General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thieving little ***s

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 13:09

I am so cross I just went out in the garden because I realised something was not quite 'right' and felt the same yesterday when I was out there briefly but didn't know why and I have just found that the garden chair ( plastic at least 10 years old ) that has been there since we moved in has gone :-(

I don't sit out often but the cats do, and shelter under it if it rains. It was faded green and just 'fitted in'.

:-| :-| :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Mar 2018 13:52

They must have needed it as badly as the bloke we saw legging it with a gallon can of water from the back of our car.

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Mar 2018 14:02

In our area, if an old chair has been stolen it's often to use to break into a neighbouring house.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 14:05

Caroline, the one plus is that I doubt it would take anyone's weight standing on it, they'd have done better taking the bins that are out the front of most houses to stand on if breaking in.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 14:09

I know it probably sounds trivial, it was 'just a chair' but it's just really the final straw in a long line of final straws.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2018 14:18

No not trivial Rose. Somebody has violated your private space. Is your garden easily accessible from the road?

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 14:31

Ann, the back gardens of all this row have an access 'alley' between the garden and the play park behind, it's only about 2 ft wide and blocked at the one end so no one really uses it except for water co' to read water meters. You do sometimes get children down it, running up and down but mostly only to retrieve balls from the park, which has a 6ft mesh fence.

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Mar 2018 14:47

In that case, the second reason to take chairs is to take to the park.

Sharron maybe he thought it was vodka or something or he was really thirsty!

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 15:02

D's just done a walk around the area, nothing in the park no broken bits anywhere, nothing in the hedges or nearby house gardens, so I am less inclined to think it was a random pick up by kids, usually anything they take to the park remains there, especially their rubbish.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2018 16:28

Maybe it was to complete a set!

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 16:42

I've never seen another like it Ann so maybe it just appealed to someone.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2018 16:47

If it had been outside in all weathers for at least 10 years, whoever took it might get a nasty surprise if they sit on it and the seat gives way.
They do go brittle after a while.

No matter, it was YOUR chair and nobody had the right to take it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 17:06

Gwyn, all the ones I've had in the past have gone brittle, but typically this is one that was particularly solid and comfortable...and it had roses on the back lol. The cats are looking very put out too!

Iris

Iris Report 12 Mar 2018 17:13

Nyx,
some people will take anything, we had our rotary clothes line taken from our back garden a few years ago .

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Mar 2018 17:20

Iris, I hope it didn't have the clothes on at the time! Not fair though is it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Mar 2018 19:14

Sorry to hear this, Rose!

We had our cabin broken into, twice .............. once in 2012 and once in 2013. We sold the place in 2014!

But what did they steal??

The missing goods over the 2 break-ins included ...........

Two pairs of wellington boots, a pair of old slippers that OH had left up there, a small plastic storage box (containing a frisbie, a chess set, a couple of old sun hats, some cleaning materials), and 4 very tatty ('cos they were very cheap) carpet runners.

They didn't touch either of the tables, any of the 8 patio-style very comfortable chairs,open any of the kitchen cupboards ............ or attempt to open or move the very large wooden box that held more valuables, or to break into the store room with valuable tools.

We reported both episodes to the police (RCMP) ............ both times the constable could hardly maintain his laughter as he wrote down the items, and said "it looks as though they were setting up their own cabin!!!!!

OH was p****d about the chess set .............. he'd bought it many years ago on a European trip!

David

David Report 12 Mar 2018 19:31

There's some would pinch the milk out of your tea :-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Mar 2018 23:04

Maybe they used the Chair to gain access to somebody's home
Listen out for local break ins :-( :-(

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 13 Mar 2018 17:39

Many years ago when there were fields at the back of our house some teenagers broke into our touring caravan. They emptied most of the cupboards including the food ones. They were caught the same day as they had put up a tent in the field. Stupid or what. We didnt realise all of this until the police arrived at our front door as they had broken into some houses as well.They took my camera and then took pictures of themselves. Everything had to be taken to the police station and many months later it was all returned to us including the bag of potatoes !!! You can just imagine the state they were in.lol. :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Mar 2018 18:39

The thing that surprised us when the two break-ins happened at our cabin was that the kitchen cupboards were not opened to see if there was any food.

This cabin was way way north and semi-remote, and there is a cabin culture in such areas that you do actually leave a few cans of food over the winter, in case someone gets stranded nearby, for whatever reason.

It is then accepted that they could break into a cabin in order to get shelter from the fierce cold, snow, etc., and that they could eat food left there, light a fire etc ................ as long as there was no unnecessary damage done.

So there were cans of soup, sardines, salmon, spam (!), and a couple of packets of soup, and I think a small amount of coffee in an airtight container.

In fact someone did break into the cabin during the first winter that we had it ........ it was then in terrible shape and we were at the very start of renovating it.

Whoever broke in that time very neatly kicked in the lower panel of the outer door stretched their arm up to open the lock, then placed the panel against the back of the porch area. They then leaned against the inside door (also locked) and that burst open very neatly. Unfortunately there was no help inside .......... they tried to light the old wood stove only to discover that there was a split in the chimney that went from the stove to the ceiling and then out through the roof. Plus we had left no food.

We found the doors all closed, except for the missing panel in the outside door, a dead and very desiccated squirrel on the stove pan, and he'd used the toilet, and ripped off the bottom of a curtain over the bathroom window to use as toilet paper! But then he'd discovered there was no water supply ........... OH had to clean that up.

Whoever broke in in 2012 and 2013, did not check for food .......... so they were not taking shelter.

There was damage where they had broken in, and the two outer doors were both left wide open. We were lucky that no animals had entered .......... but that also implies that they had broken in only a day or so before we made our first visit of the year, after the snow had mostly gone, and/or they had been frightened away. The question there is .............. who would have frightened them?? We had no neighbours for literally miles and miles, and few people would have been driving down the road past the gate at that time of year.