General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bumf

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 11:45

I always thought the word 'bumf' just meant useless printed paper, with very little purpose - like most free papers, adverts that come through the post, electioneering leaflets etc.

I just found out, it means bum fodder!
In the first World War, 'newspapers' were printed in Paris, and transported to soldiers on the front line.
By the next day, this 'news' would be out of date, and the newspaper used to wipe bottoms. :-0

My brother tells me my dad used the word to refer to loo paper, but it obviously went over my head (to coin a phrase!!)

I expect some of you already knew this - but I didn't :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2017 11:50

I have always know bumf as loo paper Maggie. That's what my old Nan always said and she still used it in the outside toilet when I was little. Only the posh bumf indoors :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 11:54

We used newspaper in the outside (and only) loo - much softer than Izal, and my dad used the word 'bumf', but I still didn't link the meaning!

I was only 6 or 7, and probably got told off for saying 'bum', so wouldn't say 'bumf'.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2017 12:03

We were as common as muck in our household Maggie. You would be surprised what I came out with as a child although never swear words that was more than I would do. I would certainly have had my mouth washed out with Lifebuoy soap if I had, and yes I have tasted it :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Nov 2017 12:26

It's a good thing you know that now Maggie isn't it? You never know when you might need a piece of information like that.

Do we pack our little heads with some things as we go along?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 12:34

LaGooner - we lived in a caravan when the loo was a bucket in a shed - so to 'some', apparently no better than trailer trash - but I wasn't allowed to swear.

Sharron, I love to learn.
I shall probably now re-label electioneering leaflets that come through the door. Some will be rubbish - the others 'bumf' - and yes, I shall snigger! . :-D

Sometimes I wish I had a cat litter tray to line. :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Nov 2017 12:35

I am a mine of useless information for doing just that Sharron :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Nov 2017 12:36

Fr Jack was known to use another term to describe 'bum'.

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2017 12:57

When I was much younger Bum Fodder was defined as paper fodder bum :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 13:12

Allan!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Nov 2017 18:12

common lot.. ;-) :-D :-D.

and I do wonder if the royals back then used the Times or crested note paper,,they surely didnt have Izal for old vic. :-)

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2017 21:18

Years ago, when I was in the Army reserve, all the permanent barracks that I stayed in had rolls of toilet papers in the loos of the shiny variety, each sheet of which was stamped 'Government Property'

It always gave me a chuckle when using said paper to think that I was wiping my a**e on Government Property :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 21:33

:-D :-D :-D :-D
Would give me great satisfaction too!!!

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Nov 2017 21:33

You are a slippery, shiney character Allan.

;-) :-D

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2017 21:43

I've been called worse, PH ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2017 21:52

Would that be a bit of a 'bronco', Prickly? :-D :-D :-D

http://broughttolife.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/objects/display?id=1790

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 3 Nov 2017 07:00

Allan....
It always gave me a chuckle when using said paper to think that I was wiping my a**e on Government Property

probably the only time you could "S***" on the government, and get away with it!

Allan

Allan Report 3 Nov 2017 11:55

:-D :-D :-D@Bob

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 3 Nov 2017 16:23

See progress isn't always more convenient, it's hard to wipe your bum with a ipad tweet! :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 3 Nov 2017 16:57

My Gran used to have Izal and Bronko.

As much use as a sore ar*e.