General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Total Disaster

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 17 Mar 2018 22:33

The first concrete indication that the day wasn't going to be all smooth sailing happened when I went to take the two chickens from the outside fridge.

This fridge is not usually running but is merely used as a convenient storage area for bottles of beer etc. On this occasion we had put the beer for the party in it and also various items of foodstuffs which needed to be kept cool, but couldn't be kept in the main kitchen fridge which was chockers. It had been running now for a couple of days

Said chickens had started to freeze! Fortunately, I had decided to take them from the fridge at 5.00am to allow an hour or so to bring them up to room temperature. So defrost them in a sink of water then checked the fridge to make sure no other items were affected.

By 7.00am the chickens were in the oven and I could start cleaning up the back patio area. The morning was quite breezy and as fast as I was brushing up leaves and sand, Mother Nature, was having a bit of a laugh by re-distributing my efforts into other parts of the patio.

The day had just begun :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2018 22:58

Not quite a total disaster - yet! :-0

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 17 Mar 2018 22:59

Dear Allan

Hello

Putting aside the chickens, hope the day gets better.

Remember, if anyone is cheeky about 70th birthday, just say you are 7 years old, with lots of tax added!

Take gentle care
Very best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Allan

Allan Report 17 Mar 2018 23:28

Thanks, EOS.

I'm glad to say that the day is well and truly over and that we can now return to what passes for normality in this particular household :-D

The chicken was only the warm up act, in a manner of speaking, for the main performance, but I'm too traumatised to continue at the moment. For that read, have to clear the house up and find the bits of broken glass from a beautiful vase that has now, alas, passed into whatever realm smashed vases enter at the end of their existence :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2018 23:30

:-( :-( :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2018 03:08

:-( :-( :-(

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 18 Mar 2018 08:39

Let's hope today is better! mind you its snowing hard here, and an elderly pony needs attention!! plus a dog needs walking, so......! :-(

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Mar 2018 10:27

Nearly as good as mine in 2016 :-D but that's another story .write it down Allan all the wonderful moments .Next year will be even better ;-) :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2018 10:51

I will, Barbra, I will. :-D

It has taken me all day today to recover from the ordeal, so I'll post later :-0

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 18 Mar 2018 11:51

Sounds like you need to lay down and a massage wouldn't come a miss.

Hope to hear how it really was a good birthday party.... :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Mar 2018 11:51

Hmm. Can we translate 'ordeal' as hangover?

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Mar 2018 12:48

I was reading this thinking he needs the hair of the dog great minds Maggie :-D

I'm sure it wasn't all bad Allan......

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 18 Mar 2018 12:50

Allan, you aren't still kalied are you? :-S :-D

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2018 21:37

Maggie, I don't do hangovers mainly because I try to maintain a certain amount of blood in my alcohol stream.

Caroline, like the Curate's egg it was good in parts; the best part being when they all left :-|

JoyLousie, see my response to Maggie above, although I will admit to having a couple of whiskeys at about 1.00pm to fortify myself for the coming ordeal (non-hangover type) :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2018 21:57

OK, so the two chickens were roasting, the house was full of bread, four loaves, two wholemeal and one white sandwich loaves and one white toaster (purchased by me in error) and two dozen bread rolls.

Now the plan was simple in design, but the execution was slightly flawed :-(

The menu consisted of crisps and picky things, carrot and celery sticks, some Polish sausage slices, little biscuits and dip. This was to be followed by mini meat pies, sausage rolls and some mini quiches. Then a chicken salad and a salmon quiche, together with a cold meat platter and prawns. the whole was to be finished with a fruit platter and cheeseboard. There was also a pasta salad and a coleslaw plus a plate of various sandwiches and some honey and soy chicken thighs. A cheesecake was also involved, which had been made the previous day together with the salmon quiche. ;-)

By 2.00pm OH had, by some miracle, prepared the trays for the picky things, the pasta salad and the coleslaw and also the assorted sandwiches as well as the chicken thighs.
2.00pm is important as that was the time I said that the whole shebang would start.

2.00pm came, and went, as did 2.15pm. No guests :-S

BrianW

BrianW Report 18 Mar 2018 21:58

Friday was a bit of a curate's egg with the puppy (now 9 1/2 months).
We had a training class in the morning which went quite well then went to a pub for lunch with other puppy parents as one of the pups is going off to advanced training shortly.
Gave Bianca a large rawhide chew during the meal which she enjoyed but we didn't watch carefully enough so she ate more of it than we intended.
Went to Sainbury's in the evening and as we entered the foyer she did a poo which we cleared up.
Coming out after shopping she was sick in the car park.
Filled the car with fuel and found that the fuel gauge is mis-reading so will have to get that checked out.
When we go home she was sick again so it was carpet scrubbing time.
So, a good start to the day but then downhill.

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2018 22:16

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Mar 2018 23:00

Brian - :-S

Allan - who wrote/ sent out the invitations?

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Mar 2018 23:08

And.......Allan.....2.16 everyone turned up at once???

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2018 23:16

I did, Maggie, and it was checked by OH before being sent. She knows what I'm like.

Between 2.15 and 2.30 Caroline except for one niece and her family who didn't turn up until 3.30pm, so that was twenty of them :-0