General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Window shopping the glitzy Christmas goods...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nyx

Nyx Report 28 Nov 2017 19:27

and luxuries and what did I come back with from the shops today?

A radiator brush, kitchen scourers and some bees wax lol.

The brush got a few odd looks as I carried it through the centre, looks somewhat like a very minimalist, very thin, bendy Christmas tree :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Nov 2017 22:01

Have just had my Christmas delivery from Tesco. You can tell it is the Christmas one because there is a jar of cranberry sauce included.

Sadly, my Christmas has been entirely spoilt. They could not supply the tub of cheese footballs!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2017 22:04

Can you still get those and do they still taste the same?

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Nov 2017 22:07

My dad used to love those, would sit and munch them for hours it seemed

Nyx

Nyx Report 28 Nov 2017 22:11

I've seen them in Iceland, and Sainsburys.

For us it used to be a jar of pickled walnuts that signalled Christmas, that and a box of dates lol.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2017 22:54

I already have a radiator brush - grossly underused - the thought of decorating it for Christmas has a lot of appeal. :-D

I'm sorry, but cheese footballs sound gross.

For me, it's cheeselets, and, If I'm a very lucky bunny, Marmite Chocolate! :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Nov 2017 22:56

As for the cheese footballs, evidently not!

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Nov 2017 22:56

As for the cheese footballs, evidently not!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Nov 2017 23:43

My friend has just bought her granddaughter some Marmite chocolate in the shape of a large jar of Marmite. It comes in a box and looks really good.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2017 00:52

dates in a box, with the plastic "pick", and the first mandarin oranges appearing in the stores

you can still buy them like that :-)

never heard of cheese footballs!

nor Marmite chocolate .... yuck!!!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Nov 2017 05:11

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Twiglets yet.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Nov 2017 07:12

Twiglets ..... a definite favourite here !

Tangerines in picture tissue wrapping meant Christmas of my childhood was imminent.

A box of lemon and orange jelly slices would be on the sideboard next to a large sharing packet of pink and white marshmallow sweets.

A jar of mango chutney was bought to go with Boxing Day lunch. The rest of the year we relied on and enjoyed Mum's homemade chutney.

Roses lime marmalade was a Christmas morning special, the rest of the year we had home produced orange variety.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2017 07:24

...the Twiglets are here - and they're hidden :-|

We do not mention the Twiglets.
Children and Grandchildren can sniff them out at 100 yards.
Granny has 'forgotten' to buy Twiglets.
Oh dear - what a shame.

Understand?

The lemon and orange slices - were they Newberry Fruits or something similar?
So pleased I no longer have to pretend to like them!! :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Nov 2017 08:06

Newberry Fruits - wonderful!

And marzipan fruits. My Nain's favourites. Pops loved sugared almonds and I was once severely told off for taking a few and just sucking off the coating and throwing the almonds away.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Nov 2017 08:36

Maggie

The orange and lemon slices were not the same as Newberry fruits, which I believe had a liquid centre.
The slices were thin and probably cheaper.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2017 09:06

In that case, Gwyn - they're probably nice :-D

Newberry fruits though - yuk!

Nyx

Nyx Report 29 Nov 2017 11:02

a reminder lol, other brands are available, lemon & orange slices, I never liked them but someone always sent them :-)

https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/072/4897029181072/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Nov 2017 12:53

OH has saved Christmas!

He went into Iceland for me and came home with two tubs of cheese footballs. This was after I had rung Fred's mate and asked him to get some!

Christmas was a box of Niger dates, but we didn't pronounce it like that in those days, a ring of figs (yum yum), those candied figs, a jar of stem ginger and a box of Turkish (which I thought was turkey's) Delight.

Mustn't forget the in shell nuts that nobody ate. My mother (mad as a hatter) once brought them out for a second year.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2017 15:03

...I may have to try cheese footballs..... :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2017 20:45

Newbury fruits, yuk.