 6
Page: 1338

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 11:11

Only thing I have on my birth cert was oliver isaacs, Liverpool, occupation state registered nurse. could of been anywhere.

Northampton gave me a court record relating to info I gave returned. Robert oliver isaacs alias robinson 28/5/1940

My search robert robinson 1940 lpool
Gave me maiden of choe
Then deeper found a sum choe and Julia kitt but nothing on either as such but only clutching at straws....
Anything else on father more recently cannot find

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 11:12

I did a 1911 thing also on search the bottom last on I think. Could not find anything past my name as my mum did not marry...

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 11:14

Was only assuming on adoption for my dad as where else would he have gotten isaacs from especially if mothers maiden is korean or Japanese... or married during war or overseas couldn't tell me anything even as platinum user

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2016 11:16

There is also this Irene Robinson in Liverpool in the 1939 register (the birth date would match the birth registration Shirley posted):-

Graham Household (3 People)
64 Gordon Drive , Huyton with Roby U.D., Lancashire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS

Irene Robinson 02 Nov 1906 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Lilian Graham 29 May 1914 Female Unpaid Domesic Duties Married
Leslie Graham 27 Jan 1913 Male Lorry Driver ( Foodstuffs) Married

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Aug 2016 11:23

Can only suggest then you buy the birth cert for its info

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2016 11:23

Sorry David - I find your posts quite difficult to understand.

Is it you who was adopted, and if so do you have your own original birth certificate? What is the name of your parents (or parent) on your original birth certificate.

If it is not you who is adopted is it your father that you think might have been?

Sorry if I am being a bit misled by your enquiry.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2016 11:27

Looking at the image for the birth of Robert Robinson in 1940 in Liverpool, I think the mother's maiden name has been mistranscribed. It is not Choe, but Chee - which ties in with the birth and marriage that Shirley has already given you. (the mother of Robert Robinson seems to be born in Liverpool - not Japan.

You really need to buy the certificates.

Kath. x

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 11:34

No I was never adopted but assume my father was if parents were in war as it might of been around that time ppl didn't have a choice but to go to wars from what I've been told socially. How do you all see the misprint as I can't make head nor tail. Lol.

Yeah I'll have to buy a gro cert as I don't have his parents details so how to go about making something unknown to me being known

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Aug 2016 11:39

Go to this website:-

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

You need to fill in the online application form using the following details for the birth (when it asks if the GRO reference is known tick "yes"):-

Name Robert Robinson
Year 1940
Qtr.: 4
District: Liverpool South
Volume 8B
page 71

It will cost you £9. 25p.

Kath. x

David

David Report 7 Aug 2016 11:43

Ok but won't that give everything I can already see?