General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coroners Court

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Oct 2017 17:30

My late mother died over a week ago.
I have been waiting for the death cert.
Now today I have been informed that the fdeath cert cannot be issued and the file has been passed to the Coroner's Office.
To say the least of it this is instant chaos.
I contacted the C.O. but nobody returns calls.

At a loss.

Has anybody any experience of dealing with the C.O. in the context of death certs?
What will happen now ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Oct 2017 17:37

Sorry that it is getting more complicated, it's hard enough to cope with when it's straightforward.

No real experience except second hand ( and very different circumstances) but there's info here
https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/when-a-death-is-reported-to-a-coroner

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Oct 2017 17:40

Not directly, but this link does say they will issue an interim DC so that you can deal with her affairs. From the sound of it, getting hold of them could be a problem!

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/when-a-death-is-reported-to-a-coroner

Although you are, understandably, grieving and want to move on with the practical details, it’s probably a good thing that the Coroner is involved. You might get to the bottom of the cause of death, particularly after the awful treatment she received. The authorities may be covering their backs in case you take your complaints further.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Oct 2017 17:43

My elderly mother died some years ago, alone at home. She hardly ever saw a doctor so a PM had to be carried out. Luckily it only took a couple of extra days.

The worst was waiting for the Coroner Officer - the locum didn't know want to do and hadn't passed it on. We had to go to someone (family) working with the police to get their station to contact my Mums local station. We were waiting for hours, then had the Police hanging round for hours waiting for the Coroners Officer to give permission to move the body.

But your poor mother died in hospital - I know you had raised questions about her care - I wonder if that is why it has gone to the coroner.

Hope you get this sorted out soon.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Oct 2017 18:26

Hubby died in a hospice in oct 2015 having been transferred there the day before from home

He had been zonked out on morphine to let nature take its course

There had to be a coroners inquest because his legal rights had been taken from him for his medical care

I had a call from the coroners office the following week for info on him so they could issue an interim death cert for the funeral directors.
I was told it would be a talk through inquest which I could attend once they had all the papers but it would be about two weeks

I paid for certs and was advised to get several which was cheaper to get at the same time
I got the certs about 10 days later with the coroner being the informant

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Oct 2017 18:37

thank you everybody

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Oct 2017 19:41

So sorry to read that your mother has passed away Rollo.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Prickles <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 2 Oct 2017 20:06

Rollo <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 2 Oct 2017 20:45

Condolences Rollo..
These days there is so much red tape at a time when you are grieving.
Thinking of you.. ????

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Oct 2017 21:17

Rollo, I was not aware of the news about your mother. Please accept my condolences and I hope you can sort out the problem with the coroners office

YG

YG Report 2 Oct 2017 21:41

Please accept my sincere condolences, Rollo. I have just read back on your original post about the problems you encountered at the hospital and the loss of your mother.
You did everything that you could to help her and I hope that you receive an early response from the coroner to enable you to move forward.

Just make sure that you don't neglect yourself during this very difficult time.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Oct 2017 23:03

My sympathy on the loss of your Mother, Rollo. May she rest in peace.

Liz

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Oct 2017 12:35

So now the C.O. tells me the case file is with the police and her body cannot be released.

"Well it's all right, even if they say you're wrong
Well it's all right, sometimes you gotta be strong
Well it's all right, As long as you got somewhere to lay
Well it's all right, everyday is Judgment Day

Maybe somewhere down the road aways (End of the Line)
You'll think of me, wonder where I am these days (End of the Line)
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays (End of the Line)
Purple haze"

:-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Oct 2017 12:49

What!!! That's the last thing you need. Perhaps they've usd that phrase as the Coroner's Office is part of the judiciary? Hope its sorted out quickly. <3

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Oct 2017 13:47

I think the coroners officer that came to mums house was a police officer but what is happening to rollo is very different.

Has the post-mortem already taken place. I wonder if something turned up during that.

But I think it disgraceful that rollo is not being kept informed.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Oct 2017 14:27

When my daughter died suddenly in 2009.
We had to have an inquest through the coroner.
It was a month before they released her body for burial.

Rollo.You should get a phone call to attend the inquest if you want to go.

Please be patient as it can take a while.

Condolences to you and your family.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Oct 2017 14:53

Have you tried to contact the Family Liaison Officer at your local Police Station? They should at least be able to tell you what's going on. This is a quote from the article and the link is below. I hope you get some satisfaction from them.

Where the police investigate a death they have a positive duty to communicate with the bereaved family. Normally a Police Family Liaison Officer (FLO) has this role.

http://www.healthtalk.org/peoples-experiences/dying-bereavement/bereavement-due-traumatic-death/police-family-liaison-officers-role

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 Oct 2017 15:45

When my MIL died suddenly her body was kept at the coroner's for 10 days. A policeman came on a Wednesday to say the body was released as it was a natural death.

The undertaker had judged the delay impeccably and already had the vicar and the crem booked for the Monday of the following week,16 days after she died. OH took his father to get the death cert. etc on the Thursday. It was 1978 so I realise things have very likely changed since then.

It was a dreadful time so I understand some of what you're going through. You have my sympathy and agree you need to contact the police to find out what is going on and why.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Oct 2017 15:51

Awful for you Rollo, contacting the liaison officer sounds a good idea, at least you should be kept in the picture. Just a thought, I wonder if there is something about the hospital that is not general knowledge, I wonder if they have had more deathes than they should have done.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Oct 2017 17:50

One reason why a third of the country live in Greater London is that things work and in particular GL has things like police stations and people who answer the phone. Here in the sticks where Robert Peel is a distant memory it took a very long time just to penetrate the police switchboard. They had never heard of "Police Liason Offucer" but were able to indentify the officers (note plural) and would ask them to get in touch with me a.s.a.p.

So far silence.

Quite by accident I discovered there is a second similar case active at the same location!