General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jeez it's cold out there

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Dec 2017 15:02

I live in Kent on the Medway side and it's usually a mild part of Kent

The South Downs do shelter us from rain etc

I decided I have to go out just to get me out and to post some cards via the post office to relatives abroad, Went out around 12.30 pm hopefully to miss the queues in the local post office area of a local convenience shop

Blimey it was cold with a cold wind . The car said 5 degrees I had problems with the digit finger on my right hand going white and being very uncomfortable.its the second time this has happened
Had problem diallling in my pin when I did a shop

Glad to get home to my warm house.Dont think I will be venturing far now

:-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Dec 2017 15:47

I lived in Canterbury for three years, my uncle in Herne Bay and my cousins in Chatham. ex worked in Sheppey. I can remember the ice and shovelling snow did not notice any mild winter weather. 5C is not very cold anyway.

I really loved living there inc Jack Frost.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Dec 2017 15:52

I've just been out to rescue "really not my cat" who spent the night in here but went out this morning, he was crying piteously by next door's garage but couldn't manage to wade through the snow to get to the door.

We have had about 4 inches of snow and on and off all day so cats just sink ( as did I lol). But I love it :-) proper snow <3

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Dec 2017 16:01

i have a video from winter past of shaggy snr cat stuck in the snow while waterproof shiny jnr cat threw snow at him. It was v funny but snr had to be rescued then dumped his act on my warm dry Levis in revenge. Jnr just larfed.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Dec 2017 16:18

Well we moved to Rainham in the 1960,s
BIL moved to Herne Bay but his marriage broke up and he divorced.
He got custody of his kids cos his mum and dad moved in with him to look after his kids

They made a home for him and his kidsand we spent many happy family Christmases with them at sea street Herne Bay
In laws lived with my BIL till both died in the 1980's

We never had weather problems getting to the in laws

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2017 16:28

Shirley, not even the snow in 1963 which lasted until Easter, or the Jan 1987 snow? That one blocked the A2/M2 for days & isolated some of islands on the Medway. Mind you, if you’re only referring to Christmas, you’re right about that.

The air temperature may be above freezing but the wind chill factor really cuts through.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Dec 2017 16:53

We moved to Kent in sept 1967 a day after our daughters 9th birthday and was living
in south east London till then

Was easier then to get to work in Blackfriars London

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Dec 2017 17:20

A bitter wind down by the Channel coast too.

I saw the brilliant sunshine and had no idea it was so bitterly cold, when I ventured to the Post Office.

At least it was dry today, not like bleak and miserable yesterday.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 8 Dec 2017 17:55

I haven't seen many brass monkeys about today! :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 Dec 2017 18:30

The Channel coast in winter always puts me in mind of this:

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
With a cargo of Tyne coal,
Road-rails, pig-lead,
Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbQ0qwQwuk

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2017 19:21

it's been foggy and 4C to 5C for the last 3 days here

we think it's warm :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Dec 2017 21:40

Yes I do remember one unusual time when we had a big snowfall and the trains didn't run was probably the 1987 one
I worked in London and couldn't get to work all week
They salted the roads but the cul de sac at the back of the house was very deep in snow so you couldn't get the garage doors open or drive out

We were running out of milk and bread and hubby decided to try to walk to the shops to get some. One neighbor decided to get everyone out to dig out the clue de sac to get access but hubby wasn't home which was a bit like we were copping out

But he came back in time and helped

He lost money not getting to work

I had to take the week as holiday

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Dec 2017 22:58

Darned cold in Winchester :-|

I live on a hill- the wind blasted away.
The high street in town - just a wind tunnel :-| :-|

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Dec 2017 09:14

Rollo

I was introduced to those words set to music, when in junior school and our class tuned in to Singing Together on the radio.
I still remember most of them.

There are a lot of very distinct variations in weather within just a few miles around here.
Near the sea and south of the higher ground, they usually escape the worst of the snow. Just over the brow of the hill, maybe 2 miles away it could be piled up high, where people have cleared a route through.

Brilliant sunshine today. I haven't been out yet............

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Dec 2017 09:52

We moved to East Kent in the 70's from west London.

I was working in Dover and thought the locals had gone completely mad when they panicked about 1 flake of snow. ( How was I to know that you couldn't get up the hills when it snowed).

I also thought it odd that the farmers were doing their fencing in the middle of winter - I soon learnt what snow fences were!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Dec 2017 10:15

Its Baltic here in the north east Even the ponds frozen over solid

When I lived in Kent your Winters where like our Spring
I only wore my coat twice in a year down there

I have it on everyday here :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Dec 2017 10:24

Joy, that’s why we’re called Soft Suvverners :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Dec 2017 15:28

Joy

MY OH went to college in the North East and found Kent to be much colder Never wore a coat up there , wore a heavy winter coat in East Kent.

He always reckoned that there was a spot in Ramsgate where, if you looked in the right direction, the nearest landfall was Spitzbergen. He never got around to proving it but is was a very , very, verrry coooooold spot.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Dec 2017 16:45

Rollo that took me back to when we sang that when I was in a choir, I can't remember which choir, it could have been school or Sunday school, I shall be singing it in my head now. (best it stays there as I doubt I could reach the top notes these days!)

I remember the snow of 1947 and 1963. 47 I walked to school, normally a bus journey and the schools did not close. '63 I pushed my daughter in her big pram to the shops through the snow. OH had to fight his way to work down snowbound country roads, The RN would not accept snow as a reason for not getting there.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Dec 2017 17:06

Namelessone- not sure about the Spitsbergen viability, but weird things do happen with mobile phone signals.

Although it may have changed now, you soon learned to turn your phone off at Joss Bay. (That’s near Broadstairs.) If you forgot, you’d receive a text message welcoming you to a Belgium network. :-S