General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Window shopping the glitzy Christmas goods...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Nov 2017 19:27

and luxuries and what did I come back with from the shops today?

A radiator brush, kitchen scourers and some bees wax lol.

The brush got a few odd looks as I carried it through the centre, looks somewhat like a very minimalist, very thin, bendy Christmas tree :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Nov 2017 22:01

Have just had my Christmas delivery from Tesco. You can tell it is the Christmas one because there is a jar of cranberry sauce included.

Sadly, my Christmas has been entirely spoilt. They could not supply the tub of cheese footballs!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2017 22:04

Can you still get those and do they still taste the same?

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Nov 2017 22:07

My dad used to love those, would sit and munch them for hours it seemed

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Nov 2017 22:11

I've seen them in Iceland, and Sainsburys.

For us it used to be a jar of pickled walnuts that signalled Christmas, that and a box of dates lol.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2017 22:54

I already have a radiator brush - grossly underused - the thought of decorating it for Christmas has a lot of appeal. :-D

I'm sorry, but cheese footballs sound gross.

For me, it's cheeselets, and, If I'm a very lucky bunny, Marmite Chocolate! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Nov 2017 22:56

As for the cheese footballs, evidently not!

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Nov 2017 22:56

As for the cheese footballs, evidently not!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Nov 2017 23:43

My friend has just bought her granddaughter some Marmite chocolate in the shape of a large jar of Marmite. It comes in a box and looks really good.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2017 00:52

dates in a box, with the plastic "pick", and the first mandarin oranges appearing in the stores

you can still buy them like that :-)

never heard of cheese footballs!

nor Marmite chocolate .... yuck!!!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Nov 2017 05:11

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Twiglets yet.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Nov 2017 07:12

Twiglets ..... a definite favourite here !

Tangerines in picture tissue wrapping meant Christmas of my childhood was imminent.

A box of lemon and orange jelly slices would be on the sideboard next to a large sharing packet of pink and white marshmallow sweets.

A jar of mango chutney was bought to go with Boxing Day lunch. The rest of the year we relied on and enjoyed Mum's homemade chutney.

Roses lime marmalade was a Christmas morning special, the rest of the year we had home produced orange variety.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2017 07:24

...the Twiglets are here - and they're hidden :-|

We do not mention the Twiglets.
Children and Grandchildren can sniff them out at 100 yards.
Granny has 'forgotten' to buy Twiglets.
Oh dear - what a shame.

Understand?

The lemon and orange slices - were they Newberry Fruits or something similar?
So pleased I no longer have to pretend to like them!! :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Nov 2017 08:06

Newberry Fruits - wonderful!

And marzipan fruits. My Nain's favourites. Pops loved sugared almonds and I was once severely told off for taking a few and just sucking off the coating and throwing the almonds away.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Nov 2017 08:36

Maggie

The orange and lemon slices were not the same as Newberry fruits, which I believe had a liquid centre.
The slices were thin and probably cheaper.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2017 09:06

In that case, Gwyn - they're probably nice :-D

Newberry fruits though - yuk!

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Nov 2017 11:02

a reminder lol, other brands are available, lemon & orange slices, I never liked them but someone always sent them :-)

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/072/4897029181072/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Nov 2017 12:53

OH has saved Christmas!

He went into Iceland for me and came home with two tubs of cheese footballs. This was after I had rung Fred's mate and asked him to get some!

Christmas was a box of Niger dates, but we didn't pronounce it like that in those days, a ring of figs (yum yum), those candied figs, a jar of stem ginger and a box of Turkish (which I thought was turkey's) Delight.

Mustn't forget the in shell nuts that nobody ate. My mother (mad as a hatter) once brought them out for a second year.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2017 15:03

...I may have to try cheese footballs..... :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2017 20:45

Newbury fruits, yuk.