General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slack

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 11 Jan 2018 10:27

Has anyone else joined up?

I have and just trying to find my way around. :-)

P.S.......I am confused already!

:-S

Fly

Fly Report 11 Jan 2018 10:30

I only got a blank screen :-( will try again later :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 11 Jan 2018 10:43

I just read.......

"You can talk to yourself here, but please bear in mind you'll have to supply both sides of the conversation."

Orf to have a chat wiv meself >>>>>>

:-D

Fly

Fly Report 11 Jan 2018 10:48

:-D :-D :-D :-D Prickles have fun :-0

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2018 12:12

I have joined too & had a look around, and tried a post on 'Middlesex' :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Jan 2018 12:37

Slack is primarily for use by business, organisations, campaign groups of one sort and another. There is a bit of a trend to use it as a P2P cient in the style of FB but imho most such users will rapidly fnd themselves out of their depth. It is only free to a point.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jan 2018 12:55

I did have a look but didn't have time to do anything. Can't really see the point unless GR disapears.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2018 13:25

Good luck to Estelle anyway :-) I think it's quite difficult to get the impetus going on new FH sites now, with FB pages 'competing'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jan 2018 16:45

:-S :-S :-S ???

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Jan 2018 16:56

I got halfway through signing up but I won't sign up to anything these days without reading the "terms and conditions". Unfortunately the terms and conditions were just too long winded and complicated for me so I didn't go any further.

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2018 17:16

I notice that when looking at the list of members, even when you have selected a 'display name' your full name can be seen, that might not be something everyone is comfortable with?

Have just changed mine to omit full surname, so it is easily done if you don't want it to show. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Jan 2018 17:49

Slack is not a FB competitor.
Most of the users are using it in a work context as members of private channels where real names are the norm unless your work is with Breaking Bad or McMafia of course.
It is a terrific biz tool which has caught on very fast giving the company a valuation of over $ 1 billion. I guess they are a bit more on the ball than GR.
All the same using it for Jack and Jills everyday P2P is not really where Slack is at.
Professional use is not free unfortunately.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Jan 2018 18:14

I didn't mean to suggest it was Rollo ;-)

Just that there are so many FB genealogy pages already 'competing' to offer help and advice that a new site or group faces something of an uphill struggle to get started :-)

I can see that Slack would be very useful in a work context, and within a work place it's likely that your colleagues know your name anyway, but as several people have mentioned in the past on here they don't want strangers knowing their 'full' name I thought I'd mention it :-)

It is of course almost ridiculously easy to find people on FB etc if you apply your time and a little effort to it ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jan 2018 14:43

Sometimes, it doesn't take much effort at all ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jan 2018 15:02

Very true Maggie :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jan 2018 18:54

Doesn't necessarily have to be on FB or social media either....

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jan 2018 19:03

Well it's what we do here isn't it, find people :-D

But by and large it's when asked to try and do so.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jan 2018 19:04

True! :-D
Not sure some of our ancestors would be happy about what we find though!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jan 2018 19:07

Slack channels are by their nature are usually private.
It is a software tool designed for team communication. Although its roots are in business it can be and is used for political campaigns, projects from building and engineering to family history collaboration.

It is a key feature of Slack that it can be inegrated with other software. At one time GR was heading towards someting much more radical but it was dropped.

Here is one guy's solution.
At a guess it is not an approach which would appeal to most GR users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVqAbBktwnk

Anyway Slack is def. not some form of chat board. It has two or three serious competitors notab;y Flock.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jan 2018 19:34

Nope that doesn't appeal Rollo :-) I prefer my bits of paper lol.

Off topic but I have just found what might be a secret, regarding a friend's tree, and wonder if she knows or not.. I suspect not so I will keep shtum .

That's what happens when a site mistranscribes mmn and gives first name as Allah when it should be Allan :-S