General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ruby Wax.... WDYTYA.....*****TODAY 8pm.*****

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 20 Sep 2017 13:43

The delayed final episode of Who Do You Think You Are?, series 14, is now set to air on Wednesday 4th October at 8pm on BBC One.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Sep 2017 13:46

Thank you. Hopefully it'll pop up on the planner.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 20 Sep 2017 14:15

Thanks Mr_Magoo, I'l mark it on the calendar so I don't miss it.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Sep 2017 17:23

I can't stand the woman.
Saw her being interviewed on a late programme and to me she is an A""""""le

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 30 Sep 2017 10:35

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Sep 2017 10:56

She was in the one show last evening and seemed not to like Ben Elton being interviewed .she constantly interrupted and tried to be funny with faces she pulls

She seemed to come across as me me me

But I will watch the wdytya until she gets on my goat maybe

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2017 11:11

Whether you like the 'personality' or not, doesn't their journey of discovery provide the entertainment?

Take Danny wotsit from Eastenders. No one would have thought he was descend from 'Nobility'.
We may all shout at the TV at some of the crass comments they make. That's all part of the enjoyment :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2017 11:16

Ruby Wax's Jewish parents fled Vienna and the Nazis for America in 1938. 'They took the war with them.

Sic

(She) journeys to central Europe, where she learns about her parents' flight and the distressing fate of family who remained in Vienna during the war, and she makes a startling discovery about her great-aunt and great-grandmother, which is both harrowing and surprisingly affirming.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b097mdh4

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Sep 2017 12:37

I like her, I always have done. I do not usually watch wdytya but will find time for Ruby Wax. The OneShow is an utter waste of time so if she punctured a few of the low grade egos on the show fine with me.

Ruby is not a "nice" comedienne who won't rattle the teacups in Betty's (Harrogatye) but somebody from a tougher world in Chicago. Don't expect a horse out of water.

recommended: Ruby Wax American Pie

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Sep 2017 12:47

Like Detective I watch for the journey, and any tips.

Mind you I did struggle with watching Jerry Hall, one of the few i have deliberately missed in repeats.

Not watched much of Ruby, at least not for a long time, but she has done a good job of publicising mental health issues.

A tenuous link, but an old friend of mine who in her youth was the spitting image of Ruby Wax sent me a letter at Christmas in which she mentioned that her OH had found out that he might be connected to Danny Dyer through Thomas Cromwell's father.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Oct 2017 22:36

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 3 Oct 2017 18:50

Nudge :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 3 Oct 2017 19:03

Looking forward to finding out about her family.

Think it will be very interesting.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 Oct 2017 10:26

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Oct 2017 12:49

Love Ruby. <3

Witty, intelligent and articulate, should be a good one.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Oct 2017 21:01

Now that was very interesting and explained a lot for Ruby

I enjoyed this one very much and how she was so interested in all that was found
:-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 4 Oct 2017 21:04

They saved the best until last. Really good

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Oct 2017 21:09

Wow! Torn between awe and sympathy!

They used to say 'madness', or as Ruby put it 'agitation' was genetic.
Makes you wonder whether it's a slight mis-wiring of the brain.

Mind you, her mother had every right to be agitated.
Makes the whole nasty business more 'real' when you see photo's and hear their stories.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Oct 2017 21:28

Very sad. I admire Ruby even more now.

So sad that her parents couldn't talk about their experiences.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Oct 2017 21:43

I agree, Guinevere, but perhaps they felt they were protecting her.

One of my nephews was diagnosed with depression over 25 years ago - the only one in the family as far as we know (we'll ignore the train de-railer who was removed from prison and put in an asylum, as the Government paid for prisoners, Local Councils paid for asylum incarceration - nothings changed)

He lives in the New Forest - was brought up there.
Three years ago, he had a tick, which left a dodgy 'bulls eye' mark when removed.
He went for a blood test - which showed no recent Lyme disease - but DID show old - very old Lyme disease.
Further tests - he'd been taking anti-depressants for years - when, all this time, he'd had Lyme disease :-(