General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paper refuse in your area. another UPDATE. 24TH

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Jan 2018 18:23

Would like to know what your council does with any paper/cardboard boxes.

The council where I live says they cannot take shredded paper like bills with your name and address on it.
Like bank statements and utility bills.

Does your council refuse to take shredded paper ie bank statements.

Update.

The latest charges for moving rubbish.

We already get charged minimum £25 for picking up odd pieces of IE furniture.

Now they are going to charge us for NON REGULAR HOUSEHOLD WASTE taking rubbish to the recycling centres.

Which comes into force on the 5th February 2018

The charges are for any type of rubbish including Rubble,Plasterboard,Tyres and soil.

Range for the charges are example..

1 Single Tyre £1-50

TO AN

Trailer of Plasterboard £81.60

A guide of charges can be found at

www.leeds.gov.uk/recycling
And these charges are after we pay full council tax for 3 bins.
Black for household waste..
Green bin for paper and cardboard and brown bin for garden waste.

Leeds city council are getting tight fisted.
Another update to the sequel of rubbish

Was called today by a manager of refuse.

He told me all the rubbish in the black and green bins would be taken today.
They are going to burn the lot for cheap electricity who for I have no idea.

He told me that shredded paper had to be put in the Black bin and not in the brown (garden)or Green (recycle) bins.

So he apologised for the attitude from the refuse collector. and he said that he would find out who he was.

So now we have that cleared up.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 17 Jan 2018 18:28

Ello from sunny Donny. Our council takes shredded stuff so no problem here. Only paper they dont take is Christmas wrapping paper

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Jan 2018 18:31

My council have emailed me to say I contaminated my recycle bin with shredded paper.
So I am going to ring all the councillors for this village and see what they say.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Jan 2018 18:35

Ours will only take shredded paper if it is bagged up and then it is a maximum of three at a time

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Jan 2018 18:41

Mine was bagged and it was a small bag,

It's annoying as When I worked for the council(37yrs) Peopke weren't allowed to put named/addressed paper in the bin .
It was a breach of privacy. but now they have changed their minds .

Von

Von Report 17 Jan 2018 18:45

My council will take shredded paper in our recycling bag. They suggest about a carrier bags worth at any one time.
You can add it to your compost heap if you have one. ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2018 19:19

They will take shredded paper here, bagged in a paper bag, though I also put some in our compost bin from time to time.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Jan 2018 19:26

There is of course the option of not having paper statements at all often with the bonus of a small bonus of around £ 3 / month.

Not having paper statements saves all the trouble of opening them, reading them and then filing or disposing of them.

It is 2018.

When did you last use (a ) a typewriter ( b ) a fax machine ( c ) a fountain pen ?
So why expect the banks et al to generate copy statements in the spirit of the C19?

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Jan 2018 19:48

I get bank statements quarterly, having a paper copy is useful for the occasions when an 'original' of paperwork is needed.

Some paperwork is inevitable, council tax bills ( one to say they'll be sending them soon, one the bill itself, the follow up bill because the first one was wrongly calculated lol plus the 'extra' bits of paper for reporting change of circumstance. . Better never to shred those, so you have the proof needed when they have mistaken you for the person a few doors down who by the most unlikely of chances has your surname :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Jan 2018 19:53

I too have some paper statements for the very reason that Nyx states and of course technology breaks down or is only as good as the person who programmes it

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2018 19:56

There are, of course, drawback to paperless statements and bills:

Emails can also get lost or deleted: the method of delivery doesn't change the risk of human error

Limited historical records: the majority of companies only hold information for a few years before is is destroyed/deleted. There is also no guarantee that the company holding all your important data will be free of technological breakdown, resulting in massive amounts of data being lost

Security:Research indicates that more ID Theft takes place from digital sources than paper sources. Viruses can corrupt data or send your information to unknown third parties

Environment: Although trees are saved, servers and computers need electricity, which is typically produced by non-environmentally friendly methods

Easier to forget bills: Unless you receive several reminders, you may not keep on top of important bills. Sticking your bill on the fridge or leaving it in a safe place can jog your memory on sight

Delayed credit applications: Many lenders ask for proof of ID, such as original bank or credit card statements. Ordering a physical copy from the bank can be a lengthy process, taking several weeks
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe, if you run a firm you have to keep accounts for 5 years.
Better, in order, in a file, than online, at risk of being lost, accidently deleted, or even hacked into.
Also, there's a chance your accountant will want paper copies. If you're 'paperless', you can have the expense of printing them off, rather than the firm who sent them to you.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Jan 2018 20:08

some councils wont recycle pizza boxes, on the grounds that they can be greasy/contaminated...so they need to go in the rubbish bin...

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 17 Jan 2018 20:17

Our council takes shredded paper but not in the recycling bin; we have to put it in a bag with the general waste. We wait till we have about a dustbin bag full and take it to the local tip where they put it in with the cardboard.

Our council isn’t one of the best where recycling is concerned. They won’t take glass at all so bottles, jars etc have to be taken to a bottle bank which is tough if you are a distance from one and you don’t drive. They also have no separate provision for food waste. They did try a scheme whereby textiles could be put in special bags on top of the recycling bin but that didn’t last long before they withdrew it :-(

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Jan 2018 20:48

Thanks everyone for your input.

Our council don't take glass either.we have to walk 2 miles to nearest glass containers.
So I horde the jars until I have a small suitcase full.
Being disabled that is the only way I can get the jars to the containers.

As for the Shredded paper I am going to start putting it in the Brown garden bin so it will compost on it's own.

And this is what I pay full council tax for.just to walk 2 miles to get rid of the glass.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jan 2018 20:49

We can put shredding in the recycling bin but small amounts wrapped in newspaper apparently large amount clog the machinery

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2018 20:59

Our council doesn't have a glass collection either.
It was suggested that we who don't drive around here (including the elderly who used to drive) should walk half a mile to the nearest car park with a bottle bank.
Then they built on the car park - ironically, private, expensive 'care' flats for those over 55.
The dump is over a mile away.

No-one has suggested where we lug heavy glass now - but then, the Council also believe a 'Sunday' bus service (one an hour from 07:45 to 18:15) is adequate for our area - as Park & Ride buses regularly travel (mainly empty) every 7 to 15 minutes, along a road half a mile away!! Oh - and they cost more for 'foot' passengers than the 'normal' buses - even though they're run by the same firm!

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Jan 2018 21:46

Shredded paper in bags only so it doesn't blow everywhere on collection day!

Use a fountain pen any time I need to sign anything but then I'm old fashioned it's nicer than biro though. :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Jan 2018 21:50

I love writing letters to family and friends with fountain pen. I never type them out it is too impersonal but I do all the business ones on the computer

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2018 22:57

...I talk to my girls on Facebook (private messenger), it's good to have a 3 way conversation :-D
Everyone else - I phone.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jan 2018 22:59

It's about time things were standardised across the country. When we go away and rent a house the rules are always different. Sometimes we end up bringing stuff home to recycle.

O.h. burns his paperwork and receipts in a tin and then puts the ash in the compost bin. I tear stuff into small pieces and soak in water before putting the mush in the compost.

Lizx