General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Heritage/DNA

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Dec 2017 12:20

Just a thought...
As I turned 80 over the weekend, one of my Birthday surprises, from my grandchildren, was the DNA test thingy...
My paternal g grandfather claims to be from Antwerp circa 1854...
I've never been curious enough to go for it...but the deed is now done...LOL
any one had any surprises from this kind of test? pleasant, or otherwise?

Bob

Fly

Fly Report 5 Dec 2017 12:39

Happy Belated Birthday Bob <3do let us know the outcome :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Dec 2017 12:44

Happy Birthday, Bob!!

My nephew had it done - it was mainly as expected:
40.6% Northern & Western European
50.2% Irish, Scottish and Welsh (his dad was Irish, our side Cornish)
Then - 9.2% Italian :-S

So, he got a test for his mum (my sister), to see where this Italian bit came from.
66% Northern & Western European
32% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
1.2% Iberian

Intrigued, I got mine done:
47.1% Northern & Western European
43.4% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
9.5% Iberian

I haven't found any Irish Scottish or Welsh on our side - but have traced dad's side back a long way - 17th century for 2 families - all Cornish - and Celtic

So, my sister and I have the same 'elements' - but in different percentages - and Nephew's Italian is probably from his dad :-D

As a child, I was a few shades darker than my sister (more Celtic and Iberian) :-D

There's a chance the Cornish and Iberian elements are linked too - by the much unheard of Barbary Slave trade.
Interesting short article here:
http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Barbary-Pirates-English-Slaves/

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Dec 2017 13:55

well, with a maternal grandfather that was an Evans..I should expect some welsh ingredients maybe...

Annx

Annx Report 5 Dec 2017 19:24

Hope you had a happy 80th Bob! I got mine done a couple of years ago (Ancestry).

48% Ireland,Scotland Wales
28% Europe West
13% Scandinavia
10% Great Britain

There was rumour and speculation (I discovered in my 60s from an elderly aunt weeks before she died in her 90s) that there may be question mark as to whether my grandfather was my actual biological grandfather. Apparently, (news to me), my grandmother, who had my mother at age 50, had left my grandfather when my mother was born to go and live with another man for several years before returning home. It was wondered who had fathered my mother? After following up one of my DNA matches following the DNA test, I discovered that the ancestors we had in common were brothers, one being my grandfather's father, so in a way that proved who my grandfather really was!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Dec 2017 19:41

Belated Birthday Wishes Bob..hope you had a fab day <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Dec 2017 10:08

Happy birthday Bob. Hope it was a good one. <3 <3

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 6 Dec 2017 13:50

Happy belated birthday Bob

Good for you - its an eye opener - i had ours done as it was my OH 65th this year

All my family tree so far are all South of Englad - look what my DNA showed

Cant get in tot he site at the moment - but its basic

46% Europe West
21% Great Britain
4% other

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Dec 2017 14:06

I did mine through Ancestry
I thought the female side was more difficult but mine showed the largest percentage was the german side
My paternal grandfather was german
His mothers name was Maria marteus which isn't German name .so she may have been born Germany of scandavian descent

My DNA showed this too!!!

My nearest cousin showed as a match and we are already in contact
My maternal grandfathers mum was born in 1852,and this contact is descended from one of her brothers
Another contact was through my mums maternal side
The lady was a widow when she married my male ancestor in 1845 and one of their sons was my maternal grans father
That contact was from the ladies first marriage

Sooooo the DNA test really does work

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Dec 2017 15:18

I'm finding 'My Heritage' quite funny at the moment.
I have a very small tree on there - my nephew is increasing his - through information I'm giving him, and 'My Heritage' keep e-mailing me about 'great new breakthroughs'!

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 7 Dec 2017 22:46

Dear Bob

Hello

Fancy keeping that a secret from your GR friends and colleagues!

A belated but very happy birthday to you.
May you have many good times to cherish, good health and peace.

Take gentle care
With best wishes to you and your family,
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Dec 2017 22:56

Happy belated birthday Bob.i also had my birthday on the 4th, not sure what date yours was though...fellow saggitarians :-) :-) :-)

I have thought about this DNA thing too but not yet decided whether to get it done. My gg grandfather was maltese.well supposedly so I guess I'm a little maltesa! mum and her side have all very sallow skin so look "continental" especially in the summer months.
Dads side I think are all from the north of England, but you never know what the result would show up!

Florence
in the hebrides

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Dec 2017 06:06

Belated 80th birthday greetings Bob.

I want to get my dna done and see where my roots are. I'd like to get o.h's done too as I am sure he is descended from Irish tinkers lol

Lizxx

Joy

Joy Report 8 Dec 2017 16:47

Belated happy birthday 30th November.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Dec 2017 21:19

thank you Joy, spot on with the date....

yes Liz, Florence61, who knows what skellingbones might come out of the closet....(or Pandoras' box!!

actually there was a small gathering on the Thursday, Me, Jean, our son n Dil, my brother and his wife had midday "afternoon tea"...then orf to Wakefield Friday for a larger gathering,( MY clan on Saturday......) 4 generations....

Annx

Annx Report 8 Dec 2017 21:45

Liz, the greatest concentration of my OH's surname is in Ireland, so I thought he would have a lot of Irish DNA, but guess who had double the Irish DNA he has and didn't know she had any at all.....me!! :-) :-) :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Dec 2017 01:01

Bob, I hope you will enjoy your family get together this weekend.

Lol Annx

Lizx

Joy

Joy Report 9 Dec 2017 14:34

Same as mine, Bob :)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Dec 2017 15:31

Joy,
My brain cells are letting me down, I used to know more or less who was who on here,
but lately ....."err"???

hope your day went well..

Liz
you mis-understood me, the gathering was last week but yes a most enjoyable weekend...

Elizabeth,EoS thank you..
Bob

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Dec 2017 20:50

Oops, silly me, Bob. I am glad you enjoyed your celebrations.

Florence, my son's half Maltese. Although he is very like my maternal side of the family. he also has some facial features of his Maltese grandmother, like his cheekbones, and thick hair like his dad.

O.h. just agreed to pay for both our dna tests if I arrange them. Now do I go with My Heritage at £45 or Ancestry at £71? I am not a member of either.

Lizxx