General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE NEW BLUE PASSPORTS

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 22 Dec 2017 22:37

Who will be changing their passports from red to blue we leave the EU or will you just wait for it to run out?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2017 22:47

At the current fee of £72.50 I’ll be waiting for 10 years until the current one expires!
Mind you, we might be too infirm by then.

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Dec 2017 23:12

I'm getting married in June 2019 so in all likelihood my first passport as Mrs Owl will be blue.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Dec 2017 23:14

Mine needs renewing in January.
I don't care what colour it is - is this as far as May's got in the Brexit deals? :-S

It's going to cost the country £490 million.

Apparently so much more important than the homeless, those using food banks etc :-|

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Dec 2017 01:21

Another crazy situation Maggie

Obviously it will be hugely expensive to change every passport unless we wait for the time of renewal, and considering the problems sometimes when there is a backlog of applications, might hold things up even more.

Lizxx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Dec 2017 01:41

delusional

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Dec 2017 06:34

It will just the new ones issued from that date

I only renewed mine last year so it's unlikely I will be getting a blue one

Can't see me travelling abroad when I am 90 !!!!

Linda

Linda Report 23 Dec 2017 08:40

Mine is renewed in 2023 so I will Waite until then just wanted to know what people thought about it

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Dec 2017 09:18

Shirley, you just never know!

I once travelled back from Oz with a Scottish lady in her nineties who had been visiting her son in Oz. She changed planes at Bahrain to get a smaller one elsewhere in the Gulf as she was staying with another son there for Christmas before heading home in January.

Lovely, lively, sweet lady she was. Alas, she left her coat on our plane and it was handed in to the air crew with her name, destination and home town. I do hope it was returned to her but I'll never know.

She'll be long gone now as this was in the eighties.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Dec 2017 09:23

Possibly by 2023 you will have sorted out your grammar and spelling.
The blue passport was mandated by the League of Nations in 1920. Other than the colour the UK will have no future control of its passport design at all. Control will be with the EU and the USA as now. The UK passport will not return to its former inconvenient large format. The UK is giving up its vote on this as on 1001 other matters.
What a load of wallies.
:-P

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Dec 2017 09:30

Why delusional, Rollo?
The printing contract is due to expire in 2019. Assuming we have left the EU by then, the UK can’t legitimately use the current wording including European Union on new passports.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Dec 2017 09:33

Rollo, tut tut - it's the season of goodwill doncha know :-D

This load of wallies ...... remind me again, which country do you live in? :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2017 09:59

Rollo - remember, before you judge someone, make sure you're perfect.

May I remind you of the time you tried to 'educate' us on the use of the 'apostrophy' - that was your spelling. :-S

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 23 Dec 2017 10:11

Rollo,
We know you are bodily in the British Isles but your mind is and always will be with the EU.

And thats just from your posts on GR.

Linda

Linda Report 23 Dec 2017 10:32

I was half asleep when I last made a comment we are not all perfect Rollo but I will not take offence I do try my best most of the time.

I wish you a very happy christmas :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Dec 2017 12:53

One of the most irritating ( and dangerous ) traits that Brexiters share is a messianic knowledge that the whole of the rest of the country are on board with their delusional project and if not they will soon "get behind T May" thereby avoiding being categorised as "traitors" by the Daily Mail.

That the brexit camp can obsess over such trivialities as passport colour underlines the shallowness and ignorance of their arguments. As it happens through membership of the EU the UK has had a significant input into the design of the current EU passport which is a high tech document with many security features. Going forward the EU and USA will decide such matters without any input from the UK, Brexiters will be able admire the colour though and play with their Crayola,

Just how T May is going to meet her undertakins about the Irish border and keep Northern Ireland within the UK is as clear as mud. Maybe the passport will be blue but on the cover refer to a less than united kingdom,

Sadly the conditions of a perfect storm are being whipped up. The grim forecasts of "the Ministry of Fear" are coming true with brexit on track to cost the UK far more than the now forgotten boost to the NHS.

The winter panic for the NHS is not just a matter of finance, EU medical staff are leaving by the bus load while recruitment is near zero. The letest polling puts "Remain" on 55%. I do not myself expect any deviation from the road to hell which is brexit not even when the sky falls in as it will. I have other options and will take them. My family got well stu fed at Naseby I see no reason to repeat the experience.

When it all goes pear shaped the blame game will start and could get very nasty. At least the brexiters will have the comfort of a local passport for a local country. Will B&Q now stock "passport blue" paint for the true believers?

My UK passport expired about three months ago but I have others. I'll get it renewed in the New Year safe in the knowledge that I shall not have to join the slow queue at AMS Schiphol for at least 10 years.

For those who help in slimming down the UK's ever widening balance of payments gap by selling services to the EU (rather than murder weapons to the Saudis) there is a smidgen of good news. The EU Parliament wish to offer a EU passport to UK residents in the EU which would confer full Schengen rights except of course travel to/from the UK. Usual colour though.

Cry the beloved country.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2017 12:58

Well, at least two spelling mistakes and no punctuation!! :-\

It needs some commas.
A comma is a punctuation mark that appears in several variants in different languages. It has the same shape as an apostrophe or single closing quotation mark in many typefaces, but it differs from them in being placed on the baseline of the text.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Dec 2017 13:32

Rollo before you judge make sure a) that you are perfect with your own spelling and grammar and b) More importantly, that you know whether or not the person writing has any disabilities or problems such as dyslexia etc. People once upset somebody on here by judging their spelling and it came out that they were only just learning to read and trying hard to join in. (the person is no longer on GR). And also there is absolutely no need to be judgemental and rude.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Dec 2017 13:40

Blue's the color of the sky
In the mornin', when we rise
That's the time, that's the time
I love the best

Freedom is a word I rarely use
Without thinkin', mm hmm
Without thinkin', uh huh
Of the time, of the time
When I've been loved

Blue's the color of the sky
That's the time, that's the time
I love the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O87fFRizZY

Why are you so sure that I do not have any disabilties?
My grandfather is the only person I knew who got through extended exposure to heavy metal in a war zone without a scratch.
I have never used them as an excuse for anything.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2017 13:47

Rollo asks: "Why are you so sure that I do not have any disabilties?"
You obviously do - a lack of empathy and a feeling of superiority.

Detracting by mentioning your Grandfather - yes, he may be the only person I knew who got through extended exposure to heavy metal in a war zone without a scratch - but perhaps you don't know many people.

Remember:
“The self-righteous scream judgments against others to hide the noise of skeletons dancing in their own closets.”