General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ant McPartlin £86k fine

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 16 Apr 2018 15:37

IMO if they wanted him to be penalised by that sum it should have been a donation to charity.

Haven't heard of such a large fine in my recollection.

Mersey

Mersey Report 16 Apr 2018 15:52

Totally agree with you Sue!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Apr 2018 15:56

It is about time they made an example of these overpaid nobodys.

Apparently not even one weeks wage so he is hardly likely to miss it!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Apr 2018 16:00

It's about two thirds of what he gets for each show.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 16 Apr 2018 16:15

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been financially penalised just that the money should not have gone into authority coffers!!!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Apr 2018 18:33

It has been the law that fines levied by courts are paid into the coffers of the crown since 1066. Civil wars have been fought over the issue. There is no prospect at all of any change.

Indeed it was the reason for my Speed Awareness Course - Dorset CC would have received nothing from a £ 100 fine but got the whole £ 110 from the course, treasury nil. Apparently they make over £ 3 M a year from it which would even make Ant blink. In the context of Ant's fine I had to pay 90 mins for the fee/fine. Ouch.

It is a scarce and difficult skill to entertain people and those who can do it have always been sure to find fame and fortune including Ant n Dec. Just because they are not your cup of tea does not make them "nonentities". Such failed put downs do make clear the vast space between your bubble and modern Britain.

I myself hope Ant is soon reunited with Dec. I am sure he has learned his lesson.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Apr 2018 18:50

I agree IGP, he could have killed somebody.

Money is not the solution imo.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Apr 2018 18:57

I gather the claim for damages and injury to the other party is yet to come.

Given the size of the fine for driving whist parlarsed with his mother on board I guess it will not be a small one either.

Perhaps it is now dawning on him it his bubble that has burst.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Apr 2018 19:12

"It is about time they made an example of these overpaid nobodys."

Better to be an overpaid nobody, than just a nobody?
;-)

I hope Ant gets the help he needs. He and Dec do entertain ( from back when they were Saturday morning 'kids' ) and it's not easy to sustain a career this long. Good luck to them both.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Apr 2018 19:24

It should have been £1 million to Charity,

Bet he thinks he has got away with it now and everybody will forgive him.
Well I certainly won't.
What about that poor mother and her child,what trauma have they gone through.They deserve at least 1/2 million in compensation.

And it's not that he can't afford to pay the money as he gets £3 million for the Jungle.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Apr 2018 19:44

I don't think anyone underestimates the trauma of the mother and child Sue, (and it doesn't mean they won't get compensation, though that hasn't as yet been mentioned as far as I have seen ).

I can't say whether he thinks 'he's got away with it', as for forgiving him I don't think that's up to me to do? it's up to the people involved in the accident and the people directly affected.

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Apr 2018 20:37

The two miserable miscreant Irish rugby players 'got off' lightly, compared. :-S

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 16 Apr 2018 23:41

To give him his due a public apology was made.

Of course because he is famous the damage to his reputation will be publicised more than Joe Bloggs who killed someone in a car which had no MOT, and driver had no insurance and was suspended from driving.

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers and I'm pleased there were no serious injuries. I do feel, however, the parties involved are going to make the most of this sad accident.
By all means compensate them in line with usual civil payments but don't pay them huge sums just appropriate amounts. Ambulance chasing lawyers lined up!

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Apr 2018 07:10

"I believe that he was really sorry, but that people would not believe he was sorry & that he was not sorry enough".

{Witty words by the satirist Samuel Butler who died 115 years ago.}

Madge

Madge Report 17 Apr 2018 22:13

Disagree I think the fine should go to relevent place as Rollo's £100.

He looked awful

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Apr 2018 22:19

I don't think his apology was genuine.If anyone noticed he said***I let myself down.and everyone else***

His career is over .

Madge

Madge Report 17 Apr 2018 22:20

Nah I disagree Sue he looks in the pit of despair he'll be back

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 17 Apr 2018 22:32

Course he looked in the pit of despair,he has withdrawal symptoms.

He won't look right for at least a year without the booze he's thrown down his neck.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Apr 2018 08:20

The injured parties will of course be making a claim for damages. The NHS will be sending their bill to the insurers. Ant will be paying a substantial dry cleaning clinic fee after which he is likely to be deemed employable once more.

It is very sad when anybody's life becomes entangled in drugs and alcohol. They need help not the turning of a blind eye or to be pilloried.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Apr 2018 21:28

Well serves him right,,,,,,and his passenger was his mother fgs,,,,,,,,,,didnt she notice her son smelled of booze.or looked unfit to drive.?