General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Laughing out loud

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2018 10:50

Do you miss anybody or any programme on #tv/radio that used to really make you laugh out loud (Lol).
We watched the recording last night of Dave Allan at Peace and thought it was very good. And it reminded me of how much Dave Allan used to make us laugh. Maybe he would not so much now but in the 70s he was funny.
I also used to laugh at Just Good Friends and Brush strokes and (to our shame) we still laugh at repeats of Last of the summer wine. And any of the two Ronnies if we catch them.

I don't find modern humourous programmes funny. Is that an age thing?
what made/makes you laugh? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Kense

Kense Report 15 Apr 2018 11:13

On the Radio, Round the Horne and I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again were my favourites.

On TV it would be Monty Python and Fawlty Towers.

Of the modern programmes the one that makes me laugh the most is Would I Lie to You.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2018 11:14

Stand up shows with Victoria Wood, Dave Gorman or Jasper Carrott.

It's probably, like Dave Allan, because their routine is based around events that can happen to anyone.

Madge

Madge Report 15 Apr 2018 11:14

Yes loads ..

Like you I miss light entertainment shows like the 2 ronnies. Stanley Baxter and Russ abbott also always made me laugh out of loud.

I too enjoyed just good friends she was dead moody and he just took the mick, great writing. I also liked and miss only fools and Rock and Chips. Good night sweetheart.

Itsmytelly loves Ant and Dec Saturday night take away I think its a bit samey. I detest BGT and anything Simon Cowell is in. Love Strictly and can watch the Voice.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Apr 2018 11:15

Morecambe and Wise for me.

The sketch with Eric and Andre Previn (with Eric saying he was playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order) still makes me laugh when it's shown today.

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Apr 2018 11:16

Too much 'canned laughter' on some radio 4 sketches. :-P

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2018 11:18

They don't make sitcoms like they used to Ann.

More recently I found 'Benidorm' well written and very funny but gave up as the last couple of series just weren't of the same standard - desperate to keep it going I think.
We watched Harry Hill last night as we used to and him funny - wasted half an hour wondering when it was going to start, no content whatsoever! :-\

Loved Dave Allen in his Heyday but he was absent from TV for sometime. When he returned he spoilt himself with the newly permitted sweary words.imo

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2018 11:19

Dave Allen certainly did and still does Ann :-) 'Rising Damp' and 'It Ain't half hot mum' and "Are you being served" all made me laugh. I think I probably watched most of the sitcoms at the time, and some have worn better than others. I was never a big fan of 'slapstick' type comedy.

Just trying to think what makes me laugh now lol, I enjoy 'Upstart Crow' but none of the current programmes make me laugh till I cry :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Apr 2018 11:24

To listen to old radio shows

RADIO 4 EXTRA https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4extra

ANGEL RADIO http://angelradio.co.uk/contact/4530247329

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Apr 2018 11:58

I listen to Radio 4 Extra most of the time, I have a DAB Radio.

At various times, it has 'Round the Horne', 'The Navy Lark',(both these are on, on Wednesday!) 'The Goon Show', 'I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again', 'The Men From the Ministry', as well as some not so good programmes that haven't aged too well, like 'Marriage Lines'.

Have to agree about Dave Allen and Victoria Wood - the best!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2018 12:08

Many here that made/make me laugh that I didn't list. I could only take a little of Fawlty towers as I don't find slapstick funny but there were cameos in it that I laughed at so we did watch it. And oh yes, Morecambe and Wise over nd over again I laugh at them especially as Kathleen says the Andre Previn sketch I think it was the actrsses etc who joined in that added to it. Angela Rippon, Shirley Bassey and many others.
Yes did laugh at round the Horn as well,
rose not seen or heard of Upstart Crow Liked all the others you mentioned
Island, yes I forgot that we didn't enjoy Dave Allen as much when he returned with the swearing. I really don't find swearing very funny at all.
Benidorm was funny at first but what I have seen of later series I have not found funny.

Madge, don't think i have seen rock and chips but the others you mention were funny, didn't always like Russ Abbott, not sure why but loved only fools and still laugh when the iconic ones are repeated. (The chandelier and the counter flap in the pub. even though the unexpected is now expected.)
We have only glanced at Saturday night takeawy but it didn't appeal. Admit to watching BGT when there is nothing else on, although last night we binned it for a repeat of gardeners World that we had missed. Admit to watching the live shows of the Xfactor but not religiously. Like the voice and love Strictly.
also loved Victoria wood and also Dinner Ladies.
Can't stand Mrs Brown's boys.

My mind has gone blank but are there any really funny programmes on at all now. Is it that humour has changed (hate all the swearing and four letter words). Or have we got too old to laugh???

'Miserable old so and sos?' :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2018 12:33

Ann, I think with all the comedy mentioned here, those involved knew how to keep it fresh and not drag out one series after another. I think Fawlty Towers and M & W made surprisingly few programmes, possibly to not tire them?

I used to like Ant and Decs schoolboy humour but as they front just about everything of it's ilk now I find them bland.

Island

Island Report 15 Apr 2018 12:34

George and Mildred :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2018 12:36

We haven't got too old to laugh. The Scriptwriters and comedians are now younger than us & write for their own age group. In 30 or 40 years time, that generation may well be complaining about the same thing ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Apr 2018 12:38

I like Dave Gorman, it's observational comedy. But some of the comedians seem to think that just being louder makes them funnier, it doesn't :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Apr 2018 13:26

Actually I just remembered I do like Car share. and there are a couple of comedians that make me laugh, mainly because their acts don't include swearing and their jokes are subtle.

Island, yes you are right, Morecambe and Wise made surprisingly few programmes.

OH likes Michael Macintire and I fins some of his programmes funny but I can only take him in small doses.

My Dad used to roll about laughing at tommy Cooper, I couldn't stand him.

Do you think comedy on radio is funny because you use your imagination to picture the scene? I have a problem with radio these days, even with hearing aids I find I miss bits because the clarity is lost. My hearing problem not the radio's problem.

Von

Von Report 15 Apr 2018 13:39

Current programmes that make me laugh are

Have I got news for you, Question of sport , Would I lie to you, Graham Norton and the News Quiz on radio 4

Older ones have mostly been mentioned - Only Fools and Horses and Doc Martin never ceases to make me laugh :-D

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 Apr 2018 13:52

'Allo 'Allo & Dad's Army for me :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 15 Apr 2018 14:35

Allo Allo for me too Belle, gets me everytime :-D :-D :-D especially the police man!!!

American programme Everybody Loves Raymond and Will & Grace
:-D :-D :-D

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 15 Apr 2018 19:32

Catherine Tate as granny makes me crease up and don't forget step toe and son :-D