General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This made me chuckle.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Feb 2018 14:50

We often have tinned fruit with tinned milk for pudding but one of the household found a stone in his portion of tinned apricot, now he hates tinned apricots and won’t have them, is this a child? Well sort of he is 62 :-( I still it up to him and if he doesn’t eat it then I do and he goes without :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2018 14:55

I always offer two choices. Yes, that or whistle!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Feb 2018 15:18

:-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Feb 2018 23:26

When we asked mum what was for dinner she would say bread and pullet

She had a wealth of sayings that seemed to be Londoner sayings

When asked where was something she would say up in nannys room behind the clock

One though that was probably only her was when she was exasperated with us and she would say " for gawds sake PO "

When asked what PO was she would say Post Office !!!

Was always a puzzle what post office had to do with it

Took yonks as an adult to realise what she actually meant !!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2018 23:36

Pickled eels feet and herring's eyebrows.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Feb 2018 00:03

When either my mother or her mother were asked what was to eat, they would both reply ...............

a run and a jump up the pantry door

:-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 19 Feb 2018 00:59

My mother's reply was

"larks' legs on toast"

:-D :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Feb 2018 10:58

My mother's was

"Stewed bugs and onions"

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2018 12:21

Shirley my mum was Hampshire born and bred as was my father. Both would answer bread and pullet. My Dad was RN so I thought it might be one of the sayings from there.

and they would also say up in Nanny's room behind the clock as well.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Feb 2018 13:35

Down the galley on a plate.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 19 Feb 2018 15:09

My Mum was a Londoner and we grew up with bread and pullet, usually followed by wait-and-see pudding. When we asked where anything was we were told it was “‘anging on the ‘ook in the ‘all”.

The OP reminded me of a time, many years ago, when my late mil saw her daughter buying an avocado. Next time she shopped she decided to buy one too. Got it home, peeled it and cut it into slices, thought “that’s not enough for pudding” so she mixed it with tinned mandarin oranges and poured evaporated milk over :-D. May be that’s how new dishes get invented.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 19 Feb 2018 22:40

Had some tinned fruit and some carnation milk few weeks back. The milk didnt seem to taste as good as when I a kid

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Feb 2018 22:47

I used to love evap but, last time I had some on a pudd'n, I decided I wouldn't bother any more.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Feb 2018 00:36

SuffolkVera ..............

we used to be told " 'anging on the 'anger in the 'all"

I'm from Lancashire, but OH also says that and he's from Cheshire

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Feb 2018 06:49

Mum was born in Wales, but moved to Hampshire on marriage.

We were also told, "Bread and pullet" sometimes she added to the phrase with "step and fetch it"

Sometimes we'd be told "Cheese and onion - Hot dinner and no cooking".

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Feb 2018 19:21

I was from Lancs as well Sylvia and we got ....2 jumps at the cupboard door...very similar to you!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 Feb 2018 22:27

I’ve started having tinned milk in tea again cos it’s lovely, he thinks it’s disgusting :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Feb 2018 23:30

He is right though. Bleh!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Feb 2018 20:21

My grandfather used to have very strng tea with evaporated milk in it

yuk!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Feb 2018 07:00

My son's Nanna in Malta always served evaporated milk to put in tea, never fresh milk.

We always had tinned fruit and evaporated milk for Sunday tea but Mum called it unsweetened millk as opposed to sweetened milk which was her name for condensed milk.

My friend's Mum, a Londoner, used to say 'bread and pull-it', my Norfolk Mum would say 'fresh air sandwiches', and it was always 'up in Nellie's room behind the clock' from Dad, from Buckinghamshire, if we couldn't find something lol

Lizxx